JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OFADAN- If you know your paper patched cartridges, maybe you can help me with these (I haven't ID'd them yet)-
2-1 No headstamp, necked, 43.3mm overall case length, neck begins at 25mm, bullet is 10mm in width
3-24 No headstamp, necked, 57.8mm overall case length, neck begins at 39mm, bullet is 10mm in width

Okay I'll take a stab at this...obviously the picture is hard to clearly see even when expanded. However your measurements help a great deal.

Let's start with 2-1. This is most likely a 40-50 Bottleneck. 40 caliber bullet (aka 10 mm) and the Case length is 43.3. Unfortunately our forefathers didn't use metrics...so a simple conversion makes this 1.704". The closest I know of to that is the 40-50 which can be formed from .45 2 1/10" (okay 45-70 for your laymen/non-traditionalists). The 40-50 BN is suppose to have a 1.69" case length so we're really close on this guess. This cartridge (the 40-50 BN) was introduced by Sharps in their catalog in 1869 as a mid-range target cartridge for their Schuetzen rifles. The bullet dia in the original offerings were .403 to .409. Today they're mostly .408 to .409. 350 g to 390 grain bullet traveling at 1300 fps roughly.

3-24: Okay, another wild guess here...based upon your measurements and what I can see in the photo...most likely a 40-70 Sharps Bottleneck. Again, 10mm = 40 caliber with the vintage rifles using a range from .403 to .409. You might mike the diameter of the bullet to get an idea of what these are cast at.

The 40-70 is a 2.25" case length and when you crunch 57.8mm to inches it comes out at a respectable 2.275 which is fairly close considering. This cartridge was introduced in the then new Model 1869 Sharps. It was a very popular cartridge in the early 1870s. The 44-77 was THE most popular until the offering of the .45 2 1/10" (45-70) as it was made available in the Remington Rolling Block and the Sharps. Anyway, the 40-70 usually delivered a 380 grain lead PP bullet at 1280+ fps. Good for medium to big game back in the day. As the Buffalo herds began to diminish and get skittish the Buffalo Runners (they never referred to themselves as hunters generally) needed larger calibers and more black powder capacity. It became such a big business they needed one to two shots per animal and not be limited by distance.

Thanks for the interest. I get tired of talking to myself about this as no-one else really cares about this high drag, low speed stuff anymore! It is more fun to shoot these old cartridges than talk about them. Guess it is time for me to start doing some reloading and go shoot the steel buffalo gong!

ooo....yup i see em on the second shelf. .357 magnum black talon, and looks like a .32 mag "ranger" with the gray luballoy.

I'm thinking a rifle in either the second or third from the right on the bottom shelf would be fun for a future purchase. teh bmg would be more affordable/common but the elephant gun is nostalgic and I'm guessing could still stop a vehicle lol. Maybe some day, when I grow up.

How do I get one of these 40mm chalk rounds? I definitely need that for my collection.

I need quite a few on mine still. 6.8spc and all the special ones.

Theres a guy that sets up a booth twice a year at the Puyallup WAC show, usually towards the end of the year (he's from Spokane I think), and has all sorts of hard-to-find rounds, like the 40mm chalk rounds. Sells them for $5-10ea, depending on condition and who made them.

6.8SPC is one of those rounds I'm still looking for myself as well.

Ill call the mostly obvious:
Bottom right, 20mm m61 vulcan blue tip, then a 50bmg armor piercing incendiary round.
Middle row, 4th from the right 17 hmr, 6th from right is 7.62x25, 14th from the right is the 5.7x28, 20th from right is the 300 blackout, 21st from right 7.62x39, 23rd from right i think is 5.45x39.

Yes sir, you are correct on all counts! 3-38 20mm M55A2, 3-37 .50 BMG API, 2-24 .17 HMR, 2-22 7.62x25mm, 2-14 5.7x28mm, 2-8 .300 AAC Blackout, 2-7 7.62x39mm, 2-5 5.45x39mm

Okay I'll take a stab at this...obviously the picture is hard to clearly see even when expanded. However your measurements help a great deal.

OFADAN, thanks for the info and ID's!! I'm going to ID as such and verify (2-1, 3-24) :)
I have a few more older cartridges that I can't ID, appear to be pistol type. Wanna try for those? :D

EDIT- ID'd them, but 3 of them I can't figure out if they are standard, short, or long!

ooo....yup i see em on the second shelf. .357 magnum black talon, and looks like a .32 mag "ranger" with the gray luballoy.

