Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone been to Brown's Camp lately?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by darkminstrel, Apr 2, 2009.

1. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Thinking of taking my stepson an a friend out this weekend, but heard reports of a good amount of snow out there still. Won't have a 4x4 or even a truck, are the roads car passable yet?

2. BigMac

BigMac Hillsboro New Member

Is it a rental? Does it belong to someone else?

3. darkminstrel

Rental. Last time I went out it was early winter of last year and the snow was thick. Never been there at this time of year.

4. bt97006

bt97006 Aloha Member

I went a couple of weeks ago. There was a little snow on the ground as you got off the highway but is should be passable with a car. There were others at the pit with cars when I was there.

5. Keane

Keane Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I went about a month ago. The ground sucked, and there was a bunch of snow, but I made it to the quarry with little problem in a little sedan.

I think you'd be alright in a 4x4.

6. Frog

Frog Vancouver, Washington Member

8 feet and and ya'll need a Hummer to get into Brown's Camp! :laugh:

I'm going Saturday, and I want a place to park............ :D

Damn, that probably won't work. Oh well, might just have to wait in line. :(

Frog.

7. VinnieBoomBah

VinnieBoomBah Hillsboro OR Active Member

I was up there last Friday, no snow at all. They *may* have gotten some in the last day or so.

8. darkminstrel

Well I'm heading up there on Sunday no matter what. I'll hump the gear up the damned hill if I have to. There's no way I'm going to Bend twice in two weeks just to fraking shoot. Taking some ice blocks and tannerite too. and melons. must have tasty tannerite melons...

9. Ian1816

Ian1816 Oregon City Active Member

You use Tannerite at Browns Camp?

10. darkminstrel

Um. Not yet? Why not? I'll not be destroying propane tanks or anything...

11. Ian1816

It is illegal to use tannerite on public land. So unless you want to get arrested by a state trooper I suggest shooting at something else.

12. darkminstrel

Is that statement anecdotal or lawful? I searched the BATFE statutes on it and the transport is legal, the ownership is legal, and as long as the compounds aren't mixed it doesn't qualify as an explosive. Nor do the components of it. Now, once the accelerant is introduced it does become a regulated product...but doesn't fall under the heading of any item I can find in the Orange Book.

I don't really care if I can't set it off. Bend isn't all THAT far of a trip...really. So we might just have to head out in that direction to get a good range. I guess. Never heard that you can't set the stuff off in certain places.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  13. Ian1816

I agree with your statements but when it comes down to it you are still detonating an explosive on public land. There are a lot of differing opinions on this subjuect but most agree that the law is on your side only when you are using it on private property with the owners consent.

14. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

I do not know this to be law, but I have heard that it can only be detonated on private property.

15. Sandman86

Sandman86 Portland Member

www.tannerite.com

They seem to be from Oregon with the 541 area code. Some of what they say says its legal?

16. darkminstrel

If I recall correctly he's in Hillsborough. Nothing on the site says anything about detonation, just ownership.

17. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

Well, the tannerite argument is null, because they have a conniption if you shoot at anything but paper targets. I can't stress it enough.

18. Ian1816

Who do you mean by "they"?

19. Frog

Frog Vancouver, Washington Member

He 'means' the Sheriff !

I'd say 'they' would have brought the paddy wagon up there today, and hauled off a bunch!!

Tannerite, cans, plastics, you name it!

Don't get me wrong, the Tannerite was cool, and shooting at cans and plastic bottles is fun, but the sign clearly says Paper Targets Only !

My only concern is that they will shut the place down.

Frog.

20. bt97006

bt97006 Aloha Member

I second that concern. Fun and all, Rules is Rules. I don't really know of any other spots closer to go than Brown's camp to shoot.