JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I use a mesh bag like this to collect fired brass at the range.

51246006-4750-4F15-8B82-5E422CA50887.jpeg

I was wondering if it would work to keep larger and smaller calibers of brass from nesting while wet tumbling with ss pins. Anybody use something similar successfully.

Sounds like something worth trying. Up until now, I separate, and you have to anyway.
Problem is, don't have enough 380 to justify a run in the tumbler, and I certainly don't want to mix it with any other caliber....

Try Separating case sizes before tumbling.
Genius why didn't I think of that? Sometimes it would be nice to tumble nesting calibers though hence the question. It has nothing to do with separating after tumbling. It has everything to do with not having the odd bed mates nest preventing proper cleaning.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't just run a handfull of cases for a few mins. Then run a different caliber. Unless your running a cement mixer with brass, I just don't see a reason.

I tumble for 1 to 2 hours as I want my cases spotless. With the FA tumbler I like to have at least a couple hundred cases minimum to not waste time and resources. I generally like to tumble after 1 or two range sessions and frequently will have a mixed load of pistol brass and a larger rifle caliber. It would be nice to run them together. I am pretty sure the mesh bag will work so I will give it a go.

I'd like to know the results Osprey.

I understand your dilemma. Just a few handfuls of different caliber brass, not enough to run each alone but if run together would make a load worthwhile.

I will give it a go and report back. The bag is pretty durable but you may be right about the cases eventually cutting the bag Tilos. Luckily the material is dirt cheap so if you got 3-5 runs out of it that would be ok.

Interesting solution - hope it works for you. I have learned over time to do what others have said around it being a good opportunity to inspect cases during separation. Every time I've been impatient (as I enjoy saving both water and time), it ends up with more work in the end. I usually just wait until I get enough of cases close-enough to where they won't nest, like .40 and 10mm, but definitely understand your plight (I think we all get the desire to optimize here).

Let us know if/how it works... even us naysayers :).

I will give it a go and report back. The bag is pretty durable but you may be right about the cases eventually cutting the bag Tilos. Luckily the material is dirt cheap so if you got 3-5 runs out of it that would be ok.
The other scenario I run into is keeping my twice or thrice fired brass separate from my once fired brass. I don't want to tumble them all together and lose track but if one could keep them separate and still tumble them all together, well that would just be a great thing!

Going to make a mess. That bag won't hold up.

Separate first as mentioned above a few times.

It's a good idea but you need the extra tumbling action to help clean.

Ok experiment commencing. The loadout will consist of 200@ of 308, 60@ of 223 and 16@ of 45-70. The 308 will go in loose and the 223 and 45-70 will go in bag secured and separated by zipties as shown. 418B9ABE-D5F2-46C1-AD67-64260B71C2BC.jpeg

I left some room in the sections of the mesh bag for the brass to move around freely. Tumbler is doing it's thing and set for 2hrs.
5AF16838-BF48-4B56-BFF2-52A451D1FF36.jpeg

*Mid tumble update* I shut down after 1hr to check status. I fished a couple 308 cases out and they look to be on schedule. Another 30min or so and they will be spotless. I then fished out the bag and found most of the 223 gone from one side of bag. After close examination I determined the bag was intact with no breeches. It turns out 223 can get out the mesh holes o_O. The 45-70 was still captive and appeared to be cleaning up nicely. I will have to experiment more but I am guessing 9mm will not escape like the 223. I put it back online for another hour escaped 223 and all.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top