JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a question the kinda pertains to this topic.

I hike the trask tree farm, I've carried a .357 for protection, I've always felt it was inadequate for black bear though, but I'm unsure if I can carry a shotgun on weyhauser property. A few weeks ago when I was leaving the gate, I made it about a 1/4 of a mile down the road in my truck and had a pretty large black bear just standung in the middle of the road. In the years before this I had seen a lot of deer and 1 pretty large cougar, but never any bear.

Makes me worried hiking out there now. I was wondering if I picked up a cougar tag would I legally be allowed to carry on their property since they allow hunting.

well you should call them and tell them what you were told, make sure you say it is for defensive purposes while hiking, you don't plan to shoot

I would be floored if they said no.....only way I see that is if there is absolutely no trespassing.

On some private logging lands there is no trespassing during fireseason only, all other times of the year its ok to walk and hunt the land.

As suggested, you may want to call them and ask them if it is OK to carry on their property - whether you are licensed to carry or not. It is their property.

Let alone shooting and killing something on their property....

Just a FWIW.....

I do a lot of hiking on Weyerhaeuser (and others) tree farms with my rather large German Shepard. I have run into security only once and the guy was not exactly friendly: he was armed, holstered glock. Dog and I we sitting on a log taking a breather. My dog is rather intimidating looking (95lbs) although he is actually just a big teddy bear. Any as the security guy approached and saw my dog, he put his hand on his weapon and was ready to unholtser. He asked what I was doing out there, I replied 'hiking with my dog'. Once he could see we were no threat/not doing anything forbidden, he relaxed a bit. However, was he was upset by cars blocking the gates (clearly marked "do not block gate") and the shell casings found all about the trails where people are clearly target shooting. He and talked about this a bit and he made it quite clear: hunting in their land in perfectly ok, target shooting is not.

I'd not want to get caught breaking their rules and I think they are not exactly tolerant about this, nor should they expected to be. Look at all the rubbish the bubblegums leave at shooting areas.

Their land, their rules, respect it else we will all lose access to it -- that's my view.

Cheers,
DJM

I do a lot of hiking on Weyerhaeuser (and others) tree farms with my rather large German Shepard. I have run into security only once and the guy was not exactly friendly: he was armed, holstered glock. Dog and I we sitting on a log taking a breather. My dog is rather intimidating looking (95lbs) although he is actually just a big teddy bear. Any as the security guy approached and saw my dog, he put his hand on his weapon and was ready to unholtser. He asked what I was doing out there, I replied 'hiking with my dog'. Once he could see we were no threat/not doing anything forbidden, he relaxed a bit. However, was he was upset by cars blocking the gates (clearly marked "do not block gate") and the shell casings found all about the trails where people are clearly target shooting. He and talked about this a bit and he made it quite clear: hunting in their land in perfectly ok, target shooting is not.

I'd not want to get caught breaking their rules and I think they are not exactly tolerant about this, nor should they expected to be. Look at all the rubbish the bubblegums leave at shooting areas.

Their land, their rules, respect it else we will all lose access to it -- that's my view.

Cheers,
DJM
and they wish everyone had your attitude, there would be no need for security

no security folks on private industry land down here , but I wouldn't be surprised if it went there someday . These days stupid people actually think no one own the land ......trash it, catch it on fire, shoot, cut and burn merchantable timber, that doesn't belong to them....and of course fire spreads to others lands.....eventually homes.

I dealt with one guy " what do you mean? This is open forest land".....lol.....no such thing, if your standing on it, someone owns it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top