JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know, I know... :s0115:

reporter-about-things-happening-cant-about-shortage-memes-4ab3881f470ae868-cd062cb4fd05c12f.jpg

Funny you should ask! Here at Westlake Resort, where we're staying, I was standing on the step to the deck yesterday taking video of a doe standing 5' from me. Never been that close to a deer before! They wander through here pretty regularly between the lake and the house. We watched her munch the hosts tomatoes before we got face to face.
Coupla decades ago I hosted the very nice man from Falls Church VA that runs the HomePro biz. He was here for a week and we went in the drift boat on the Grande Ronde and also took a plane into Red's Horse Ranch on the Minam. We backpacked from Red's to a small lake not too far away. And one morning when I had a pretty big campfire going, a curious doe came into camp. We moved into the smoke from the fire and the doe went right by him, close enough to touch. He was AMAZED! Had never seen anything like that.

Did I ever tell you about the time the elk were running and a cow came down the trail and stopped with her hoof on my toe?

Last Edited:
Coupla decades ago I hosted the very nice man from Falls Church VA that runs the HomePro biz. He was here for a week and we went in the drift boat on the Grande Ronde and also took a plane into Red's Horse Ranch on the Minam. We backpacked from Red's to a small lake not too far away. And one morning when I had a pretty big campfire going, a curious doe camp into camp. We moved into the smoke from the fire and the doe went right by him, close enough to touch. He was AMAZED! Had never seen anything like that.

Did I ever tell you about the time the elk were running and a cow came down the trail and stopped with her hoof on my toe?
When I was stationed in the Tri-Cities in the USCG, the station was an Aids to Navigation station - we managed buoys, signs and lights along the rivers and lakes. On one road trip we camped at a park at the confluence of the Spokane and Columbia just down stream of Kettle Falls. When we woke up in the morning there were half a dozen white tails in camp.

When I was stationed in the Tri-Cities in the USCG, the station was an Aids to Navigation station - we managed buoys, signs and lights along the rivers and lakes. On one road trip we camped at a park at the confluence of the Spokane and Columbia just down stream of Kettle Falls. When we woke up in the morning there were half a dozen white tails in camp.
Was they keepin warm? Three Doe Night???

Was they keepin warm? Three Doe Night???
They was chowing down. It was a nice park - we had it all to ourselves. It was a fun trip. Went all the way up the Columbia as far as you can go in a powered boat (I/O) to China Flats before it got too shallow. Ditto with the Spokane - got the boat stuck on rocks a few times in rapids.

I really liked that area - real nice. Did a little bit of deer hunting with the CWO there, but got nothing.

Some years ago, when I lived in the Seattle area, I went to look at buying property between Republic and Couer d' Alene, but never followed thru. Glad I didn't now; I would not be able to handle the cold winters at my age.

Some years ago, when I lived in the Seattle area, I went to look at buying property between Republic and Couer d' Alene, but never followed thru. Glad I didn't now; I would not be able to handle the cold winters at my age.
Sad to read that it is all turning Blue. Not something I'd want to deal with anyway. More of a Ruby Ridge type. Or maybe on the Yaak but that looks really really cold.

A few weeks ago my 16yo daughter ran upstairs freaking out and scared for her life. Someone was prowling around outside her window. I grabbed the 45, went down stairs, turned on the yard light and found a doe and a couple of fawns. The problem with the exploding deer population is the lack of 4 legged and 2 legged predators... nothing to cull the heards.

Question. Any of you experiencing deer have dogs on your property? Curious how much deer and other game are used to civilization.

On a side note. I took the Amtrak to Sacramento a few years back. Passed through old mining towns with only a few occupied homes, but also saw packs of deer in numbers I never thought. Winter time but no snow.

We are noticing more here in SW Wash. We live on a lake- so drought isn't the reason. I think increased predators has a ton to do with it here. They know they're safe (for the most part) in yards. The amount of cougar/bear in our area is through the roof. We need to start hound hunts back up to knock these cats down, they're doing number on the local herds. That and hoof rot for the elk.

Question. Any of you experiencing deer have dogs on your property? Curious how much deer and other game are used to civilization.

On a side note. I took the Amtrak to Sacramento a few years back. Passed through old mining towns with only a few occupied homes, but also saw packs of deer in numbers I never thought. Winter time but no snow.
Dogs presence do have an impact IMO

Neighbor used to let his dog run loose a lot. It would come visit me almost daily.

The dog would roam quite a bit and sometimes get in trouble by attacking or even killing pets. Then one time it attacked a dog being walked and at that point a complaint was made and the dog kept inside or on a leash.

After that point deer seemed to visit my property more often. Mice and gophers did too.

I am one of two (maybe three now) on my road that doesn't have a dog - the rest do, but the dogs generally stay on their property.

This year has been like all the rest as far as number of deer near my home. We have these little black tail running around in the nearby woodland park and they venture into the houses for good food. I had five bucks bedding down in my yard for a while when in velvet. They come around at night now and I catch them on the game camera. The does and fawns eat at my grape arbor daily and will even jump in the back yard with my dog. If they are quiet the dog won't know they are there and the deer get a good meal on the lawn.

My other property is at 3200 foot elevation and we have mule deer up there and this year the numbers are fewer for bucks but about the same for does milling around.

My horse pasture is a place the deer hang out and hide their fawns. I had to build in a special pass through for the little one's and a short section of fence easy to jump over so they did not feel trapped in the field. With the drought this year water has become an issue for them. The river is close by but my bird baths are a perfect watering hole for them.

I am used to seeing big deer up home and on my other property and these little blacktail, that weigh 80 pounds, with massive antlers just crack me up. I have never hunted these as they are yard pets to me....others in the neighborhood think these little guys are trophy's and will hunt them......me, I want something over 150 pounds and preferably over 175 dressed out at a minimum. I do like seeing them around even though the wreak havoc on my small trees and the grapes.

Saw a dead one today in a driveway on Clark Hill road - homeowner there has multiple apple trees and there is a large apple orchard across the road. I assume deer was crossing the road there after or before eating apples on the ground - they do love those apples.

This last year around Washington county I have seen more does and fawns than usual, and the occasional buck, usually fork and horns. They are certainly tamer, I can walk out to my apple trees and club one to death.

I am also seeing more wild rabbits, which I have not seen in years. Might be related, but I haven't heard as many coyotes as in the past.

When I first moved on my property many moons ago, a deer sighting in the neighborhood was a rarity. Now, not so much. Now they are cloven hoven rats that want to eat my roses.

I used to go on deer hunts. Camp out in the woods even. Now if I want one of those dumb goats, just go outside at dawn.

When I first moved on my property many moons ago, a deer sighting in the neighborhood was a rarity. Now, not so much. Now they are cloven hoven rats that want to eat my roses.

I used to go on deer hunts. Camp out in the woods even. Now if I want one of those dumb goats, just go outside at dawn.
I'm lucky, my deer usually come around every other hour. Affords me the opportunity to sleep in anf hunt at my leisure.

I am surrounded by private timberland. My old dog could care less about deer. The deer would hang out feeding in my fields whenever they wanted. My new dog barks at them and sometimes chases them. They have learned the dog. They know he stays in at night and come close to the house to feed in the yard at night. Even though he chases them, they still come back. They were eating the grape vines this weekend after dark and we let the dog out unknowingly. He tore after them and chased them off. They were back later that night.

My neighbors dog likes to play chase games with the deer. He runs up to them barking. The doe with fawns get pissed and chase him. He runs. They turn back and he runs back to bark at them to do it again. I first saw this hunting across the road from his place. After the second time the deer chased him, I started filming it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top