JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So has anybody compared the accuracy before & after?

The linked thread showed the different dies/etc., but it appears the tester never got around to testing the accuracy?

I did a very short test with a 10/22 comparing bulk ammo (e.g., Remington Thunderbolt) to Federal Hunter Match and the match ammo had group sizes about half that of bulk ammo. Towards the beginning of winter I found some Eley Subsonic HP that I have not tested yet.

Both the Federal and the Eley were purchased as prices well below what others are now asking for bulk ammo, if they have it in stock (I've seen some here and some retailers asking centerfire prices - 20-40 cents per round - for rimfire ammo). E.G., 15-16¢ per round for the Federal Hunter Match and Eley where LuckyGunner wants 33¢+/round for standard Federal Champion ammo that used to sell for 6-7¢ per round a year ago.

My opinion is that there is more to accuracy than simply resizing the bullet, especially with rimfire, and that well made low end match ammo with HP bullets (like Federal Match and Eley, RWS, etc.) is probably a better investment for hunting. In fact, from some of the tests I have seen with the Paco Accurizer, the accuracy is worse than unmodified ammo.

I have 500 rounds of the Hunter Match and Eley, and for my purposes (SHTF hunting) that is plenty. I don't shoot near as much as most - my use would be for hunting rabbits and such for food, not varmints/etc. - so 1K rounds of hunting grade rimfire ammo is adequate for now.

So has anybody compared the accuracy before & after?

The linked thread showed the different dies/etc., but it appears the tester never got around to testing the accuracy?

I did a very short test with a 10/22 comparing bulk ammo (e.g., Remington Thunderbolt) to Federal Hunter Match and the match ammo had group sizes about half that of bulk ammo. Towards the beginning of winter I found some Eley Subsonic HP that I have not tested yet.

Both the Federal and the Eley were purchased as prices well below what others are now asking for bulk ammo, if they have it in stock (I've seen some here and some retailers asking centerfire prices - 20-40 cents per round - for rimfire ammo). E.G., 15-16¢ per round for the Federal Hunter Match and Eley where LuckyGunner wants 33¢+/round for standard Federal Champion ammo that used to sell for 6-7¢ per round a year ago.

My opinion is that there is more to accuracy than simply resizing the bullet, especially with rimfire, and that well made low end match ammo with HP bullets (like Federal Match and Eley, RWS, etc.) is probably a better investment for hunting. In fact, from some of the tests I have seen with the Paco Accurizer, the accuracy is worse than unmodified ammo.

I have 500 rounds of the Hunter Match and Eley, and for my purposes (SHTF hunting) that is plenty. I don't shoot near as much as most - my use would be for hunting rabbits and such for food, not varmints/etc. - so 1K rounds of hunting grade rimfire ammo is adequate for now.

I have to admit that I haven't given it a solid accuracy test. I have not noticed a loss of any accuracy. But my reasons for getting the Waltz die was not for additional accuracy but for better impact on sage rats. As I mentioned way back, I was using CCI Mini Mag HP ammo and it was hitting with a pop. The rat was then flopping around for a few minutes. While they're varmint, I still feel obligated to make it as quick a kill as possible. I'm pretty disappointed in the performance of the Mini Mag HP. When I shifted to the Federal Automatch that was hollowpointed, it hit with a "thwack" sound and made big holes. Much more often then not, it was DRT. So whether I lost some accuracy or not is not my concern. The terminal results is what I want.

But my reasons for getting the Waltz die was not for additional accuracy but for better impact on sage rats
right i got that, and i hear ya on the clean kills. i agree no matter what the intelligence level pain is pain.

has anyone ever tried "pointing" any of the subsonic stuff? ive heard (and it makes perfect sense that most of the LRP rimfire people are using subs so it doesnt have to go transonic shortly after leaving the barrel.
anyone have any idea what the avrg distance is for the transonic zone in 36/40 std vel. .22? ad also if the HP's have enough velocity to open up at those speeds?
just picked up the last couple packs of cheap subsonic bulk from wallys when i was there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top