JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
And I don't mean telemarketers and scammers, I mean, literally, nonstop calls that has random crap being played. Examples I've heard in recent days on my office phone:

• White noise.
  • The sound of machinery.
  • Traffic noises.
  • Elevator music.
  • Salsa music. (Just had one a second ago.)
I understand why marketing types and criminals call, but what point is there calling someone and blasting a Tito Puente song in their ear? :confused:

Anyway, just curious if I'm the only one or if it is a new "thing". (And, no, I don't have any enemies that I could blame for such jackassery.)

It's that time of year. The scammers are hanging their stockings with Christmas cheer.

:D

Hey Tito Puente is better than "We've been trying to reach you about your car's warranty." :s0133:

I don't answer any number that's not in my contacts. I just let them go to voicemail.

I answer by saying, "Speak, Robot!" Sometimes it hangs up, usually goes into schpiel, and I then block. Never once had a live human on the other end.
Blocking reduces the number of calls I receive.

And I don't mean telemarketers and scammers, I mean, literally, nonstop calls that has random crap being played. Examples I've heard in recent days on my office phone:

• White noise.
  • Traffic noises.
  • Elevator music.
I understand why marketing types and criminals call, but what point is there calling someone and blasting a Tito Puente song in their ear? :confused:

Anyway, just curious if I'm the only one or if it is a new "thing". (And, no, I don't have any enemies that I could blame for such jackassery.)

You got a "Fan Club"? :s0153:

These calls come from all over the country, or at least they are spoofed as such. They aren't trying to sell me something or get my credit card number; it just obnoxious, random noise. I don't get it unless it is harassment or a bizarre technical issue.

On my personal smart phone, I don't answer unless I know who it is, but on my office line, I normally do as we have clients in almost every state, three of the territories, and a few internationally (e.g., Argentina, Hungary, etc.).

A client with an active life, that includes being in/around, white noise, machinery, traffic, elevator, salsa club and has a touchy butt-dial button?

Hey, it could happen? :s0092:

If you have an iPhone with iOS 13, there is a new feature where you can send unknown callers directly to voicemail. To paraphrase, any phone number not in your Contacts automatically goes to voicemail.

Navigate to Settings -> Phone and enable the feature Silence Unknown Callers.

I had a string a few months back. Calls came almost 2-5 minutes apart for two days. I was blocking every number that called, then a new one would pop up. All robo calls for a scam.

Finally called my cell provider and threatened to leave, weirdly enough the day after I did this, the calls stopped.

If you have Verizon you can get a free version of Call Blocker. The number will show up as Potential Spam. It works for a lot of calls.

I have been getting a few unique ones, a Portland Number, speaking in Chinese, A Scammer claiming to be a detective from Multico in reference to some minor court matter, the Extended car warrenty, a Jeep dealer wanting me to trade in my Dodge for a new Jeep, Several Blanks from Florida and a +331 Country and Area code!

• White noise.
  • Traffic noises.
  • Elevator music.

Just get the free robokiller app. It not only blocks the calls, it plays fake answers (answer bots) to the scammers or even your own custom answer and records the whole thing. So you can block them and waste their time on the phone at the same time. I have had a couple of them hang on for a few minutes and the recordings are hilarious. A couple examples (not mine):

Last Edited:
Yep, been getting them for some time. I have a message on my answering machine that ends with: Leave a message or your number will be blocked.
Since my private home number and gun shop number are two different rings, if someone does not come up on the caller ID I let the answering machine answer. If the caller starts leaving a message I will answer the call. Generally the robo calls will drop out once the answering machine recording starts. I then just look at incoming calls and block the robo calls. My Panasonic coredless holds 30 blocked numbers, so I have to delete the oldest ones.
I am receiving calls from robo call centers that are calling on my area code and local prefix. I have also been honing vocabulary and have actually get the robo caller to hang up on me, when I mistakenly answer.
These calls centers are in places like Pakistan, India, and God knows where else. At first I thought maybe the phone service provider was selling unassigned numbers to allow the scammer to call on local numbers. They Dont!
But after a couple of letters to the corporate CEO about the calls and my emails being blocked, service has improved.
Good luck. You probably cant stop all of them, but try to mess with their heads and tie up their lines. Answering their call, pressing 1, just place your phone near a speaker and give them a taste of El Rushbo, or county music

I invested a lot of time and money, about 10 seconds d/loading it and it was free, in
a spam blocker for my cell phone. It blocks any call that isn't from a person in my
contacts list. I set it that way because I can see no reason to get a call from someone
I don't know. What will we talk about? "Hi......who are you"? "No, you called me, who are you"?
My phone goes <bleep> and they are gone. No ring, just a cute little bleep.
There are so many good spam blockers out there now I don't know why
anyone tolerates being bugged by robocalls etc.
But then again I am a very advanced example of our species.............o_O

• White noise.
  • Traffic noises.
  • Elevator music.

You picked up. You answered and alerted them your line is active. The cycle continues.

Happening more and more. Any unknowns go directly to VM on my phone. It's pleasant this way.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads