JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
are you sure WA law isn't the same as OR in regard to "switchblades?" most people in oregon are under the misunderstanding that "switchblades" are illegal here too.

RCW 9.41.250

(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

Robertson's also has some fine examples of custom fixed blade fighting knives. Most of the better examples of these are hand forged knives that use non stainless carbon steel for blades. You want to look for steels like W2, L6, 1095 for the best hardness and edge holding characteristics. AG Russel's knife site has a pretty good summary of the characteristics of different steels, but in a stainless you want S30V, CPM 154, ATS-34, VG-10 for the best stainless steels that can me made scary sharp and will hold the edge for a long time. A lot of the factory knives you see these days use pretty crummy steels that are marginal in terms of their durability and edge holding ability (440A for example).

Grab N Go

DSC01906.jpg

i'd be careful with that sucker in beavertown. you and i both know it's totally legal, but i've actually witnessed first-hand how ignorant beaverton cops can be. one of the females over there once arrested a guy for "concealed weapon" for having a Rambo knife in his pants... her justification was that the bone-saw on the back would be "scary enough" to convince a jury that it fit the criteria spelled out in 166.240 and 166.250. the guy was a DB, but that's still pretty messed up.

i'm so glad i'm out of that county now.

I bought that Cold Steel Rajah folder as well, but I can't think of a situation I'd carry it in outside of TEOTWAWKI (it lives under my mattress).

An LEO friend of mine insists that OC spray and a handgun is a better combo of non-lethal + lethal weapons for any possible self defense situation in WA. He is of the opinion that police, prosecutors and juries treat knives as worse than firearms in some respects, because they are unregulated (no CCW etc). He is correct in that on the spectrum of force, knives and handguns are essentially equal in the eyes of the law i.e. they are both deadly weapons.

I wouldn't (and don't) carry spray and a CCW. (If you can't carry a handgun, definitely carry spray.)

If you are involved in a shooting where you had spray, but didn't use it, it seems very likely that the prosecutor will harp on, "He had a spray that he could have used to stop the poor poor attacker, but he DIDN'T! He just killed the poor thug..."

i'm totally opposed to non-LEO civilian carriage of less-lethal, personaly.

firstly, most people think its wacky- why exactly, i don't know. but i do know that jurys are supposed to be comprised of "most people."

second, these devices/systems usually require more training to use effectively than firearms- and since the VAST majority of people who carry firearms are grossly under-trained, i doubt people will train for their less-lethal bubblegum.

thirdly, they're notoriously prone to ineffectiveness and failure. and since the principles of action/reaction dictate we already generally have very little time to react in self-defense situations, i don't see any reason to throw caltrops under your own tires.

...If you are involved in a shooting where you had spray, but didn't use it, it seems very likely that the prosecutor will harp on, "He had a spray that he could have used to stop the poor poor attacker, but he DIDN'T! He just killed the poor thug..."

Wrong. If you are justified to use DF, then having less lethal and not using it won't matter.

However.... many times you are not justified in DF but spray would be considered prudent.

I carry an ASP Defender on the keyring. You always have a kubaton on you in hand and can get to spray quickly.

I use to carry a fixed blade EDC but found it too inconvenient and now carry a Dejavoo as my only fighting blade but have NO misconceptions on how hard it is to get it (or any folder) into the fight after having taken SouthNarcs class.

This is a Chris Reeve Nkonka in a Survival Sheath Systems inverted carry rig I had Robert make up some time ago.

The Survival Sheath harness can be removed, and the knife can be hung off of a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster on the ammo side.

The knife is one of 206 made out of 3V steel, so I normally leave it in the display case. ;)

whats special about 3V? and what good's the knife do you in a display case?

I'm guessing it's because 3V has a reputation for rusting.

I got jealous of you Oregonians with your fancy legal automatics and upgraded to a Benchmade Barrage with a spring assisted opening. It's as technologically advanced a knife as the upstanding citizens of Washington will allow. :s0114:

BM585sbk.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads