JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just purchased a Waltz 22LR die. Anyone else out there using one? Just looking for any tips on what worked best or warnings about issues you may have encountered.

I only heard about this die a few months ago. I went sage rat hunting for the first time this year and a buddy I went with uses one to hollowpoint his 22LR ammo.

In a nutshell, the die is made by Neal Waltz of Ohio. He's a retired machinist and has been making them for quite a while. The die swages your 22 bullet to a uniform size. You can also hollowpoint your ammo with it. Some people use it to improve the accuracy of their rounds and others use it to make hunting rounds.

1564513187651.png

On my first sage rat hunt, I was using CCI Mini Mag HP ammo. While accurate, I was kind of disappointed at the performance. It just seemed to punch clean thru and not very clean kills. I quickly shifted to my AR. On that one day hunt, I shot about 50 rounds of Mini Mag and about 420 rounds of 5.56.

On my second hunt, I went with this buddy. I was surprised when he said he was shooting Federal Automatch and he suggested I bring a box. The night before, he loaned me his Waltz die and I hollowpointed the box. The next day we went out shooting and what a difference! The Mini Mag HP rounds would hit with a "pop" and pretty much the same results. The Automatch HP rounds would hit with a "thwack" and were DRT. It would also blow some guts out. Both rounds are rated at 1200 fps.

Mini Mag HP at about 40 yards. Flopped around a bit.
Sage Rat 1.jpg

Automatch HP round at about same distance. DRT
Rat 1.jpg

This second hunt was a two day hunt with a buddy. I shot about 400 rounds of 22LR and about 120 rounds of 5.56. This was later in the season so the critters were a bit skittish but for two shooters, we had a good time. We were both making clean kills out past 100 yards with our 22s. While the dies are not cheap, it did help save on ammo cost, provided a cleaner kill, and I find shooting 22LR more pleasant. After seeing the difference, I had to get one.

Someone might ask "why not just X the bullet with a knife"? I have tried that on other critters and did not find it consistent. Secondly, it often changed the POI too.

I have one that I use in a Lee Hand Press. During the Obama years, the only .22 ammo that seemed to be somewhat available in these parts was quality target type ammo with solid bullets, so that's what I bought. Now with a pretty big supply of that, I've been hollow pointing some of it to shoot grey diggers and am very pleased. It's tough to claim that it improves the accuracy a lot as it's pretty accurate to begin with, but instead of just punching a hole through them and watching them crawl/run off, now there's a distinctive pop and they are dead right there. I've had good results with CCI SV and a couple of target loads from RUAG, a German brand. I've played a little with enhancing the size of the HP in several HVHP loads and that too increases the impact effect.
It's easy to use and once you get a system figured out, pretty fast. I think I paid appx $120 for the die and $15-20 for the press. If you want to upgrade a bunch of ammo, I recommend using one.

ok, I'm a bit tired, but where are the pictures of the tipped Bullets?
IMG_E2921.JPG

Sorry. Trying to get a picture was a little tricky. From L to R: CCI Mini Mag HP, Fed Automatch (1st try), 2nd try, and one from my buddy.

I think the two I created might be just a bit too much. The one on the far right is what I used on the sage rat hunt.

As Sagerat22 commented, I have mine mounted in a Lee Hand Press. Sat in the motel room at night, watching TV and cranking out HP rounds. I don't know if it improved the accuracy but I don't think it hurt it either.

I have one that I use in a Lee Hand Press. During the Obama years, the only .22 ammo that seemed to be somewhat available in these parts was quality target type ammo with solid bullets, so that's what I bought. Now with a pretty big supply of that, I've been hollow pointing some of it to shoot grey diggers and am very pleased. It's tough to claim that it improves the accuracy a lot as it's pretty accurate to begin with, but instead of just punching a hole through them and watching them crawl/run off, now there's a distinctive pop and they are dead right there. I've had good results with CCI SV and a couple of target loads from RUAG, a German brand. I've played a little with enhancing the size of the HP in several HVHP loads and that too increases the impact effect.
It's easy to use and once you get a system figured out, pretty fast. I think I paid appx $120 for the die and $15-20 for the press. If you want to upgrade a bunch of ammo, I recommend using one.

