Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone ever fool around with those hydro dipping kits?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Ronin Tech, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Ronin Tech

Ronin Tech Snohomish Member

looking to be schooled on this process, i get the baiscs of how it works but am wanting to know about the nuances of it.

are there particular brands and such that need to be used with guns or is all hydro dips created equal...more or less...

also whats the durability like and where should i shop for this stuff.

looking to hydro dip a few of my "trash" rifles for fun, but don't know where to start.

The Nothing likes this.
  2. ducrider

ducrider Canyonville, OR Active Member

let me know how it goes, I would like to try it out also, i do my own cerakoting so this would be pretty fun also

3. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

I have tried, and like , the Gunskins thing. It hides the roll marks, and such, but can be taken off, with no ill effects to the original finish. Was actually pretty east to put on, slowly, but surely, same prep work, brake cleaner spray, but they look great, and protect the normal finish.
    pistol_zps96550789.jpg

Ronin Tech likes this.
  4. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I prep with rubbing alcohol and finish with Krylon/Rusty-oleum but I might switch to a Vodka prep, more creative that way!

2A2Dend and Dyjital like this.
  5. Ronin Tech

Ronin Tech Snohomish Member

yeah, i feel less confident in pulling that off than just dipping something, i know if every edge wasn't cut perfect it would annoy me to no end, with the dip if it is smudged or something that's not as a big of a deal due to it not adding an dimensional thickness.....

i found a few kits for $50 on amazon, i may just buy one of those and see what happens.
    i'll report results if i get around to it.

6. Garg

They are pre-cut.

7. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Any news on these! I was looking at these too for a multicam print on my glock lower and one of the ARs.

8. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

How does the skin fit over the handgaurd? Is it a solid piece you wrap and cut to fit?
    Since there's a gazillion handgaurds and stocks.

9. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I bought a multi-cam stencil from Brownell's, have yet to use it, just cause I'm lazy and did not have the correct colors, but that may change this summer

clearconscience likes this.
  10. Garg

There is a large piece for cutting out for hand guards, and stocks and such.

clearconscience likes this.