JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I adopted this writing instrument a long time ago whilst recovering from injury and surgery in the right arm (among a number of other scar tissue acquired in that era), but kept with them because the are such a delightful way to write. I've received curious comments from at least one colleague, a business associate, and even detached bemusement from my beloved about this choice of pen. But, whatever, what works, works, so I am not deterred. (And, yes, I'm barely old enough to still write in that alien script known to the younger set as "cursive".)

Here are a few from office:

FountainPens.jpg

How about you? Any pics?

Yes, but I can't find my favorite one right now...

Used them exclusively in college, except for my math/engineering classes, where I used mechanical pencils. I just liked how the pens felt and the lines they made.

Last Edited:
I've only ever owned one, a long time ago.. gave it up when it leaked and ruined a nice white dress shirt. I actually do enjoy watching some youtube videos on them.

Oh, yeah! Art stores and engineering supply stores mostly... Not gonna find them in the school supply section of Target or Walmart... :s0002:

How about you? Any pics?

Yeah. Probably, ohh, back in junior high school? Late '60s. Mom and Dad being soemwhat hoarders from te depression had some of those pens. Even the ones with the little lever to suck ink out of a well, and squirt like The Three Stooges. Got no pictures of my hands, or any of the messes I made. Never been much of a writer either. So there's that.

I use one all the time for signing checks and taking notes here at home. Have always loved the way they write if you know how to properly use one.:s0155: The green one is my all time favorite.

thumbnail_IMG_0260.jpg

Last Edited:
Of course I do.....
But would you expect anything less from a guy who still hunts and shoots with a flintlock...? :D
Andy

Indeed, this is not surprising. :D

Even the ones with the little lever to suck ink out of a well, and squirt like The Three Stooges.

I'd say of the various fountain pens floating around is about 50/50 cartridge to refillable from an ink bottle, though I only use the latter in daily writing now. I finally got tired of digging around for the correct cartridge type out of desk, briefcase, etc., and just refill from an bottle. None of them have the lever of yesteryear though.

Inky.jpg

Not recently....
I did use one two years ago , when doing a pen and ink sketch at the 1838 Rendezvous at Riverton Wyoming....:D
Andy

At the risk of going on a tangent (but what the hell, I started the thread), what were the common writing implements of in the heyday of the mountain man? How about in "civilization" in north and a central America back then?

Yes, have several, both cartridge and fillable.

Back when faxing documents was the only fast way to send them, I found the ink provided a much better and darker signature than a ball point pen.

Still use one a few times a year.

At the risk of going on a tangent (but what the hell, I started the thread), what were the common writing implements of in the heyday of the mountain man? How about in "civilization" in north and a central America back then?
Ink pens...mechanical pencils... the "lead" pencil ...the aforementioned quill pen ...."crayon" as in the artist style conte crayon
Were very common from the 1820's onward.
Andy

I like to make my own pens, and enjoy the fountain pens that I have crafted. Not only does the pen just float across the paper, but you can mix your own inks to create any color you wish. Plus it is a conversation starter, there are not many of us that use them ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top