Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anybody know of a good Muzzle??

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sbryson21, Mar 16, 2010.

1. sbryson21

sbryson21 Nampa, ID Member

Ok, so I've got a 1 year old pitbull who is an awesome, obediant dog.... other than chewing... Pretty much everyday when I come home from work I'm wondering what destruction will there be today. Basically to make a long story short the only solution that is available to me in my current situation is to get him a muzzle while me and my wife aren't home. We had bought one from the local PetCo that worked for a couple months but eventually he figured out how to pull it off and then of course chew it up :banghead:. So does anybody know of a good muzzle that a dog can't pull off his head? The one at PetCo is the type that just has one strap that goes under their ears but I've seen some that also have a strap that goes up in between their eyes/ears as well. Is that a good system? Thanks for any and all responses!

2. RangerEric

RangerEric Southern Oregon, United States Active Member

Is it an option to just crate him up during the day? That's what I ended up having to do with my 1 year old lab/shepard mix, found a metal mesh crate for like $70.

3. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

How about training your dog instead of relying on a muzzle?

4. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Crate train and use a remote electric shock collar to train the critter not to chew, etc.. been using these methods for 24 years now with Rottweilers

I would never leave a dog out of their crate while I was gone unless it's a well-trained guard dog

5. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

Crate training is the way to go. If you put a muzzle on the dog it will spend all day long trying to get it off. Stick the dog in the crate when you are gone and give it tons of attention when you get home. Your dog will learn to wait for you to come home, antisipating your attention. In time your dog should become much less destructive and maybe even able to be trusted home alone.

6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

And if anyone thinks crate training is cruel, just think of how wild dogs live.. in small dens they dig out

Be sure the crate is tall enough so the adult dog can stand with their head up, comfortably, and wide enough to turn around easily. Allow them to drain the fluids before you leave them for the day, and leave them a small/suitable amount of water, especially if it's going to be warm

7. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

It's only cruel if you leave them in for an excess ammount of time.

Sometimes my dog will go in her crate just because she's tired, or feels scared by something. (She doesn't like going to the vet or going outside. )