Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anybody reload sub-sonic .308Win

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by tac, Oct 8, 2014.

1. tac

tac UK, Oregon and Ontario. Well-Known Member

with the usual 155-168gr bullets?

Details required, please, although not for me.

PM's accepted if you prefer to take that route.

TIA

tac

2. JuryRig

JuryRig Eburg, WA New Member

I have used TrailBoss and various bullets, mostly on the 220 gr range. Never able to get consistent results, always one out of four or five shots would be 150-200 fps slower and four to six inches lower at 100 yards. Maybe if I used new brass, I could get get better results. Instead I went to 300 Blackout.

3. tac

Thanks, JuryRig - that's about the same results we are currently getting with 168gr SMKs right now - averaging around 1050-ish fps.

tac

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  4. Dallas Ken

Dallas Ken Dallas Or. Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Anyone had any problems with the newer Winchester primers. Went shooting today 7mm Mag and had four primers blow a pinhole in the top edge of the primer, cut around the top of the primer pocket and actually made a small crater in the bolt face. The other rounds I shot were using older Winchester primers and no problems.
    Gold colored were the problem...silver colored no problems. Same powder loads, did the same on two different bullet types....but then again the silver primers showed no problems.
    I found a couple articles describing the same problems with Winchester primers.

What the heck?

5. tac

Hmmm, I'm trying desperately hard here to see the connection between my question and your post, but I guess that the distance between us has fudged the issue somewhat.

However, in an attempt to answer YOUR query, I can tell you that the last lot of 1000 Winchester large rifle primers I bought here in UK [gold, like yours] went back to the dealership after the first four reloads using them had been fired. Two were sloooooooooooow and the next two were converted to powder on firing. I stopped at that point, carefully dismantled the fother forty-eight rounds I'd made up, and went back to the CCI primers that had, by then, come back into stock after a long absence.

Now, please, back to the subject of subsonic .308Win..........

tac

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  6. Dallas Ken

Sorry about the post tac. I meant to start a new thread.
    Ken

7. tac

Nae bother, Jimmy.

That's Scottish for not a problem, BTW.

Never been to Dallas OR, us. Next time will be the first time and I'll buy you a beer to show that there's no hard feelins', right?

Two beers if you can identify the logo on my avatar's hat.

Best

tac, stuck here.

8. Dallas Ken

Have a Scottish friend....uses the term "Jimmy" quite often. Hat is a wee bit on the small side to make out.

Have great day.....Ken

9. tac

My second beer is safe then...... ;=/

Take care.

tac

10. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

I have loaded a variety of subsonic .308 rounds... generally the "best" recipe is a 168SMK with 8gr of Hodgdon Clays (ADI, number escapes me) or a similar loading with 8gr TiteGroup (OBP242) Both of these are listed in the hodgdon data.

I have tried using 170gr .30-30 bullets, however they perform even worse than the SMK's. None of these have done very well stabilizing in my 1:10 savage. Usually I get a beaten pattern at 100 yards of about 4'. For gallery practice (25ft) they are pretty adequate, but using a .30-.40$ bullet is a bit much for that. Usually I cast up a 115gr .32-20 RNFP that's sized to .308 with 6gr of Clays.

11. tac

Thank you, Gentlemen for your responses. My quest is now ended.

tac