JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for someone to hot blue a few small pieces for me in the near future. Small barrel, receivers, etc. All of the smiths ive talked to lately save parts up until they have enough to blue, and none seem to be doing a tank anytime soon.

If the parts are no bigger than a 1911 pistol you can rust blue them yourself at home and get better results. It's fun and satisfying too. All you need is:
  1. Thoroughly degrease the parts with brake cleaner and Birchwood Casey cleaner-degreaser
  2. Pre-heat the parts in the oven or with a blow dryer or heat gun
  3. Apply the Mark Lee rust bluing solution with cotton gun cleaning patches. Allow the parts to rust for 15-30 minutes. Repeat until parts have a uniform thin layer of rust
  4. Put the parts in a pot of boiling distilled water. Boil for 30-40 minutes until they have turned black
  5. Remove the blackened parts and brush with the carding brushes
  6. Repeat the above cycle 2 or 3 times until the parts will no longer rust when the rust bluing solution is applied. Rinse the parts and then apply boiled linseed oil
Here is a thread where several guys rust blued their surplus 1911s so you can see the results Oh gee.... (Rust bluing refinishing thread) - 1911Forum

FYI, rust bluing isn't the same as hot bluing, but it's still good :)

I know. Rust bluing is not just good, it is better (more durable and richer looking) than hot bluing. But it is more labor intensive and slower = more expensive if you are the one paying for the labor. For a firearms manufacturer hot dip bluing is faster and cheaper so that's why they use it, not because it is better. High end low production firearms were and are rust blued.

Essentially, rust bluing uses an acid solution to rust the steel in a controlled environment. Boiling the rust converts the red oxide to black oxide which constitutes the metal finish. The excess rust is removed and the process is repeated until the desired finish is required. This is a traditional process that is still used on high-dollar custom rifles and shotguns.
Rust Bluing: Can You Do it At Home?

I vote for hot bluing! I'm doing a batch every few weeks now.

Just started a new batch...Come on 292°
EE9F748B-DCD9-4821-8F65-7735C29A066C.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews