Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

anybody taking a hiatus from shooting due to ammo shortage?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by speelyei, Jul 22, 2009.

1. speelyei

speelyei Willamette Valley Active Member

last time I pulled the trigger was at the Willamette Valley Sniper trials...
    bummer.

2. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I haven't stopped, but I've dramatically slowed down. I'm falling in love with .22lr again (when I can find it) :)

3. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Yes, that and finding a place to shoot! (longer ranges)

4. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

I too have slowed down. I had a goal of shooting 1 box of rounds through my carry gun every 2 weeks... that's turned into 1 box every 2 months. Not the best way to become truly proficient but it is what it us. I have the ammo to support my original goal... but I don't want to be out if I actually need it.

Also Joey, You'll be getting a PM... I think some clays are going to be contested soon.

5. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

i bought a airsoft saves on ammo and gas i can target practice in my back yard:laugh:

seriously though no more mag dumps i actully take more time aiming and make each shot count more as they cost more.

but i have converted my uppers to shoot 7.62x25 and 5.45 so its not so bad they will pay for themselves when i shoot them out and if those cals dry up i can just swop the barrel and bolt back to .223

6. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

Only thing that is preventing me from shooting is time... spending too much time working on the yard and the house.... not enough time destroying paper targets :(

7. Anoobie Knewberton 47

Anoobie Knewberton 47 Oregon Member

Go to the range less. Take less guns w/ me each time. Spend less time there each time. Lately it's a lot of 22lr, and a half a box or so of 30.06 to remind me that some firearms do have recoil. Haven't switched to airsoft yet, but have been shooting my 7 year old's red rider more this summer than he has.

8. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

+1 That too, thanks to the ammo shortage i'm getting more done around the house:bluelaugh:

9. uscsoldier

uscsoldier Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

same here, glad I stocked up on 22LR when I got my GSG:thumbup: Also I've been doing alot of shotgun drills:cool:

10. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

Slowed way down but not stopping. I shoot more 45 and variants then anything else because that's the only thing I reload and I still have primers, bullets, and powder for it and plenty of reloaded rounds at the moment.

22LR? If I knew how to get more I'd shoot it but since it is hard to come by right now I actually don't shoot that much at all. Way to easy to blow through 500-1000 of that because of old bad habits of thinking **** it cost next to nothing and they always have ton's of it at the store... Not anymore!

11. roguebowhunter

roguebowhunter medford Member

<< lotsa reloading ... i got lucky and ran into some good deal before everything went to **** in a hand basket .. so i have lotsa primers and powder ... found someone to cast my 45 acp bullets ... ROCKIN AND ROLLIN ... Don

12. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

shooting lots of 7.62x25 @ $70.00 per 800rds I can plink all day, bought around 6000rds to get my fix. Still have a few cans of 8mm from when it was 70rds for less than $5. still have a few 50cans full of .17HMR and some full of 22 and 22mag. plenty of 40 and 45acp running low on LC but plenty of supplies to reload. only thing I am sorta short on is 7.5x55. the rest I reload anyway.

Needless to say I was well prepared even before we heard of bam bam. I had more of a challenge getting the cans than the ammo.:D

like I said before lots of ammo and no time to use it......and NO I don't want to sell it cheap......LOL:laugh::laugh:

13. billc

billc Albany Member

What shortage?

14. cameronhu

cameronhu Ridgefield, Wa Member

Not slowing down, but consolidating calibers and buying in bulk.

15. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

Today was amazing at the Sandy Bi-Mart - normally I go a bit before lunch when they have the most ammo in stock. Today I was too busy, so I went at 7pm:

They had .380, 9mm, .40, .45, .223, 7.62x39, .308, 38special, 44mag, 357 mag... they had it all!!!!

All I bought was 17HMR "TNT" -- we'll see how that works out ;-)

No .22 in stock, except for CCI "short" or whatever it is called... I bet .22 was in earlier but I missed it.

I took a video with my phone, I'll try to get it online sometime - it is the most ammo I have seen in a long, long, long time.

16. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I just go and do airsoft, its fun and you can shoot at people.

17. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Same here - saw the shelves going empty and not being restocked so I stocked up on reloading components - lots of components....

18. Brandon44647

Brandon44647 Portland Member

I'm pretty well set for reloading my own right now (.243win) It's been a lot of fun testing & shooting my own instead of doing the ammo shuffle......

19. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

I have slowed way down to the point where I only shoot Practical Rifle once a month an thats it. I am now giving more attention to other interests

20. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Been there often, today shot some 250 rds thru the New AR that MacBookProAR Helped me out with.. What a great sport, fun reloading and building new pieces.