Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anybody shoot on Weyerhaeuser land despite WARNINGS?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by clash, Mar 2, 2015.

1. clash

clash Beaverton Member

Does anybody? curious to read stories. Ever get caught? What happened?
    Do they patrol their tree farms? The cops? Some look like no one's been there for ages.
    Found a 100 to 900 yard flat place, perfect for long range shooting, but there is a gate and a sign on it that says access permissible, but "no target shooting". What to do? Anybody have stories?

2. Liberty97045

Liberty97045 Oregon City Well-Known Member

I suggest respecting their PRIVATE property rights.

I fully understand WHY they do not allow target shooting. Trash everywhere, shot shells everywhere, old water heaters and other appliances left in the woods, shot up trees, etc.

You could probably get away with it but why be that guy?

There are private clubs accepting new members in the area. There is also plenty of public land.

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yes they do patrol yes the police do visit those areas and yes you can and most likely will get in trouble for shooting where you do not have permission.

4. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

Trespassing with a firearm can get you arrested at least fined I have heard they have cameras at some gates . I am no fan of the Weyerhouser :mad: and their greed when it comes to allowing hunters on their land . But the law is the law. And a few shooters are just idiots shooting up stuff they ought not be shooting and leaving a mess and making the rest of us look bad. although I think shooters take the rap for illegal dumpers as well .

5. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Trespassing with a firearm is a Cass-A misdemeanor in Oregon. You will be subject to a fine up to $6,250 and a year in jail. If you have a CHL, you lose it.

164.265 Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm. (1) A person commits the crime of criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm who, while in possession of a firearm, enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises.

(2) Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor. [1979 c.603 §2]

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/lawsstatutes/2013ors164.html

161.635 Fines for misdemeanors. (1) A sentence to pay a fine for a misdemeanor shall be a sentence to pay an amount, fixed by the court, not exceeding:

(a) $6,250 for a Class A misdemeanor.

(b) $2,500 for a Class B misdemeanor.

(c) $1,250 for a Class C misdemeanor.

(2) A sentence to pay a fine for an unclassified misdemeanor shall be a sentence to pay an amount, fixed by the court, as provided in the statute defining the crime.

(3) If a person has gained money or property through the commission of a misdemeanor, then upon conviction thereof the court, instead of imposing the fine authorized for the offense under this section, may sentence the defendant to pay an amount fixed by the court, not exceeding double the amount of the defendant’s gain from the commission of the offense. In that event, ORS 161.625 (4) and (5) apply.

(4) This section does not apply to corporations. [1971 c.743 §77; 1981 c.390 §2; 1993 c.680 §30; 1995 c.545 §2; 1999 c.1051 §44; 2003 c.737 §87]

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/lawsstatutes/2013ors161.html

166.291 Issuance of concealed handgun license; application; fees; liability. (1) The sheriff of a county, upon a person’s application for an Oregon concealed handgun license, upon receipt of the appropriate fees and after compliance with the procedures set out in this section, shall issue the person a concealed handgun license if the person:

(a)(A) Is a citizen of the United States; or

(B) Is a legal resident alien who can document continuous residency in the county for at least six months and has declared in writing to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services the intent to acquire citizenship status and can present proof of the written declaration to the sheriff at the time of application for the license;

(b) Is at least 21 years of age;

(c) Is a resident of the county;

(d) Has no outstanding warrants for arrest;

(e) Is not free on any form of pretrial release;

(f) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:

(A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

(F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or

(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(g) Has never been convicted of a felony or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295, of a felony;

(h) Has not been convicted of a misdemeanor or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295, of a misdemeanor within the four years prior to the application;

(i) Has not been committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130;

(j) Has not been found to be a person with mental illness and is not subject to an order under ORS 426.130 that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness;

(k) Has been discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for more than four years if, while a minor, the person was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for having committed an act that, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, as defined in ORS 166.470;

(L) Has not been convicted of an offense involving controlled substances or participated in a court-supervised drug diversion program, except this disability does not operate to exclude a person if:

(A) The person has been convicted only once of violating ORS 475.864 (3)(c) and has not completed a court-supervised drug diversion program under ORS 135.907; or

(B) The person has completed a court-supervised drug diversion program under ORS 135.907 and has not been convicted of violating ORS 475.864 (3)(c);

(m) Is not subject to a citation issued under ORS 163.735 or an order issued under ORS 30.866, 107.700 to 107.735 or 163.738;

(n) Has not received a dishonorable discharge from the Armed Forces of the United States; and

(o) Is not required to register as a sex offender in any state.

(2) A person who has been granted relief under ORS 166.274 or 166.293 or section 5, chapter 826, Oregon Laws 2009, or 18 U.S.C. 925(c) or has had the person’s record expunged under the laws of this state or equivalent laws of other jurisdictions is not subject to the disabilities in subsection (1)(g) to (L) of this section.

