JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone ever been to Thunder Ranch, or heard anything about them? They have a training facility in Lakeview, Or., and in Texas. They are pretty spendy, but Ive though about saving my pennies and going.

Heres their website....

<broken link removed>

Thanks!!!

Yes, many-many times and am slated to go again with three other OFA staff later this year. I've been to TR both in Texas and Oregon. A great experience no doubt. In fact Rick (my biz partner) and I are on staff with Clint's mobile training business called ITC. Clint has invited Rick to help him with a couple of his classes here in Oregon.

If you can afford to go - go! Yes, it will set you back around $2000 for a three day class with tuition, green ammo, travel, lodging, and meals. Is it worth it? I dunno...you'll have to decide...invest $2000 to go to TR one time for three days verse go to other schools for multiple days & classes. I can tell you, regardless of where you train - if you go to one class it will not be enough. Why? First, it is such an eye opening experience because we (the student) suddenly realize "we don't know - what we don't know" and now "we know -what we don't know!" Also you'll want to train more because it is addictive as one realizes it takes time and multiple training opportunties to really master one's skills, knowledge and behavior.

Generally if you haven't trained with them at all and/or have not had training beyond your CHL class they will refer you to train elsewhere first...that has been our experience anyway. Hum...I wonder how I know this? Clint had OFA on his links page for students to seek additional training until recently...they're updating their website now.

Seriously they send us a lot of students and we've sent them that many back and more. Clint, Heidi and Scott are tops in our books!!! Safe and highly competent...not to mention a very nice range.

Rick and I recommend them without reservation!

Yes! We send a lot of students to TR once they've been up through at least our DH2 for handgun. Or...taken our shotgun, carbine or general purpose rifle for long guns. Just had one student who is multiple OFA grad go to their Mid Range Rifle after training many times with us and even taking a half day Mid Range Rifle Prep Tuitoral.

He said, in his words, he was in the top two students in the class...and breezed thru while many others struggled....he said the entire class was held back because several others students were not squared away. As a result the entire class was unable to do some of the drills and skills they'd hoped and they never got to shoot at the longer distances because it would have been a waste of everyone's time/money/ammo. Bottom line, he spent a lot of money and waited a long time to get into that class...he said it wasn't ruined but a few students who had not invested in training prior to TR cost everyone! If you're going to go to TR then you are money ahead to be prepared.

We're consider ourselves the community college or "prep" school for TR which is to us a "Ivy League" University!

I was very impressed with OFA, and intend to return there many times in the coming years. I think you guys are above a "prep" school though - more like a state university vs. private college maybe?

Thunder Ranch Oregon is a good facility with good instructors (one does NOT automatically follow from the other). However they have one aspect which puts me off. It is a lead-free operation. Can't use duty ammo at all for any training there. Have to use special lead-free ammunition.

One of the principle benefits of a shooting course is not only that you are training your mind and body, you are wringing out your equipment. Not being able to train with the ammunition that you will be carrying is a definite drawback.

In TRO's defense, they have no choice. Oregon has required an approved (by both EPA and by Oregon DEQ - who are _serious_ eco-weenies) detailed lead containment and recovery plan to be in place for any new commercial ranges opening in the state for some years now. Big money and big PITA to comply with the lead restrictions. So being a lead-free facility is just about the only way TRO could open in Oregon without doubling the course fees to pay for it.

But no duty ammo, nevertheless. Damn shame.

Thunder Ranch Oregon is a good facility with good instructors (one does NOT automatically follow from the other). However they have one aspect which puts me off. It is a lead-free operation. Can't use duty ammo at all for any training there. Have to use special lead-free ammunition.

One of the principle benefits of a shooting course is not only that you are training your mind and body, you are wringing out your equipment. Not being able to train with the ammunition that you will be carrying is a definite drawback.

In TRO's defense, they have no choice. Oregon has required an approved (by both EPA and by Oregon DEQ - who are _serious_ eco-weenies) detailed lead containment and recovery plan to be in place for any new commercial ranges opening in the state for some years now. Big money and big PITA to comply with the lead restrictions. So being a lead-free facility is just about the only way TRO could open in Oregon without doubling the course fees to pay for it.

But no duty ammo, nevertheless. Damn shame.

2007-Revolver
2008-mid range rifle
2009-urban precision rifle (Ar10)
2010--home and vehicle defense
2011 -- high angle rifle
2012--urban rifle (AR10)
2013--urban rifle (bolt action)
2014--urban precision rifle (bolt action)
2015--home and vehicle defense
2016--urban rifle

Been to OFA A OUT 20x too.

BMT

Sorry, wrong ranch
th?id=OIP.M08ff7edad00b891f1463b5bd3644b8c5o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=260&h=174.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show