JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have used TrailBoss and various bullets, mostly on the 220 gr range. Never able to get consistent results, always one out of four or five shots would be 150-200 fps slower and four to six inches lower at 100 yards. Maybe if I used new brass, I could get get better results. Instead I went to 300 Blackout.

Anyone had any problems with the newer Winchester primers. Went shooting today 7mm Mag and had four primers blow a pinhole in the top edge of the primer, cut around the top of the primer pocket and actually made a small crater in the bolt face. The other rounds I shot were using older Winchester primers and no problems.
Gold colored were the problem...silver colored no problems. Same powder loads, did the same on two different bullet types....but then again the silver primers showed no problems.
I found a couple articles describing the same problems with Winchester primers.

What the heck?

Hmmm, I'm trying desperately hard here to see the connection between my question and your post, but I guess that the distance between us has fudged the issue somewhat.

However, in an attempt to answer YOUR query, I can tell you that the last lot of 1000 Winchester large rifle primers I bought here in UK [gold, like yours] went back to the dealership after the first four reloads using them had been fired. Two were sloooooooooooow and the next two were converted to powder on firing. I stopped at that point, carefully dismantled the fother forty-eight rounds I'd made up, and went back to the CCI primers that had, by then, come back into stock after a long absence.

Now, please, back to the subject of subsonic .308Win..........

tac

Last Edited:
Nae bother, Jimmy.

That's Scottish for not a problem, BTW.

Never been to Dallas OR, us. Next time will be the first time and I'll buy you a beer to show that there's no hard feelins', right?

Two beers if you can identify the logo on my avatar's hat.

Best

tac, stuck here.

I have loaded a variety of subsonic .308 rounds... generally the "best" recipe is a 168SMK with 8gr of Hodgdon Clays (ADI, number escapes me) or a similar loading with 8gr TiteGroup (OBP242) Both of these are listed in the hodgdon data.

I have tried using 170gr .30-30 bullets, however they perform even worse than the SMK's. None of these have done very well stabilizing in my 1:10 savage. Usually I get a beaten pattern at 100 yards of about 4'. For gallery practice (25ft) they are pretty adequate, but using a .30-.40$ bullet is a bit much for that. Usually I cast up a 115gr .32-20 RNFP that's sized to .308 with 6gr of Clays.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top