JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Indeed, this is not surprising. :D

I'd say of the various fountain pens floating around is about 50/50 cartridge to refillable from an ink bottle, though I only use the latter in daily writing now. I finally got tired of digging around for the correct cartridge type out of desk, briefcase, etc., and just refill from an bottle. None of them have the lever of yesteryear though.

View attachment 733971
Hey Gent, Imna get a new pen (convertible/fine nib) and have been stressing over ink permanency. Want to go with Waterman's Serenity Blue over something like a Noodlers for fear the latter will gum the gubbins as I'll only likely use it sporadically.
Thanks

Hey Gent, Imna get a new pen (convertible/fine nib) and have been stressing over ink permanency. Want to go with Waterman's Serenity Blue over something like a Noodlers for fear the latter will gum the gubbins as I'll only likely use it sporadically.
Thanks

The bottle at home is Watermans. At work, Pelkin (blue and black). Both work fine enough. I do clean out the pens every few months to keep them working. :)

I appreciate a well made pen but too many memories of ink all over the place for me to like those unfortunately. :p

Lately I'm into the frixion pens. They write like normal but erase via friction from a plastic eraser. They erase cleanly. If u want the writing to come back u can put the paper in the freezer for 20 minutes. The multi pens come in all colors and they make regular pens and highlighters also.
A31D7529-8478-40B8-9C3B-53794B75AAAD.jpeg

At the risk of going on a tangent (but what the hell, I started the thread), what were the common writing implements of in the heyday of the mountain man? How about in "civilization" in north and a central America back then?
You should watch the show on pbs called how writing changed the world or something like that. Pretty cool it talked about when papyrus was used Rome had hundreds of thousands of books (scrolls). And access to books wasn't that hard. But when switched to parchment (animal hide) only the rich could afford to have books and knowledge/education dimished and we had the dark ages and illuminated manuscripts as the only books available.

Then process for paper came about and books and learning flourished again worldwide. He goes into the type of "pens" used for each and how fast you can write on each which helped determine how many books could be produced per week. Really interesting show (maybe a series of shows, can't remember).

You should watch the show on pbs called how writing changed the world or something like that. Pretty cool it talked about when papyrus was used Rome had hundreds of thousands of books (scrolls). And access to books wasn't that hard. But when switched to parchment (animal hide) only the rich could afford to have books and knowledge/education dimished and we had the dark ages and illuminated manuscripts as the only books available.

Then process for paper came about and books and learning flourished again worldwide. He goes into the type of "pens" used for each and how fast you can write on each which helped determine how many books could be produced per week. Really interesting show (maybe a series of shows, can't remember).
I saw that. It was a eureka eye opener for me, making history make a lot if sense because of something so taken for granted.

Parker cartridge fountain pens were a one-time Christmas/birthday present for my sister and me back in 1963 or so.

Teacher: "'Teflon," quit playing with your pen and pay attention."

Me: "I'm not playing with my pen!" [Blue ink all over both hands and some on my face.]

Waterman is my daily fountain pen at home, and due to teleworking my current work pen. I have a TWSBI at work which doesn't write as well but I wouldn't be as upset if someone walked off with it.

Not my picture, but I have this exact pen, same color and everything. I have the matching mechanical pencil, also.
0130_v4.jpg

I have a couple of other pens, including a very small one (unknown brand) that belonged to my mother, that I was able to repair with a new bladder from https://www.fountainpenhospital.com/. I'll have to find them and take some pics.

This is my small collection.
penz.jpg

Left to Right:
Parker '51' fountain pen and matching mechanical pencil
Eversharp FP & MP (these were moms)
Wearever FP (need new ink bladder and bar spring)
Parker Parkette FP
Parker MP
[Kimber 1911 included for scale :cool:]

They all need cleaning (yes, even the Kimber!) and I currently have no ink. Guess I have something to do for a couple of days. :D

My handwriting goes downhill after only a couple of lines.
But I have always liked writing with a fountain pen, my writing is so much better and attractive.
Miss writing with one, just not the cramps I develop.

My handwriting goes downhill after only a couple of lines.
But I have always liked writing with a fountain pen, my writing is so much better and attractive.
Miss writing with one, just not the cramps I develop.

Don't feel bad. My handwriting is so sloppy I can give doctors an inferiority complex. :D

I had a college roommate that lived in Paris France for two years. He was proud of the fact that he could sign his name like a true Frenchman ( putting many doctors to shame).
Eric later earned his Doctorate in psychology, I use to accuse him getting his doctorate just to justify his signature.

That was a good show!

Cate

I like watches too. For a long time I wore a mechanical 2-eye chronograph that I bought in about '66. Battery powered quartz watches work real well, but lack the charm and panache of a movement watch. Our son gave me a Citizen Eco-Drive watch for Christmas a few years back and I think it's the greatest thing since sliced turkey. It keeps perfect time with the computer clock, never needs batteries, and I can see it with old eyes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top