JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
And I won 3 free cruises this week so far, if I didn't answer them, I wouldn't know I won :cool:, and also, I found out I can get over top dollar for my time share, and I don't even have one. :)
What a country!!

We frequently get threatening letters regarding our extended warranties for our vehicles.

Particularly odd as we've never hired these entities, but they do provide a good laugh!

The other junk mail that baldly commands: - 'OPEN IMMEDIATELY' are immediately put into the shred pile without ever being looked at.

Last Edited:
I've been getting ones that start:

"Hi, Jennifer?" or "Hi, Theodore?" Very American accent. Sometimes I hang up, sometimes I just set the phone down and the let person say "hello? Hello?" until they give up.

The only people to call my business line this week have played recordings in what I think is Chinese (Mandarin?) - can't understand a damn thing. No one speaks. it usually hangs up in about 5 seconds.

I think some of the posters are totally missing the point. Everyone with a phone gets the scammer and telemarketer phone calls nonstop, myself included. Those type are either someone trying to sell a product or service or someone trying to commit a financial crime through fraud. The motivation is obvious.

What I am receiving, in addition to the aforementioned, is a nonstop calls was totally random noise or music. I've had some that was just the sound of a chainsaw being started up in a loop, street noise, salsa music, elevator music, the sound of an engine running, white noise static, people talking in the distance looped, etc. Other than harassment, what is the point!? They aren't attempting to get any money out of me, it is just random, senseless noise or music.

And I don't mean telemarketers and scammers, I mean, literally, nonstop calls that has random crap being played. Examples I've heard in recent days on my office phone:

• White noise.
  • The sound of machinery.
  • Traffic noises.
  • Elevator music.
  • Salsa music. (Just had one a second ago.)
I understand why marketing types and criminals call, but what point is there calling someone and blasting a Tito Puente song in their ear? :confused:

Anyway, just curious if I'm the only one or if it is a new "thing". (And, no, I don't have any enemies that I could blame for such jackassery.)
No music but lots of the other crap, daily

And I don't mean telemarketers and scammers, I mean, literally, nonstop calls that has random crap being played. Examples I've heard in recent days on my office phone:

• White noise.
  • Traffic noises.
  • Elevator music.
I understand why marketing types and criminals call, but what point is there calling someone and blasting a Tito Puente song in their ear? :confused:

Anyway, just curious if I'm the only one or if it is a new "thing". (And, no, I don't have any enemies that I could blame for such jackassery.)

I have been getting the same calls , sometimes back to back when I don't pick up.

• White noise.
  • Traffic noises.
  • Elevator music.

This could be hold music.

The scammer system places multiple phone calls at once. There are a limited number of reps who can answer. So when marks answer, they're routed. Once the queue is full, any remaining marks are dropped.

If you're hearing hold music, it could be because other marks are already patched through and you're either waiting your turn or about to be dropped. Answer faster next time if you want to eff with a scammer.

White noise.

This. One of my friends with a landline told me last week about these strange calls. He described it as sounding like some kind of scrambled code. Similar to those garbled sounds we used to pick up on short wave radio which were stock price quotations from Europe that were encoded and sent in high speed over the radio.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but there is a lot in the news lately about disinformation campaigns against the US. What we hear about usually involve cyber fiddling of some kind. But the telephone is a form of communication after all, why not disinformation attacks against this system?

Otherwise, I can't think of any reason these signals would be conveyed through private telephone lines.

As far as telemarketers go, I've noticed they are starting to use people's names in the caller ID, making you think it's a real person. Then the other day, this ploy was mentioned on a business program.

We have caller ID on our landline and it's a big help. Most robo calls never get answered and they don't like answering machines. If I pick up an iffy call and don't recognize the ID, I will pick up but won't speak. If it's a predictive dialer, it won't direct the call to an agent; it will click off if it isn't activated by a voice.

The ones that drive Mrs. Merkt nuts are people contracted to call for various police and fire agency charities or causes. She has a latent fear that if you don't listen to them, they will retaliate somehow. She knows this fear is baseless, but it's the first thing that she thinks before she quickly recovers and says no thank you. Probably a genetic thing from her Jewish grandfather who was always in dread of the Cossacks coming to the door in the middle of the night. The callers for the police charities don't usually use predictive dialers but are now using tricky phone numbers that show up in caller ID.

As far as our land line goes, it's been pretty quiet lately. Maybe had FOUR calls in the last week is all. You'd think they'd want to REALLY pump up the calls considering it's the season of scamming everybody.

As mentioned above using names on the caller ID must get them somewhere, AND they also use our first numbers too 503-288-****. I guess thinking, we'll think, it's someone from our neighborhood and pick-up. o_O Right. Someone from our hood would leave a message. Dummy

Email scams up the kazoo.
Phone calls, Apple INC, almost daily. At times, every 20 minutes throughout the day.
In the last 2-3 years, phone scam calls have increased.
The phone rings, if it's important, leave a message.
No "recognized" caller ID, PISS OFF
99.8% hang-up

Usually get them at work on the company phone.
The other night I got a text about a fraudulent card activity with a bank I don't even use.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads