JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a safe that has turned out to be 90% ammo cans or so.

I keep either trading one kind of ammo for another or finding a great deal I can't pass up (even on calibers I don't have but plan on having some day).

Then I feel like I have to organize it as best I can in the space I have right away.

It's not like I have so much that I can't keep track of it but there is something very satisfying about reorganizing things to get ready for my next trip out shooting.

Anyone else get that itch?:rolleyes:

I used to fuss about and try to maximize efficiently the loading of ammo cans with factory boxes etc. but for many years it's just strewn/stored all over the place.. the den, the basement, the attic, closets.. most reloads are just loose in .50 cal ammo cans.. when I go shoot, I scoop up a couple handfuls and put them in a Ziploc or cottage cheese container or something. Most I haven't seen for years and years but I know it's there.
so no, I'm kinda over that

I am just plain OCD period:D

When it comes to organization I think I am just a bit weird..... now if I can just remember where I put things I will be ok:D

Labeled and stacked by caliber, & bullet style. Part of MY problem is over the last couple of years I have been GIVEN so many components I am loading something different every session it seems. As soon as I get through the many different bullets I have on hand it will get easier as I get back to the 'standard' styles I use and like.

Not quite OCD about my ammo, but with my new safe coming, I'll have more room to better organize - who knows, I may become a little OCD about ammo storage at that time ;)

I used to fuss about and try to maximize efficiently the loading of ammo cans with factory boxes etc. but for many years it's just strewn/stored all over the place.. the den, the basement, the attic, closets.. most reloads are just loose in .50 cal ammo cans.. when I go shoot, I scoop up a couple handfuls and put them in a Ziploc or cottage cheese container or something. Most I haven't seen for years and years but I know it's there.
so no, I'm kinda over that
What Certaindeaf said. I throw away the boxes, store it loose in labeled ammo cans, and forget about it:

I store ammo in ammo cans by caliber. My OCD ritual is that I have a tote I carry my ammo in when I go shooting. When I get back the brass gets sorted and the shot ammo replaced so the tote is ready for the next session.

I ended up with so much reloaded ammo it was sagging the shelves in my safe. I smiled a bit when I tried to pick up a .50 cal can filled with 45 ACP and grunted with the effort!!! I am pretty ocd about reloading data, I must admit...index cards with each receipe, but only my .22-250 rounds stored by specific grain, powder, oal, since that is my tiny holes at long distance toy.

My plinking ammo is just in cans by caliber.

I have a safe that has turned out to be 90% ammo cans or so.

I keep either trading one kind of ammo for another or finding a great deal I can't pass up (even on calibers I don't have but plan on having some day).

Then I feel like I have to organize it as best I can in the space I have right away.

It's not like I have so much that I can't keep track of it but there is something very satisfying about reorganizing things to get ready for my next trip out shooting.

Anyone else get that itch?:rolleyes:

I think we are brothers from different mothers. You described my compulsion to a T!

At first I just had a can for each caliber.

Then I had to start ditching the factory boxes for ziplocks inside the .50 cal cans.

Now I have cans for
.22lr hunting (high V and HP)
.22lr plinking (RN)
.22 shorts longs and wmr share one,
.22 federal 525 bulk,
.22 lr Winchester hollow point,
Deffense ammo (all calibers no .22),
Hunting ammo (all calibers no .22),
.38spl,
.357mag,
.9mm and .45acp (no .45 guns yet),
.308win,
7.62x51,
7.62x39,
20ga hunting,
12ga hunting,
And 20&12ga target loads.

My next endeavor is to redo the shelves in my "ammo" safe as it is now reffered to lol, to fit the .50 cal cans without any gaps between shelves so that I might fit a couple more in there as everything is starting to overflow.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that likes to play with my ammo;)

At first I just had a can for each caliber.

Then I had to start ditching the factory boxes for ziplocks inside the .50 cal cans.

Now I have cans for
.22lr hunting (high V and HP)
.22lr plinking (RN)
.22 shorts longs and wmr share one,
.22 federal 525 bulk,
.22 lr Winchester hollow point,
Deffense ammo (all calibers no .22),
Hunting ammo (all calibers no .22),
.38spl,
.357mag,
.9mm and .45acp (no .45 guns yet),
.308win,
7.62x51,
7.62x39,
20ga hunting,
12ga hunting,
And 20&12ga target loads.

My next endeavor is to redo the shelves in my "ammo" safe as it is now reffered to lol, to fit the .50 cal cans without any gaps between shelves so that I might fit a couple more in there as everything is starting to overflow.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that likes to play with my ammo;)
Just wait till you start reloading!!

I went to the point of buying clear plastic ammo boxes for all of mine and then stashing those inside ammo cans by caliber. Each ammo box has the front tab from the original box inside so I can tell brand and bullet weight. Even bulk ammo I've bought has been sorted, counted, and put into 100rnd boxes.

I need to get more ammo cans though, as I have a few calibers that aren't in cans yet. And I'm thinking about getting some different colors of boxes too, maybe too further differentiate weights.

Yeah...I'm a little OCD.

Ammo cans by caliber are great, but it's also a good idea to diversify. Have one or two cans full of boxed ammo of different calibers, such as .45, 9mm and .22. Storing factory boxed ammo means the can has fewer rounds, but if you're in a hurry and can only grab one or two diversified cans then you've got something for different firearms.

I thought my ammo was organized but the other day when another NWFA member stopped by to pick up some .22LR it tool 10-15 minutes worth of digging around and unloading boxes to find what I was looking for.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top