JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I doubt that you will find a reputable 'smith who will remove a "safety" feature. This is a D-I-Y job. Check on the S&W forum for the "Plug" that a member there makes.

Man, I sure wouldn't want having a justifiable shoot ruined by the civil suit afterward and having removed a safety feature. Ayoob had a story on this and he wouldn't want to either.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION law abiding gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

Man, I sure wouldn't want having a justifiable shoot ruined by the civil suit afterward and having removed a safety feature. Ayoob had a story on this and he wouldn't want to either.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION law abiding gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

Let me start by saying I do not advocate the removal of any firearms safety. That being said, I have no issue with the lock being taken out of a S&W revolver. I say this for a few reasons. First, its not a functional, active safety. It has nothing to do with making the gun safe to carry. Its about making the gun inoperable to unauthorized users. If its in my holster, on my person, then it has no need for a lock. It would be the equivalent of carrying around one of those padlocks that come in handgun boxes for all your guns that don't have an internal lock. Second, there are reliable sources stating that those locks have seized or become activated under recoil, and would be a hazard for a gun carried for self-defense. Lastly, all my guns are either on my person or locked in a safe. I don't need or use internal locks on guns, as if someone other than me breaks into my safe, then they are already an unauthorized user and whatever they do after commission of the felony is their doing not mine.

I store and carry my firearms in a responsible manner. God forbid I am ever in a shooting. I hope my guns never get shot at anything that isn't paper or food (mmm, elk...). But the removal of a non-shooting related safety has nothing to do with the act of shooting. If they claim it as a pattern of behavior, they can see a picture of my very large, very heavy safe. Even an anti has to agree that a safe is better to stop unauthorized use than an internal lock.

All that being said, all my S&W's just happen to be pre-lock... :)

Out of curiosity, would that sentiment include the mag disconnect on say a Browning Hi-Power or just more like a firing pin safety block ala Colt 80 series?

From the stand point of my profession, I won't remove any, including the lock on a S&W and those mentioned above. From a personal standpoint, the only I would remove on a carry gun would be the plug, but that's just personal opinion...

+1 to MountainBear.. Very nice response and I sure hope the courts will see it the way you have said, as it sounds logical and makes the most sense to any rational-minded person. However, the courts and anti-gun crowd isn't always known to possess either of these traits, being rational or contemplating logic.

Anyhow, I really want to remove the lock from my S&W m460v as I am shooting the heavy duty Buffalo Bore rounds and I fear that this may occur (even with lighter rounds hot 45LCs) in this gun in a self-defense situation. I'm thinking that if all other aspects of a defense shooting are legitimate for a prosecutor to nail you for removing a gun lock would probably be dismissed. However, I don't like adding any fuel to their arguments in any situation. I'd like to hear some more opinions about the stupid S&W internal lock removal from some "experts" in the firearm legal arena. This would be a good thing for me to discuss with an attorney who has knowledge in cases of self-defense shoots; specifically with situations where safety features, like internal locks were modified or removed.

I'm hoping the heavy duty X-frame and ported barrel of this gun will make it more resistant to harsh recoil. I can see a lighter frame gun with a heavy load will certainly have its risks. My S&W 629 is pre-lock.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top