JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some people want quick money now (as you found out), not more money then. And or they're lazy and don't check or know what their rig's worth.

I think that is what throws me. I always always look at pricing all over before I buy. I know what the real value is when I trade. I forget so many folks just buy when they see something pretty.
I guess it works out for those of us who do our research and buy the reliable yet relatively cheap gun that now is desired by folks who only have higher end to trade.

Thing to me is that anymore I really only want to deal with people here that I can see feedback on. Seems like the bottom feeders are mostly on Armslist or trying to sell on Craigslist. Plenty here but they have no feedback so they are a no go for me. Sad because I remember having no feedback but then these issues did not concern folks so much. No thought of "he might be a plant" when I started here.

I've been thinning the herd in the last year or so, and have sold over 10 guns, some mine, some I inherited,.

2 were sold here, over 8 were sold from CL.

I'm just very careful, always early for the transaction so I can scope out the place/buyer , always bring my dog and put fake drule on his mouth to make him look like a mad/insane dog..:D:D...and I pre-qualify buyer on the phone before the meeting.

If it doesn't sound right, I don't get involved............which has happened a few times.:(

So far, so good:D

BE CAREFUL & follow your gut instincts...........they are correct 98.623% of the time.:cool:

Get the serial number and call the above phone number to check if you are worried something is stolen.

I can think of another reason someone would want to trade a Kimber 1911 for a Glock (for example). There are a lot of people who have never bought a firearm from a dealer so they have no paper trail anywhere concerning firearms even though they are lawful and legally could have. Now with this new legislation perhaps they realize they want a Glock or something with higher capacity magazines before the new law is in effect. Glocks sell pretty fast and the desirable models the fastest. Kimbers sell ok but not nearly as fast. If you had a Glock they wanted they might decide to just offer you a trade rather than try to sell their Kimber and lose out on your Glock knowing it would sell faster than their Kimber. That's just another thought. There are more good guys than bad out here.

Last Edited:
I suppose I agree with all of the above. SO who knows what the person offering more is up to. Could be a real deal and a good offer. Could be one of the many things mentioned above. I can just feel the rat race starting with the offer of a nice 1911 for a Glock.
I can see them just trying to take the ones they do not use out and trade them for non registered models they want. A Glock is a popular choice as well as a lightweight .357.
Maybe I will just enjoy the mad rush and hold out for my favorite 1911! Which is unknown yet but I will know it when I see the offer.

I think that you are way over analyzing things. A person could drive themselves crazy always asking "What if?", like you are doing here.

Why didn't you ask for more details and some photos of the gun? If you are worried about it being stolen, have him give you the serial number, and have it checked. That does not cost a dime to do.

And as far as meeting someone who may rob you, that could happen anytime. But how often does that really happen? I've yet to hear of anyone on this forum being robbed during a transfer.

I will not deal solely online with someone, and I thus require that they give me their phone number so that I can discuss matters over the phone with them, before I meet them. And when I meet them, it is always in a public place with people nearby, either in my open garage with my neighbors nearby, and a panic button for my home's alarm system on my keychain in my pocket, or outside a busy gun store in their parking lot.

And as far as law enforcement is concerned, what are the odds of them showing up? I've yet to hear of any law enforcement agency doing any stings on private sales, unless it was someone who was moving lots of guns, and buying and reselling them illegally without a FFL.

Now maybe after the new law takes effect stings on private sales would become possible, especially if the state decides it needs to put on an enforcement show to convince people to comply. But honestly, neither State or local police really have the funds to do such operations. I'm doubtful that much effort will be made to enforce this new law.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top