JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The holster I have for my CZ 97 BD is an OWB, but with the ability to be used as an IWB just by swapping belt loops for clips. Just for grins, I decided to set it up for IWB carry, as I really like the 97, and it carries quite well OWB. Tried several ride heights and locations, was about to give up when I decided to try it cross draw. Surprisingly, it worked rather well for comfort and access, although not great for concealability, it printed quite a bit even with a loose shirt over it. Might be okay with a heavier jacket, though. I don't really expect to carry this particular pistol very often, especially concealed, but it's nice to know I have another option that doesn't cost me anything. So what are the arguments against carrying cross-draw? From what I can tell, it's really not that much different than appendix carry, something I've done in the past, and may do again, if I can find the right holster for my other CZ. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated, later.

Dave

The main con for crossdraw is weapon retention. Is a lot easier for someone who might be confronting you to grab it, since the grip is facing them and if they are able to grab it the muzzle is already pretty much pointed right at you. That being said, it is probably the easiest (as well as a shoulder rig) to access while driving.

If protection against bad guys is relevant, crossdraw sucks. A bad guy can act nice and come within reach, where he can more easily grab or control firearm than you can.

I only carried cross draw once in my life. A few miles from Alsea, Oregon in coastal mts. A guy was going around a neighbors house messing with all the windows. Looked like he was trying to break in. But he was partially concealed by bushes near house. Couldnt really tell. Mine was the only house nearby, right across st/HWY. I knew neighbor lived alone with child, that she would be at work, kid would be in school, house would be empty. I figured there was probably an innocent explanation, but I should check it out. Unincorporated area in Benton county. No other neighbors. Closest police station an hour away.

I put on a revolver loaded with snapcaps carried openly, in cross draw position. AND a fully loaded .357 concealed in 4:00 position. then, accompanied by my very wise and protective but low-key Chow-cross b1tch, I headed across the street, with dog running free. I figured if guy was a bad guy willing to back off and leave when he saw openly carried gun, fine. and if instead he tried to attack, he would focus on empty gun on my left. Not on my right side or concealed loaded gun or on dog who didn't growl or act like a guardian but was cynical about strangers, watched them every second while pretending otherwise, and would attack instantly if needed.

The stranger was oblivious until I was about 20 feet away. More evidence he was likely okay, I thought. Then he turned and saw me. "Hey, I'm the Nosy Protective Neighbor," I said, grinning broadly, sorta making fun of myself and the situation. "I know Patty's at work now and the house is empty. Any chance I can get you to tell me what you're doing?"

The guy laughed and explained that he was measuring all the windows. Patty wanted wanted window screens on all the windows. And he had her permission to come measure while she was at work. Since guy hadn't entered house, was "armed" with a tape measurer, pen, and notebook, and his truck said he did repairs and renovations, that was good enough for me.

I do OWB cross draw mainly when hunting. As a righty, my rifle hangs on my right shoulder or across both arms. So cross draw works best for me for close encounters with jaws of death.

I too preferred to carry a gun on my left side while driving. Usually a .357 revolver. However, I carried it in concealed in ordinary 8:00 position oriented as if I were left handed. Which I'm not. I never passed up a hitch hiker in those days. If I picked up a hitch hiker, I wanted the gun on the side away from the hitch hiker in the passengers seat. And I practiced enough with my left hand to feel comfortable carrying like a lefty if there was reason.

Don't tell me its unsafe or dumb to pick up hitch hikers. In my first years of heavy camping as an adult, including winter camping, 1970s, I was in MN. If you passed by a hitch hiker on a rural road in MN most of the year back then, there was a good chance nobody else would come by, and that person who asked your help whom you denied would be frozen to death by morning. Even in Twin Cities, everyone from all walks of life always picked up hitch hikers or stopped to help get a car out of the ditch and back on the road. Most city Minnesotans were just one generation from being rural Minnesotans back then, and carried on rural Minnesotan traditions. Picking up hitch hikers does involve risk. But in MN it was also considered a civic duty. At least back then. (And keep in mind that I was armed and was accompanied by two dogs, one a Siberian Husky who looked fierce to many but was neither fierce nor at all protective. The other my Chow-cross b1tch, who was a superb protection dog. Any hitch hiker had to be formally introduced to the b1tch and given formal permission by me to enter vehicle before she allowed.)

I carry in a shoulder rig, so cross draw is the norm, and I also carry a large frame revolver cross draw, mostly because im so used to cross draw, and i usually have ether a pack or rifle over my shoulder on the strong side, and if you have ever tried to draw quick from a strong side and banged your elbow on a rifle stock, you kinda look for other carry options! LOL
For the Big Revolver, I wear it with the cylinder right where my belt buckle would normally be, grip real close to my strong hand for a lightning quick draw if needed! The major benefit besides accessibility is that I can wear it while driving/sitting/flying, and it's comfortable!
I do carry a compact concealed strong side IWB, but it's getting more rare then it was for me, preferring the shoulder holster more and more as I get older and less mobile!

Very comfortable IWB cross draw. Comfortable drawing with right or left hand (with a twist). Conceals well for me and don't have to worry about printing when bending over.

I have a semi-clamshell that rides high, (facing forward), on my left side for my wheel gun. I find it very convenient for travel as it allows access with either hand while driving.
I did similar when I was working in Memphis for a spell I carried 2. CZ 75 on the left and 357 SP101 on the right. Not cross draw though. I shoot just fine either hand. Prefer pistol with the left though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top