JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy from Canada.

Just out of shear curiosity and since this is "Northwest Firearms" related and there's a ton of oil/gas in the NW states, I'm wondering if anyone here works in the oil/gas industry or drilling.

I *was* a mud man for a smaller independent company here in Calgary. I was laid off on Jan 31st.

The patch up here has sunk like a ****ing rock. There really isn't anything going on right now, and right now is supposed to be the "busy season". We *had* 800+ rigs in Alberta a few years ago, then our douchey government came out with a new royalty structure and the bigger companies started moving into B.C., Saskatchewan and the northern states.

Now we have 600 rigs, or thereabouts and the last time I checked, only 200 of those were actually working, which is quite pathetic because even a year ago at this time we had 85-90% utilization and everyone was fairly busy.

Anyways, just thought I'd check in and see what's happening south of the 49th.

Hello targettarget-

Not much oil and gas activity around Oregon and Washington. I worked for a service company (cementing, acidizing, and hydraulic fracturing) in Texas, Oklahoma, and Colorado during the last real "boom" of the late 70's and early 80's. I watched most of the domestic service industry being sold off to the Russians and Chinese during that time, and finally left for greener pastures in 1987. Drilling and workover rigs lay rusting in fields all over the patch in the late 80's. The boom years were the best days of my working life, although it wasn't the easiest way to make a living :)

Best of luck with finding a job and welcome to the board.
the Quiet Man

Not much oil and gas activity around Oregon and Washington.

Ya, true enough. I got a little overzealous assuming that by Northwest that means everything Montana east, not just the Pacific states.

I've heard of the early 90's bust. I wasn't working yet, never mind having anything to do with oil, but I remember the stories from the old man. He seems to think that this little situation were in is going to be much worse. I hope not, but we'll see, I suppose.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top