I'm thinking a rifle in either the second or third from the right on the bottom shelf would be fun for a future purchase. teh bmg would be more affordable/common but the elephant gun is nostalgic and I'm guessing could still stop a vehicle lol. Maybe some day, when I grow up.

One right! Yep, 2-15 is a .357 Magnum "Black Talon", but where do you see the .32? A clue though, I don't have a .32 Mag in there.. ;)

I've always wanted an Elephant gun, if anything just to have. :D

No need for photoshop to number the cartridges. I used MS Paint and entered the numbers as text.

PHOTO DELETED

You should arrange them by caliber. This shows the diversity of case volume.

Are these cartridges you have reloaded/shot, or just stuff you got you hands on. I can send you some whispers/458 socom/375 whelen if you like.

Ranb

No need for photoshop to number the cartridges. I used MS Paint and entered the numbers as text.

You should arrange them by caliber. This shows the diversity of case volume.

Are these cartridges you have reloaded/shot, or just stuff you got you hands on. I can send you some whispers/458 socom/375 whelen if you like.

Ranb

Thanks Ranb, but I got to the numbering early this morning. I'd use yours, but then I'd have to re-number my ID list :) I also couldn't figure out how to post big pix till I looked at your post tho (ahhh yes photobucket), so thanks for that!
As for organizing by caliber, I'll do that in a few days and snap a pic so you all can see.
And as for where I got these, I just picked em up one at a time, at garage sales, estate sales, WAC shows, and from friends & family. So far I've only been doing it for a year and it grew quick! None are re-loads, all are original factory loads. I'd love all of the ones you mentioned, maybe I can just grab them when you come over to this side and meet with Kline (I have no friends in his district :()?

I will need a friendly face to attend the meeting with me if I am not able to visit Kline with one of his constituants. I will bring anything you need for your collection. I will take my picture down when you get your new one up so that it does not cause any confusion.

I have been thinking of making a board just for the ones I shoot; about 30 of so.

Hopefully just one more day of special session 2012; then I can start calling the Senators (the ones that voted for the SBS ban) for meetings on HB 2099.

Ranb

Is 2-20 a S&W Nyclad or something along those lines? Kip.

It's a .38 Special, but I don't remember the headstamp (I'll check when I get home). More than likely Winchester. I remember it didn't have any other markings allowing me to ID beyond caliber.

2-20.jpg EDIT- I had a doc with the headstamps on my work computer (how strange), anyways, its a Speer. Headstamp is- SPEER 38 SPECIAL

EDIT #2-
My apologies, that doc of headstamps at work was outdated. It is a Federal Nyclad! Nice work!

NYCLAD004-1.jpg

This is fun! Livened up my lunch hour a bit, anyway...

My guesses:

1-13 = .30 Mauser
1-17 = .38 S&W
2-11 = .218 Bee
2-12 = .30 Carbine
3-16 = 8mm Lebel Balle D

So close!! 1-13 is a .30 Luger (also known as 7.65×21mm Parabellum and 7.65mm Luger)! The .30 Mauser is x25mm.

For all the rest, you are dead on correct!
1-17 is a .38 Smith & Wesson, 2-11 is a .218 Bee, 2-12 is a .30 Carbine, and 3-16 (good call!) is an 8mm Lebel (not sure if M, D or N tho)

8mm Lebel headstamp is- CP P 4 39

Aw, close on the .30 Luger.

Here are a few more guesses and a couple of wild stabs in the dark. Don't tell me what they are if I get them wrong :)

3-18 = 30-40 Krag
3-19 = 7.5x55 Swiss
3-20 = 6.5 Jap
3-23 = .303 British
3-26 = 6.5 Carcano

Aw, close on the .30 Luger.

Here are a few more guesses and a couple of wild stabs in the dark. Don't tell me what they are if I get them wrong :)

3-18 = 30-40 Krag
3-19 = 7.5x55 Swiss
3-20 = 6.5 Jap
3-23 = .303 British
3-26 = 6.5 Carcano

3-18
is a 30-40 Krag, 3-20 is one of the few that are unidentified (originally 11 w/o ID, 8 left now), so it could and looks to be a 6.5 Jap and I'll ID as such and verify later, and 3-23 is a .303 British!
3-19 & 3-26 are very close (hint hint), but no dice. :) Nice work!

3-20.jpg FYI no headstamp on the 6.5 Jap.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top