(3) Before the sheriff may issue a license:

(a) The application must state the applicant’s legal name, current address and telephone number, date and place of birth, hair and eye color and height and weight. The application must also list the applicant’s residence address or addresses for the previous three years. The application must contain a statement by the applicant that the applicant meets the requirements of subsection (1) of this section. The application may include the Social Security number of the applicant if the applicant voluntarily provides this number. The application must be signed by the applicant.

(b) The applicant must submit to fingerprinting and photographing by the sheriff. The sheriff shall fingerprint and photograph the applicant and shall conduct any investigation necessary to corroborate the requirements listed under subsection (1) of this section. If a nationwide criminal records check is necessary, the sheriff shall request the Department of State Police to conduct the check, including fingerprint identification, through the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The Federal Bureau of Investigation shall return the fingerprint cards used to conduct the criminal records check and may not keep any record of the fingerprints. The Department of State Police shall report the results of the fingerprint-based criminal records check to the sheriff. The Department of State Police shall also furnish the sheriff with any information about the applicant that the Department of State Police may have in its possession including, but not limited to, manual or computerized criminal offender information.

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/lawsstatutes/2013ors166.html

166.293 Denial or revocation of license; review. (1) If the application for the concealed handgun license is denied, the sheriff shall set forth in writing the reasons for the denial. The denial shall be sent to the applicant by certified mail, restricted delivery, within 45 days after the application was made. If no decision is issued within 45 days, the person may seek review under the procedures in subsection (5) of this section.

(2) Notwithstanding ORS 166.291 (1), and subject to review as provided in subsection (5) of this section, a sheriff may deny a concealed handgun license if the sheriff has reasonable grounds to believe that the applicant has been or is reasonably likely to be a danger to self or others, or to the community at large, as a result of the applicant’s mental or psychological state or as demonstrated by the applicant’s past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence.

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/lawsstatutes/2013ors166.html

(3)(a) Any act or condition that would prevent the issuance of a concealed handgun license is cause for revoking a concealed handgun license.

(b) A sheriff may revoke a concealed handgun license by serving upon the licensee a notice of revocation. The notice must contain the grounds for the revocation and must be served either personally or by certified mail, restricted delivery. The notice and return of service shall be included in the file of the licensee. The revocation is effective upon the licensee’s receipt of the notice.

(4) Any peace officer or corrections officer may seize a concealed handgun license and return it to the issuing sheriff if the license is held by a person who has been arrested or cited for a crime that can or would otherwise disqualify the person from being issued a concealed handgun license. The issuing sheriff shall hold the license for 30 days. If the person is not charged with a crime within the 30 days, the sheriff shall return the license unless the sheriff revokes the license as provided in subsection (3) of this section.

(5) A person denied a concealed handgun license or whose license is revoked or not renewed under ORS 166.291 to 166.295 may petition the circuit court in the petitioner’s county of residence to review the denial, nonrenewal or revocation. The petition must be filed within 30 days after the receipt of the notice of denial or revocation.

(6) The judgment affirming or overturning the sheriff’s decision shall be based on whether the petitioner meets the criteria that are used for issuance of a concealed handgun license and, if the petitioner was denied a concealed handgun license, whether the sheriff has reasonable grounds for denial under subsection (2) of this section. Whenever the petitioner has been previously sentenced for a crime under ORS 161.610 or for a crime of violence for which the person could have received a sentence of more than 10 years, the court shall grant relief only if the court finds that relief should be granted in the interest of justice.

(7) Notwithstanding the provisions of ORS 9.320, a corporation, the state or any city, county, district or other political subdivision or public corporation in this state, without appearance by attorney, may appear as a party to an action under this section.

(8) Petitions filed under this section shall be heard and disposed of within 15 judicial days of filing or as soon as practicable thereafter.

(9) Filing fees for actions shall be as for any civil action filed in the court. If the petitioner prevails, the amount of the filing fee shall be paid by the respondent to the petitioner and may be incorporated into the court order.

(10) Initial appeals of petitions shall be heard de novo.

(11) Any party to a judgment under this section may appeal to the Court of Appeals in the same manner as for any other civil action.

(12) If the governmental entity files an appeal under this section and does not prevail, it shall be ordered to pay the attorney fees for the prevailing party. [1989 c.839 §9a (166.291 to 166.293 enacted in lieu of 166.290); 1993 c.735 §6; 1995 c.518 §3; 1995 c.658 §89; 1999 c.1052 §7; 2003 c.14 §65; 2007 c.202 §1; 2007 c.368 §3]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Koda and Liberty97045 like this.
  6. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Curious, how many bullet holes were in that "No Trespassing" sign?.....:confused:

nwwoodsman likes this.
  7. clash

clash Beaverton Member

I am glad you posted this. Question arises to mind. The tree farm is not restricted. It's allowed to enter it. That's clearly stated on the sign. It's also allowed to hunt on it (during seasons). However, prohibited activities involve target shooting, and camping. So given that it's not prohibited to enter it, can target shooting still qualify as trespassing? Or would it result in a demand to leave the premises? I am trying to understand how they invite people over, but upon the commission of a specific act, then turn around and claim trespassing.

