JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have most the common calibers in handguns and even a few not as common, but farily mainstream calibers. I've recently started researching wildcat calibers and other odd ball loads. I think some are great, and others started out with good intentions, but fell short on delivery. I now own 5.7x28, .357 sig, and 10mm (I love the 10mm). I am planning on buying a 22 TCM when I can get one in anything but rock river, and am very interested in the 40 super. I'm curious as to what else is out there. I want everyone to tell me what is their favorite and why. Why are some dinosaur obsolete poor performers still so poplular (like the 45 ACP). Help me pick my next oddball.

I had a 6.5 Gibbs that was a fast flat shooting rifle i miss it.
I have the 5.7x28 also but its getting more popular now. Thats another great round.
Are u looking for more of a pistol or rifle cartridge?

I also really like the 300 AAC Blackout round. I recently sampled an AR-15 with a 300 AAC upper complete with supressor. I was more than impressed. Soooo Quiet! I also was impressed with the 50 Beowulf. I'm just a little more into handguns than rilfles....or shotguns. Don't want to leave out the 10, 16, and 28 guage advocates.

I like mouse guns in.25acp. Not for any practical use, but for mere existence value. I also have a rifle in .257 Roberts Ackley Improved. Obsolte and odd are entertaining. I have enough guns that are practical tools. Some are there just to be toys...

I like mouse guns in.25acp. Not for any practical use, but for mere existence value. I also have a rifle in .257 Roberts Ackley Improved. Obsolte and odd are entertaining. I have enough guns that are practical tools. Some are there just to be toys...

I don't have a practical use for most of mine either. I just like to shoot them and they hold value like a classic car.

I don't really consider it an odd caliber, but, I love the Japanese Type 38 in 6.5x50. It is a good diameter/weight combination, carries good velocity, and has minimal recoil. The Japanese decided it wasn't good enough for a war cartridge and moved up to 7.7(?), but I figure a 6.5mm, 140 grain bullet doing about 2500 to be a good performer. The only thing is pre-made rounds are expensive, actual reloading dies seem to be more difficult to find/expensive, and most later model chambers are large, so you don't really want to swap brass between guns/limited brass life, and the rifle is long 31(?) inch barrel... Love to shoot it though!

Last Edited:
With all that how can it not be an odd caliber. Okay...maybe not odd....i will call it less than mainstream. These kind of replies is what I wanted to hear about. I want to know about the calibers wal mart does not stock on their shelves.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top