JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looking forward to serving.. been called in many times.

I hope one day to use jury nullification on something important.

I was called to jury duty in Benton county. The case involved a felon that was found with a firearm. I was called up to the stand and asked if I owned any firearms. I told them I owned multiple guns. I was promptly let go from the jury.

A similar thing happened to me when I told them I was a teetotaler. When asked why, told them I had a friend's mom killed by a drunk driver and saw how drunk parent's affected my students lives. I was promptly dismissed. Turns out they were drunk driving from a beer party, to get more booze, with an elementary age kid in the car, with a license that was suspended due to *drum roll please* drunk driving.

I always thought they needed someone like me on that jury to have a valid sampling of society.

This is probably an odd question ,but I was Just wondering if anyone has ever been asked( or is allowed to be asked) at jury duty if they have a CHL(which is not public info right?) or own any guns.

In all the times I've been called, and it has been several times, the trial was canceled in all but one. The one it wasn't, when they were weeding out jurors, they asked a bunch of questions, but firearm-ownership and CHL was not one of them. If asked, I would have truthfully answered.

Regarding if CHL is public information or not, this article on the Washington County site may be of interest.

If you don't answer would it be perjury?
And if you do acknowledge that then make it public information?

Lying during voir dire can constitute perjury or obstruction of justice. A juror's rights to privacy is another topic though and there is case law on the matter. Interesting question.

Concerning written records, this article may be of interest regarding the jury selection process. But the odds of someone sifting through a mountain of old court records to find if you have a CHL is, imho, so remote as to be of zero concern.

Fastest way to get dismissed? Tell 'em you're a member of Fully Informed Jury Association and believe you are empowered to act as trier not just of fact but of the law itself. (Which was part of the Founders' intent, but the Ambulance Chaser Class hates wild cards of any kind.)

I was called to jury duty in Benton county. The case involved a felon that was found with a firearm. I was called up to the stand and asked if I owned any firearms. I told them I owned multiple guns. I was promptly let go from the jury.

See what they did there? They were looking for non gun owning jurors to seal the deal and not allow any gun owners...:mad::mad::mad:

I was called once informed them of my Active duty status and at the time currently stationed multiple states away. I haven't been called since. Declining to answer a question isn't perjury however if you lied on the stand that would be perjuring yourself. Basically, you can decline to answer a question but if you lied you would be in trouble.

While not in Oregon ... But I have been on a jury twice.
My first time I think it was the fact that I have a CPL , am a gun owner and had military service that got me on the jury.
All three of those things were relevant to the case and questions regarding those matters were asked of the jury pool.

Serving on jury duty or being on a jury is very important and not to be taken lightly.
I found the experience to be enlightening , as in I was willing to do my duty and learned a bit about the court system, but also damn glad I wasn't on trial.
Andy

While not in Oregon ... But I have been on a jury twice.
My first time I think it was the fact that I have a CPL , am a gun owner and had military service that got me on the jury.
All three of those things were relevant to the case.

Serving on jury duty or being on a jury is very important and not to be taken lightly.
I found the experience to be enlightening , as in I was willing to do my duty and learned a bit about the court system, but also damn glad I wasn't on trial.
Andy

So when concealing a flintlock do you just carry multiple pistols or do you carry a speed loader pouch holding paper cartridges :-D sorry complete thread derail but I had to ask.

That's funny ... and we do indeed talk about concealed carry of guns from the 1760's -the 1880s during our show / displays at times....:D

I don't always carry... But when I do carry its a Colt Series 70 Government Model in .45acp.
Andy

Fastest way to get dismissed? Tell 'em you're a member of Fully Informed Jury Association and believe you are empowered to act as trier not just of fact but of the law itself. (Which was part of the Founders' intent, but the Ambulance Chaser Class hates wild cards of any kind.)
^^^^
THIS, and for the OP take a look at this PDF link; http://www.fija.org/docs/JG_Jurors_Handbook.pdf

~Whitney

Been summoned 4 times so far - twice when Clackamas County's term of service was a full month (you would call in each day to see if you had to report). After having sat in the jury waiting area a total of 12 times now, I can say I've never made it to a jury or even a jury selection. The one time I was being pulled out for jury selection, the judge walked in the door and said they had just settled the case out of court. If the gun issue had come up, I would have answered truthfully.

I'd like, if required, to be judged by 12 people that are more than willing to serve their civic duty.

I swear I'm the only person that doesn't curse when that letter comes in the mail.
After years of not being able to take the time off to serve ( small business owner), I was called and selected to serve last fall. Quite an eye opener. Sorry I didn't do it sooner. The rule of law is held by a slender thread, recommend serving to all who can. One person can make a difference.

My dismissal always comes when they ask if I will follow the judges directions and I say no, because in the spirit of our jury system the judge is not empowered to TELL me to do anything. Not that I won't necessarily do what he intends, but I am not going to promise to follow instructions I haven't even heard yet. He may tell the jury to ignore this testimony or follow that precedent and I don't have to.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top