8. clash

clash Beaverton Member

None LoL, it was a shiny sign though. Looked freshly installed.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  9. clash

clash Beaverton Member

Again for the lawyers out there, is it trespassing if the property is open to the public? Can it be trespassing if you can enter the property as the sign says. Then the minute you shoot at a target or camp there immediately becomes trespassing. That's what I am trying to understand.

10. clash

clash Beaverton Member

Because again it is clearly trespassing if you come into my yard uninvited. But if I invite you in, but put a sign on my door saying "no hitting on my sister" If then you hit on my sister during dinner. Can I then call the cops and claim trespassing? Or is it just get out of my house because you broke a clearly stated direction.

11. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

If someone opens their land up to use it and says here are the rules why would you want to break them in the first place?

I now see what your asking but to me thats just going to get the land closed off to every one and give shooters a bad rep so even if it were not illegal to do its just wrong. Even if its the weherhouser douchbags land

12. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Seem clear to me.

"You have access to be on this property as long as you are not doing xyz."

So you get caught doing xyz then you will be cited.

Simple enough. Why press the issue? Better yet why not call them and ask them if you can get permission to do so? State your intentions and how you plan to keep it clean and even clean up a little if there is debris when you arrive???

NoFlinch likes this.
  13. clash

clash Beaverton Member

That's what I am trying to understand. I am trying to understand from experience not conjecture or range promoters.
    Ranges that have waiting lists people have been on for 2 years now! and that don't beyond 600 yards
    What's more, long range shooting involves picking up your gong after you are done because that 16 inch AR500 steel gong costs 90 bucks, not even including chains and hardware. So it's not about trashing the place! Frankly if everyone were a long range shooter, signs like that wouldn't be there!
    Also the number on the sign to report violations doesn't even work. So I am trying to understand from someone who's actually been in that position where they were shooting and got interdicted what actually happened. I am looking for facts, not opinion or range promotion.

14. clash

clash Beaverton Member

Blowjobs are illegal in New Jersey (Old law still on the book). Does that mean no one gets blown there, or gets prosecuted for it? I am trying to understand if it's a warning, if it's a get off the property now! Or if it's worse, not from what you think it is, but hopefully from someone who's been in that position.

15. eldbillbo

We do need more public land for long range shooting . BLM makes trails for hikers ATV users and Horse Back riding why not more land for target shooters right? Best way to get your answer may be to call the State police department or a Lawyer.

what your asking to do is just wrong . but to kind of answer your question you can get caught. gun shots are loud and attract the police and also law abiding citizens who have cell phones. i have met one person who got caught and got a hefty fine for shooting a tree and i think he got his gun taken away too. and heard of others getting caught since both lumber jacks and tree huggers got together and made it against the law to shoot trees A. it kills trees and B. it breaks chain saw blades . Granted you're not asking about shooting trees

americanredoubt likes this.
  16. clash

clash Beaverton Member

I agree. 1 lane, up to a 1000 yards, wouldn't be hard for them to do. Wouldn't take too much land to create and would divert everyone to a given or a few spots

Frankly before people get on their high horses, seeing people speeding pulling 65 regularly in a 55 zone, on the way to their hiking or shooting spot like i saw all day today, worries me more and is more "wrong" then someone safely shooting at a berm. You ve all done it. That offense can end someone's life! Speeding is also breaking the law. So let's not get all holy here! The question was: what's the punishment? Is it a stern talking to? and has someone experienced it? Lest anybody be sanctimonious, I am sure you are breaking laws all day long! So let's not start getting into what's "what your asking to do is just wrong" There way more wrong around here. We all know it.

17. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Speeding is a ticket, unless you go over enough for it to be a felony. The two can't be compared as similar crimes, as the punishment is much different.

18. aflineman

aflineman Both South of Eugene and East of Portland. Active Member

Why not go out there and shoot. Then you will know your answer.

No target shooting means exactly that. No target shooting. Not really rocket surgery.

I would suggest finding somewhere else to shoot. You can buy a lot of gas for the price of lawyer fees and fines. You would also lose any drive time you saved at the closer spot, while sitting in jail.

d2the3 likes this.
  19. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Laws are for the lawless, don't be lawless... until the law is lawless anyway. o_O

nwwoodsman likes this.
  20. ARKLITE881South

ARKLITE881South USA Well-Known Member

Simple, it's their land their rules, break them get caught, pay the price. I don't need to shoot that bad and then get a fine, and weapons confiscated. Its getting harder and harder to find good shooting spots. People don't care, they throw trash out, beer cans, shotgun shell hulls, junk, and we wonder why they close down shooting spots, put gates up. I don't blame any of them. Its too bad.

americanredoubt likes this.