JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw the other post on solar and thought I'd start a similar thread.

I have a small (but steady) seasonal creek on the property. I was wondering if it might be feasible to construct a small generator that would provide say 500-1000 watts. I haven't done much research yet, but any insights or website links are appreciated.

Peter

Dunerunner, thanks that is an interesting link with good detail!

Yes, I don't have the water flow that the fellow does in that link. I might be limited to something lower such as 100-250 watts.

Peter

The trick will be to keeping the alternators at a constant and correct speed to maintain an average output amperage. This is going to require something more advanced than a paddle wheel and more along the idea of a turbine, possibly with some kind of speed control. You will need a bank of 12 volt deep cycle batteries to store the power and this will require regulation to prevent overcharging of the batteries in the event you actually develop enough alternator output. An inverter will be needed as the final component to convert the battery power into useable 110 VAC. I wish I had a year round creek as it would be a fun project. Turning the water power into useable, rotational action will be the biggest hurdle. Conquer that and you will be halfway there. Just remember what Einstein said. " Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to the other".

Before you start major construction, you need to consider the elevation drop of the water you are trying to tap energy from. The basic theory behind hydro power is converting the potential energy of water due to elevation change to electricity through a mechanical device. If there isn't much energy to capture, then it probably isn't feasible to try to capture it :).

Great thread and I will watch with interest! I've thought about this for many years since we have a river around our property and a year round spring with a long drop. I've looked into the pelton wheel and auto alternators.

What's stopped me is the expense involved in doing it right. While you could run 12v lights and minimal appliances in a remote cabin, providing sufficient power to a house is another story. The expense of deep cycle batteries, inverters, cabling, etc. is cost prohibitive. If I had a bunch of disposable income I would pursue it just to be off the grid and self-sufficient.

I would check the local water rights to your property.
Diverting any flow of water is usually restricted in most counties, regardless of what state you reside in.
Would be a major headache is you built something and the county shut it down and made you remove it..

Drive automotive alternators. They are relatively cheap. Charge a bank of batteries and use a sine wave inverter to produce your A/C power. The batteries can also be charged with a gas generator, your car, an automotive alternator driven by a wind mill, or a solar panel.

I would check the local water rights to your property.
Diverting any flow of water is usually restricted in most counties, regardless of what state you reside in.
Would be a major headache is you built something and the county shut it down and made you remove it..
LOL.... Tell that to the beavers...
So, I am also very interested in this as I am planning on moving onto a property soon that has a year round creek. I plan on solar, hydro, and wind. Going off the grid is a dream of mine, but even if I can supplement, and use in times of power outages, will be very happy.
SteelyDan is right, that the cost of the required battery bank is...wow... a lot of money.

It's very doable. The easy math is (gpm X Ft/head=watts). So if you have 10 gallons a minute, and 100 feet of drop(head), you would be able to produce 1000 watts... Or 1kw.
There are quite a few options for small Hydro units. But most produce 12v. So you will need to invert it to 120 v for use in a house. Expect to lose about 15% when you do this.

I have an aquifer on our homesite, 400 feet away the hillside has a gusher that has a 250 + foot drop to the HWY below.. perfect for small hydro.. so yes, it's a given. I am looking for the quietest generator I can find so it won't be noticed and stolen

I have an aquifer on our homesite, 400 feet away the hillside has a gusher that has a 250 + foot drop to the HWY below.. perfect for small hydro.. so yes, it's a given. I am looking for the quietest generator I can find so it won't be noticed and stolen

I'm jelous. If heard a few of the smalle ones. They have a hum to them, but not loud at all. House them in a shed of some sort with some insulation and you would be stealthy.

As for generators.... None of them are silent, but the little Hondas and yamahas are very quiet.

I'm jelous. If heard a few of the smalle ones. They have a hum to them, but not loud at all. House them in a shed of some sort with some insulation and you would be stealthy.

As for generators.... None of them are silent, but the little Hondas and yamahas are very quiet.

It will be down by the HWY so it has to be very quiet.. It will be in a small, camo-ed cinder block house and will be alarmed to the home security system but I would rather it never gets noticed

LOL.... Tell that to the beavers...
So, I am also very interested in this as I am planning on moving onto a property soon that has a year round creek. I plan on solar, hydro, and wind. Going off the grid is a dream of mine, but even if I can supplement, and use in times of power outages, will be very happy.
SteelyDan is right, that the cost of the required battery bank is...wow... a lot of money.

If you have constant water flow, you would not necessarily need a battery bank, nor would you need to install DC lighting and appliances. You would only need an inverter rated for the VA of your power generation. If you were to stay on grid, there would be additional things as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top