JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS Tactical and was greatly disappointed with the OEM Stock.

It has the feel of something made out of recycled rubber kids toys. The forend is as flexible as ----well, you can guess for your self. So "limp" that when shooting from a bipod or even having a sandbag rest too close to the front of the forend, the barrel now touches the barrel channel even though there was lots of clearance when standing upright.

Anyone else have this rifle and changed out the stock?

Luckily I had kept the old H-S Precision from an earlier Remington purchase. While it too wasn't the best, it's like night and day compared to the Hogue.

Is there anything that makes the Hogue more attractive to some, even with the "limp noodle" forend?

I recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS Tactical and was greatly disappointed with the OEM Stock.

It has the feel of something made out of recycled rubber kids toys. The forend is as flexible as ----well, you can guess for your self. So "limp" that when shooting from a bipod or even having a sandbag rest too close to the front of the forend, the barrel now touches the barrel channel even though there was lots of clearance when standing upright.

Anyone else have this rifle and changed out the stock?

Luckily I had kept the old H-S Precision from an earlier Remington purchase. While it too wasn't the best, it's like night and day compared to the Hogue.

Is there anything that makes the Hogue more attractive to some, even with the "limp noodle" forend?

I have the same gun, and I use a safari sling. I notice the flex also when I carry it. Doesn't seem to affect the accuracy for me. I actually like the grip and feel of the hogue, but am also looking for a different stock/chassis.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

The Hogue is more attractive to the OEM's and it is a small step up from the bottom barrel synthetic stocks. But that's why base models are cheaper and getting the gun with an HS/Mcmillan etc costs you more.

While not aesthetically pleasing these stocks that are not stiff do not seem to terribly detract from accuracy. I have two Tikka's and a savage rimfire with tupperware stocks that flex terribly and they all still shoot lights out. These rifles I view as tools and therefore I can live with the plastic cheese stocks. I do have a Kimber Montana that has a factory stock that Is quite well done and stiff. The rifle cost twice as much as the Tikka's but it doesn't shoot twice as good.

I've not tried an actual Hogue rifle stock. And I can see the potential for flex there. But don't they also sell a higher end one with a reinforced bed for that reason? Thought I saw that a few years ago.

On the other hand, I love the Hogue overmolded pistol grip and forearm on my 12 ga pump. Completely different animal compared to those hard plastic parts sold by other outfits. Comfy shooting box after box of shells. I hope to get the overmolded buttstock too if that becomes available on its own. (If anyone has one they hate, I have cash and wheels.)

My application doesn't involve 300yd sniping with a sling, tripod or bench rest. But if I needed a second shorty shotgun, I'd buy the same furniture again, or the similar Pachmayr Vindicator. Soft rubber is nice on light shotguns.

The 10/22 wears one and I do feel the flex but it doesn't affect accuracy. However when getting a new stock for my 700 (factory wood one warped) I went with a HS Precision (couldn't afford a McMillan or Manners).
I do like the texture, although for using it with a sling it may be a little TOO grippy.

I found the aesthetics wanting on my Rem 700 aac-sd .308 rifle. The front end seemed too flexible and I have no desire to mill away material to fit the seekins bottom metal I have with the gun.
Then I shot it. Pleasantly surprised. Shot off sandbags off the hood of the truck, groups are sub-moa at 100 yards. Since performance is the determining factor with this rifle, now I'm not sure if I'll change the stock or add the detachable bottom metal...

I use Hogue stocks on hunting rifles. In the cold, wet weather the rubbery surface is very easy to keep a grip on and the stock is pretty quiet if bumped. Most of the other styles of synthetic stocks, including the kevlar/fiberglass one on my Kimber Montana, will "echo" if knocked about. With the exception of the shape of the base of the grip, I really like the shape of the stock. I put one on an older Savage for a friend, turning an old klunker into a trim, lively rifle.
I would hesitate to put a bi-pod on one that didn't have the full length bedding block because of the potential for pressure against the barrel. However, I've not had any accuracy problems when using a rifle with the standard, pillar bedded stock, rested or not.

I use Hogue stocks on hunting rifles. In the cold, wet weather the rubbery surface is very easy to keep a grip on and the stock is pretty quiet if bumped. Most of the other styles of synthetic stocks, including the kevlar/fiberglass one on my Kimber Montana, will "echo" if knocked about. With the exception of the shape of the base of the grip, I really like the shape of the stock. I put one on an older Savage for a friend, turning an old klunker into a trim, lively rifle.
I would hesitate to put a bi-pod on one that didn't have the full length bedding block because of the potential for pressure against the barrel. However, I've not had any accuracy problems when using a rifle with the standard, pillar bedded stock, rested or not.

Pretty much what I've concluded. The stock is good for a field stock as long as you don't plan on using a bipod.

I've removed it already and bedded the rifle into the HS Precision that came with my .308 5-R Milspec. We'll see how it shoots Thursday.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top