You sound like you have the info I'm wondering about. Good results with SV loads? I've only used Federal Automatch which is 1,200 fps. A SV load might be even quieter. How far out are you finding it effective for you?

It's not rocket science but I was curious whether you think the larger HP makes a difference?

I just bought mine and paid $135 + $15 shipping. That seemed pretty steep at first. You can buy a lot of ammo for $150. But I'm really hooked on this sage rat hunting so I will get a lot of use from it on sage rats and other varmints. It's worth the clean kills.

View attachment 604786

Sorry. Trying to get a picture was a little tricky. From L to R: CCI Mini Mag HP, Fed Automatch (1st try), 2nd try, and one from my buddy.

I think the two I created might be just a bit too much. The one on the far right is what I used on the sage rat hunt.

As Sagerat22 commented, I have mine mounted in a Lee Hand Press. Sat in the motel room at night, watching TV and cranking out HP rounds. I don't know if it improved the accuracy but I don't think it hurt it either.
That's cool!

I really can't tell much difference, other than sound and drop, between the SV and HV loads. HV is a bit louder and maybe drops 1-2" less than SV, but that's not a firm thing as there is actually some variation in velocity in both SV and HV depending on maker. The SV I use is pretty accurate anyway, so really my goal is to enhance its lethality with a big hollow point. I shoot a lot out to 100 yds and the sound of a hit from a SV round is just as impressive as from a HV load and the rats and diggers appear to be just as dead.

I have a Paco tool as well and it works well too. It does require that you develop the ability to gauge your hammer technique so that it's the same with each hammer blow, but it does come with a variety of punches that create different bullet point shapes. You also need a decent table to operate it on and a soft faced hammer. My biggest issue is that I really don't like hammering on loaded rounds, even though I've never heard of one going off. They are definitely cheaper than the Waltz die.

Kinda sorta missing part of the purpose of these rimfire swaging dies.

Convertible rimfire revolvers, as the Ruger Single Six, have a compromise barrel, which has a bore diameter large enough for .22 WMR bullets, but a little oversize for .22 LR bullets. So, some of these revolvers have accuracy struggles with LR ammo. When I run ammo thru my Paco tool, it swages the bullet to the slightly larger ID of the die, making the LR bullets a tighter fit in the bore of these convertible revolvers. And it does make a difference. Creating a hollow point is a secondary benefit, as HP rounds are already available.

I was looking for a resizing die perticularly the one made by Neil Waltz...
Please let me know how I can acquire one, or if there is anyone on the forum offering one.

I have a Paco tool as well and it works well too. It does require that you develop the ability to gauge your hammer technique so that it's the same with each hammer blow, but it does come with a variety of punches that create different bullet point shapes. You also need a decent table to operate it on and a soft faced hammer. My biggest issue is that I really don't like hammering on loaded rounds, even though I've never heard of one going off. They are definitely cheaper than the Waltz die.
sounds like the perfect place to use a arbor type press ,
these things are neat! hopefully i dont forget about them by the time i have some spare cash for one.
thanks OP for posting.

I've been looking for a long time for a waltz die set
quick search for Neal Waltz of Ohio produced a third option with 8 different "seater stems" i hate to link to another forum but the write up is VERY nice and provides all contact info for all three makers. and tons of nice pics. enjoy!

I've been looking for a long time for a waltz die set

Tomcat, I haven't searched lately but when I was buying my die, the only place you could get it was from Mr. Waltz himself.
I tried emailing him a couple times and never got an answer. That friend who showed me the die originally, told me to just call him. I did and got his answering machine. Mr. Waltz called me back a few hours later. He told me to send him a money order or bank check and he would ship one out. He said he has them made a couple times a year and just got a shipment in. I don't think he does the email thing anymore.

I've been using mine for a while now. I'm still very pleased with it. I do find it best to clean out the inside about every 200 rounds. Most times it's just a good wipe down with a cloth to clear the wax. I also found that a small hollowpoint works well and is more accurate than a large hollowpoint.

This year for sage rats, I'm going to use the last of my Federal Automatch and then shift to CCI SV.

Good luck!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads