JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would stay at home regardless. You never know how dangerous, and deadly Covid-19 truly is. And to think you may contribute to the death of others along you path of travel is just to risky in my opinion. Like the radio add says: Did you unintentionally kill someone today? Stay home, save lives!! And I know all this to be true, as I have read it right here in this forum. Please don't risk our lives in this time of global pandemic...please!

Road Trip!
We have a trip to the far northeastern corner of OryGun planned for July and we are NOT changing those plans! Even having to camp out in the back of the pickup, we're still going! Everything else will sort it's self out!

Made it back home safe & sound yesterday.

11 states, some just a little bit, some acrossed a goodly bit.

Seems the best (cleanest) truck stops we stopped at were "Loves". Pilots & Flying J' were hit or miss, so given an option we would always stop at a "Loves".

Gassed up usually at/around 1/2 a tank, and snacked or ate (depending on time of day). Did go bellow 1/2 a tank a couple times though.

2917.5 miles, over 5 driving days. Daylight driving the entire trip.

4 hotel stays; Clarksville TN (Fairfield Inn*), St Thomas MO (Fairfield Inn), Laramie WY (Fairfield Inn), Elko NV (Hampton Inn).

No notable issues whatsoever, and fair skies the entire route. Threaded the needle betwixt thunder storms in Wyoming, got just a sprinkling for a few minutes!

No problems getting food along the route, however depending upon the State we were, and the "level" of Covid restrictions in some, take out was the only option.

None of the hotels had buffet/self service breakfast. However all had some type of option, from take away "snack" bags, to full order free breakfast (ordered the night before). All had coffee on demand in the lobby (some self serve, others by request), either just in the am, or 24hrs.

Pools & fitness centers: (in the 3 hotels which had them), were mostly closed. St Thomas MO Fairfield Inn would open them by request for a single family unit or an individual. Laramie WY, pool was closed, but fitness center open for an individual, or family unit.

*Clarksville TN Fairfield Inn should lose its Marriott rating/affiliation. Pretty darn bad! The other 2 Fairfield Inns & the Hampton Inn were nicer than expected.

Edit, adding: Made a little "ooops" on the route planning, and went thru a small section of Illinois. Other than that, legal conceal carry the entire route (SC excluded).

Last Edited:
Notes, more for me to have, but might prove helpful to others.

V6 5 year old SUV, well maintained with good tires, 49,188 miles on it at the start of the trip. Not overloaded, but moderately heavy loaded. Likely still well under capacity tho.

Total fuel costs for the trip: $323.08.

Total fuel consumed: 138 gallons (21.14 MPG avg).

Averaged out PPG $2.342

Regular gas PPG was $1.599 to $1.699, East of Missouri. Didn't track regular onwards West. Premium was significantly pricier the entire way (as it normally is).

Could have been cheaper overall, as started the trip every other fill up swapping between regular & premium. Premium gave better fuel economy (by about .5 to 1 MPG), so stuck with that solely round about Missouri onwards.

Fuel economy could have likely been markedly improved by traveling at the speed limit.

Most of the drive was "probably" at 76-86 MPH on interstates with 70 & 80 MPH limits. If there was any "accidental & consistent" speeding, it was on interstates with excellent sight lines, low traffic volumes & good weather. :rolleyes:

Once we hit the Oregon border on 140, limit dropped considerably until ?Lakeview, plus the drive between Klamath area & I5 @ Ashland is expected/known twisty MTN limit is markedly reduced.

Scenic drive tho.

Could have gone thru Klamath Falls, then up & around back towards White City/Central point faster, but weather was nice.

Taking the 95 to 140 in Nevada was worth it to avoid California.

Depends on what your hauling, and how good your vehicle is. No services on 140 Nevada/Oregon for 80 miles (per sign posting).

Last Edited:
Good to hear it went well! :)

Thanks, it really did!

Outstanding to have that much time with my Mom too, reminiscing, telling stories we hadn't heard & retelling some stories.

The only hiccup the entire trip was the hotel in Clarksville TN.

The staff was decent, the hotel wasn't.

Plus there were obvious drug heads roaming the parking lot. As to be expected anywhere these days, but that was pretty bad.

I have to drive to the West side middle of July to pick up my daughter, son-in-law, and three grand kids at SeaTac. They are moving back to the states from overseas.

I sure hope this rioting thing is over by then. IIRC, going through Seattle to SeaTac is pretty safe. I usually just get to the airport, load up, and get the hell out of there as fast as possible with no stopping until I'm out in the suburbs for dinner or what not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top