JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
You still have to buy rails. Then you need to make sure you buy ones specifically designed for keymod or M-Lok, no to mention MOE. For those of us who use vertical fore grips and don't have an issue with picatinny rails roughing up their creamy, coconut lotion hands, it's just a hassle, not to mention mounting these tiny little rail screws with hands the size of elephant ears.

I prefer standard pic rail personally but It's hardly offered anymore on most handguards. I don't go for keymod at all personally. I hate how a tiny little piece of aluminum pic rail that costs $0.22 to make they charge $22. So I definitely hear you but that's what people want I guess.

img-Rail_for_AR15_M4_Plastic_Handguard.gif

As opposed to the above?

Or feeling like you're holding a cheese grater if you don't have rail covers.. :rolleyes:
MONSTRUM-TACTICAL-AR-15-CARBINE-DROP-IN-7IN-7-INCH-QUAD-RAIL-HANDGUARD-F2__99895.1548801015.12...jpg

But seriously though, there exist a great many products that directly mounts to keymod or m-lock slots without a rail...

Sleek, slim, low profile, lightweight.... All that operator bs that sells. Personally, I like the way a railed handguard looks if done right. If done cheap, a rifle looks like a $2 hoe asking for $20. Aesthetically, the Barrett rec7 got everything right despite only having a top rail.

Sleek, slim, low profile, lightweight.... All that operator bs that sells. Personally, I like the way a railed handguard looks if done right. If done cheap, a rifle looks like a $2 hoe asking for $20. Aesthetically, the Barrett rec7 got everything right despite only having a top rail.

I'm a wee bit partial to just a top rail m'self.

IMG_8303.jpg

I prefer the abbreviated integral rail forends, the ones with just the top and forward sections having the rails milled integral with them! Nothing to mess with, and the rail sections are out of the way!

What I'd love to find is something like this with a 3-4 slot rail on the front center for a front sight mffar9.jpg

If I were to build a slightly modernized DPMS Kitty Kat with brace and a C7 upper in .300BLK... using low profile gas block and a longer free float knurled tube that covers a flash can of some sort.. essentially a retro Honey Badger .300BLK pistol.. full-k23p_1.jpg

I like a smooth handguard. Since I don't put a lot of stuff on it, the tiny screws and rails don't bother me... one and done. No need for a full length rail, only the one or two rail sections (QD swivel and maybe a light) and no more slots than I need.

I also have a tendency to strip unnecessary chrome trim and geegaws off of any vehicle I buy so there's a pattern there.

I landed on M-Lok by default... never had an interest in changing to keymod.

one of the purposes of those attachment options, is that they can bypass pic rails altogether, although qd stuff usually needs a rail.

The only reason I have a quad rail on one AR is it's still about the most robust setup along with a pinned FSB, and that particular rifle is built to be as robust as possible. The rest are built to be light and fast, or tuck suppressors, which quad rails don't really do.

What I'd love to find is something like this with a 3-4 slot rail on the front center for a front sightView attachment 734355

If I were to build a slightly modernized DPMS Kitty Kat with brace and a C7 upper in .300BLK... using low profile gas block and a longer free float knurled tube that covers a flash can of some sort.. essentially a retro Honey Badger .300BLK pistol.. View attachment 734356
There is this:

I have run them before, really like the size, fits my hands well! :cool:

It's one of those "to each there own" situations. A lot of guns, accessories, etc, I have no interest in, but I won't begrudge someone else is that is what floats their boat. I personally never saw quad pic rails to be that great. Many people seem to end up putting covers on them anyway and the whole point behind them was so that military could attach a bunch of accessories or even tailor the gun for a specific mission. Fast forward to keymod and mlok - people started to realize that carrying weight sucks, carrying unnecessary weight sucks even more. Reducing "do nothing" weight was the death of the quad pic rail. Mlok for example can always attach pic rails if desired, but for many people, it's an overall weight reduction for rails they will never use, and less of a concern about the hands getting chewed up. From a robust standpoint, obviously the more metal you slap together the theoretically tougher it will be, so on that note quad pic rails do have that leg up.

Keymod looks like a pallet rack.
I prefer Mlok and clean sides. Ones without a continuous rail on top is even better.

Only rail on mine is a shorty up front for a bipod.
Only attachment is an Mlok QD sling mount.

I own all three variations.

I do like pic rails more. But thats what Im used to. However that being said I mount things.. then find I dislike the clutter and go back to a basic setup again.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top