JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Has anyone done a long interstate road trip amongst this Covid shut down?

We may be driving back from South Carolina with my octogenarian mum.

Just looking for options for "relief stops" other than standard rest stops. Thinking they will not be the best option, and some may be closed up anyways.

Grocery stores, Costco's, Truck stops come to mind.

Any other ideas?

Any fast food places let you in to use the rest room?

Maybe rent an RV if you have the $$?

That way you could just dump the poop when you get back, eat in the RV along the way, and avoid all the exposure she would certainly have otherwise.

Just a random thought. Sorry if I'm no help.

I'm at a loss as to where to stop because the virus thing has so many of our usual resources "offline" so to speak. But:

other than standard rest stops

Use the state highway rest stops with great caution, especially at night. I had a very close call at one of these, will never go in one again unarmed, never mind the invalidity of my carry permit in any given state. Quick thinking was the only thing that saved me from getting jumped. Had I just been the normal sleep-walking through life, I probably would've been up for a beating. Never stop at one that doesn't have a bunch of cars and or trucks already there.

Maybe rent an RV if you have the $$?

That way you could just dump the poop when you get back, eat in the RV along the way, and avoid all the exposure she would certainly have otherwise.

Just a random thought. Sorry if I'm no help.

Thanks for the thought, but this would be driving my passed fathers SUV back.

Tags are up on it over the summer, so re-tag it out there & bring it back later(super hassle trying to get it re-tagged!), or bring it back while SC tags are still good.

Shipping it won't be an option due to the other things being brought back in it.

I would do a Google search of your route and map out truck stops, such as loves and flying j, to name a couple, along your route. Then call the ones you think you will visit and see what restrictions they are under, varies by state and localities. We were lucky and got back from our road trip before the panic hit.

Hmmmm .This just gave me a great idea for a "Smokey and the Bandit" re-make....
…. Chris Pratt is contracted to transport Elon Musk's mom (Betty White) in a Winnebago in 2 days, from SC to ID to attend a 90th B'day party. They get chased across the Country by Bufford T. Virus (Tom Hanks) and need the help of his good buddy, Bandit (Chris Pratt), to run interference in a vintage Trans Am.
Hilarity ensues.

Last Edited:
Yup, aware on that. However thanks on the heads - up!
I don't get the impression you have really researched. I have counterparts scattered throughout the US and travel is part of our job. Cops are writing tickets and literally turning outsiders away at state borders. We have several conference calls per week to alert each other. The east coast is a total bubblegum show right now and potty breaks are the least of your worries. Travel at your own risk -- You've been warned. Good luck.

Last week I drove from Denver to Portland (OR) via southern Wyoming, Utah and Idaho. Interstates were wide open. We stopped at Flying Jay and similar truck stops. No problems there.
From a firefighter's lens, there were a few grass fires, so you may be stopped temporarily if the fire is close to the highways but nothing serious in that context. Regular seasonal wildland firefighters are not up and running until end of May or June so it will be small rural fire departments responding meaning it may take longer to let traffic through.

Thanks for the thought, but this would be driving my passed fathers SUV back.

Tags are up on it over the summer, so re-tag it out there & bring it back later(super hassle trying to get it re-tagged!), or bring it back while SC tags are still good.

Shipping it won't be an option due to the other things being brought back in it.

I'd still consider this option with perhaps the addition of a U-Haul car trailer. Put the SUV up on it and tow it with the RV. Being self-sufficient is a big deal right now. Also keeps you out of the many transitional spaces you're going to be in between potty stops, food stops, gas stops, hotels and what have you. Plus gives you the flexibility to let mom sleep while you continue to drive. I know driving with my 85 y/o father in law requires short days and lots of potty breaks..... Sorry about the loss of your father and good on you for taking care of of your mom. Good luck with the trip.

Has anyone done a long interstate road trip amongst this Covid shut down?

We may be driving back from South Carolina with my octogenarian mum.

Just looking for options for "relief stops" other than standard rest stops. Thinking they will not be the best option, and some may be closed up anyways.

Grocery stores, Costco's, Truck stops come to mind.

Any other ideas?

Any fast food places let you in to use the rest room?

Funny you ask this. The wife and I did a trip this week and we stopped at car dealerships with service centers. Great bathrooms!

"Never stop at one that doesn't have a bunch of cars and or trucks already there."

I used to do the opposite since I hate the sound of diesel engines running all night (I still wonder why truck drivers do that). But then I was driving between Wyoming and Oregon, places where people tend to be armed. I'm guessing someone coming up at night to bother a sleeping driver is just asking to be shot. Anyway I never had any issues with it.

Didn't YOU see this along OR's freeways?o_O

stay-home.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Didn't YOU see this along OR's freeways?o_O

View attachment 685364

Aloha, Mark

No, I haven't actually.

And yes, we are extremely mindful of stay at home & such here. After work. Pretty much home, work, home, work, home. Just like everyone else still working. Did one shop last week, then one before that was early March.

Was able to fly back the day after he passed last month, as bereavement leave.

Mind, all, this is only a tentative plan. May not come to fruition for any multitude of reasons.

Our leave time rescinded due to patient or staff load. Flight cancelations. Shux my mom isn't even sure yet if she wants to come out for a visit just yet. Some days yeah absolutely & ASAP, some days not so much.

However should it come together, I honestly appreciate everyone's input on the question posited!

Just a thought, perhaps you could get a sympathetic doctor to write up an order for you to be designated as "caretaker" for your Mother, as she needs "full-time" care. That might make a difference to a overzelalous lawman. ;)

Just a thought, perhaps you could get a sympathetic doctor to write up an order for you to be designated as "caretaker" for your Mother, as she needs "full-time" care. That might make a difference to a overzelalous lawman. ;)

Good idea, however our work ID's "should" suffice, along with a reasonable discussion.

If it were to be amidst a situation where "conscripted service" were to be an issue, as in if no mitigation steps occurring (overflowing hospitals), that'd be a whole other bowl of beans. Lacking (whichever) state licensure/certification could be an issue regardless, unless it were a declared martial law type situation.

There is the concern over a severe second wave of ill, after mitigation is relaxed. Concern varies, depending upon a lot of factors, so that's an unknown.

However, in those situations, we wouldn't think on the trip anyways.

Possible such could occur amidst the trip tho...what a big pile of poo we're ALL in.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top