JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
20190702_171230.jpg 20190702_171143.jpg 20190702_173952.jpg 20190702_171230.jpg 20190702_171143.jpg 20190702_173952.jpg
I'm wanting to put a small hoist in the ceiling in my shop with intent to lift
200 lbs with and possibly hang there for long periods of time..
Shop is 2 x 4 truss system on. 24" center (see pics)

I was thinking a wood 4×4 across the top of 4 of the trusses on top and the setup pictured with the hoist on bottom using all thread thru 4x4s and steel square bar..
The pic with colored lines is indicating direction and length of 4 x 4, steel bar with holes, location of hoist and dotted line indicates where the truss comes down and connects at ceiling level..
Thoughts? Overkill or remedy for failure... SmartSelect_20190702-173015_Edge.jpg

I would go further up the trusses near the peak and screw in some 2x6 cross joists and then lay a 4x4 across the 2x6's.
Then run a longer length of all thread down through the sheet rock.
The 2x4 bottom cords of the trusses are not that strong and are only engineered to hold the sheet rock.

When you put the plywood down, did you stand on a joist?? Did it give any indications of sagging?? That would be close to two hundred pounds (whatever you weigh) on only one joist. Presuming it was okay, 200 pounds spread over four joists won't be a problem.

I've spent lots of time in "attics" standing on a single truss without so much as a crack in the mud. I'm over 200 pounds. Spreading that weight across 4 with the system the OP explained will be ok. As long as the wood is healthy. :)

I've spent lots of time in "attics" standing on a single truss without so much as a crack in the mud. I'm over 200 pounds. Spreading that weight across 4 with the system the OP explained will be ok. As long as the wood is healthy. :)
Agreed, and same here but a spry 380lbs at my heaviest and I still didnt break anything in the attics Ive serviced.

@jbett98 had a great load design as well.

Here is the video I found that gave me inspiration..
He's only lifting kayaks so I added the 4x4 going across the top of the 2x4s. Considered using 2 of the pre drilled square bars. One on top of 2x4s inside and one attached to lift as per video..

8cea0431164e75d4afd825294940de36.jpg
I see people just using 4 eye bolts and not having issues.. (pic)

I can see how using the angle would distribute the weight for sure..
Chances that this gets used frequently are zero..
At some point the cheap harbor freight hoist worries me more than the 2x4s..

I would go further up the trusses near the peak and screw in some 2x6 cross joists and then lay a 4x4 across the 2x6's.
Then run a longer length of all thread down through the sheet rock.
The 2x4 bottom cords of the trusses are not that strong and are only engineered to hold the sheet rock.

When you put the plywood down, did you stand on a joist?? Did it give any indications of sagging?? That would be close to two hundred pounds (whatever you weigh) on only one joist. Presuming it was okay, 200 pounds spread over four joists won't be a problem.
Missed your reply.
Builder put the plywood in. I remember him being 200 lbs but didn't watch him.
I saw a few other comments from over 200 lb members..
I'm 170 lbs with a full steak dinner in me so....‍♂️

The eye bolts shown in the picture holding up the canopy may be lagged into floor joists, not roof trusses.
An engineered roof truss has been designed to withstand snow loads and wind shear, also the weight of the roofing material.
The bottom chord, which your ceiling board is attached to, is not to be cut or have holes drilled through them.
Electrical wires and heating ducts are run on top of the bottom chords.
Call the Precision Truss Company in Clackamas and ask for Cliff Puckett and he will advise you on the best way to accomplish what you're trying to do. He designed all of my roofs when I was building custom additions.
Have the width of the garage/shop handy, as he will want to know that.

Precision Truss & Lumber, Inc.
11550 SE Jennifer Street
Clackamas, OR 97015

Phone No.: 503.656.2983
Cliff Puckett: Truss Sales ext. 124

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR