JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I spotted a nifty looking Colt 357 at a pawn shop. Seems like a nice gun. I've never owned or shot a Colt. I'm thinking of going to get it in the morning, but I want to make sure I'm not getting some sort of boat anchor or pissing ready to much. The one I saw locked up tight, had pachmeyer grips on it, some holster wear to the bluing on the sides of the front of the barrel, not much turn line, 4"barrel. Oddly they had a nickel trooper also but it did not lock up tight. What range is the value on these currently? Are they on the bubble other Colts seem to be enjoying? Is that bubble likely to pop? Is it a pretty solid gun that if fired but not abused will maintain or increase in value? Is it something I shouldn't fire for fear of breaking some irreplaceable part? Any other info I should know? I'm posting a picture but it's just a pic from the internet to give the right idea/id.

img_1625.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Here's a bit of info about it on the Colt Fever web site.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ohDIzdFdp7S3HTXww&sig2=0EWNqCBgkFGHfAOGw1YHdw

"The 357 outwardly had a close resemblance to the new Trooper models, since they used the same frame size and action. The new 357 and Trooper were virtually indistinguishable without a close inspection.

While the Trooper was to be a lower cost model, the new 357 was to be Colt's premium model holster revolver with a more carefully fitted and tuned action and a better external finish.

The idea was that law enforcement and civilian buyers wanting a less expensive adjustable sight revolver would buy the Trooper, buyers wanting the .357 Magnum cartridge or wanting a higher quality gun would buy the 357.

Things got confused in 1955 when Colt introduced the "Super Premium" Colt Python. Buyers wanting a cheaper gun continued to buy the Trooper, but those wanting a better gun were buying the new Python. This left the 357 as odd man out, and in 1961 Colt discontinued the 357 model after about 15,000 had been produced."

Truly no expertise on Colt revolvers here, but given the insane prices of "snake Guns," at that price, if I liked it I'd buy it! :)

Last Edited:
I collect Colt's and since they only made around 15,000 or so, and, they were made a grade above the Trooper, my opinion is that it's like buying a Diamondback for half of what those go for.
Plus, it's a .357 Magnum caliber, which Diamondbacks didn't come in.
The only drawback that I see is the exposed ejector rod, you just have to be a little more careful with them when holstering.
Numrich Gun Parts sells a grip adapter for under $9.00 and I find that it helps with the wood grips, but if yours has the rubber presentation ones, then you shouldn't have any issues.
Colt designed their cylinders to rotate towards the frame (unlike S&W) which keeps the cylinder locked up tighter.
I don't think you could go wrong with this Colt, just look it over real carefully.

Sounds like a great deal to me. A more than fair price on a collectable and shoot-able Colt.

There are some resources online to check the timing of a revolver prior to purchasing, I'd read up and check each cylinder's timing slowly and deliberately prior to purchase. Working on revolver timing is an old-school gunsmith skill and doesn't come cheap.

Also some recommend using snap caps when dry firing Colts--again more discussion available online. Like everything, you get what you pay for when heeding online advice. That said I use snap caps dry firing my Colt's just because, well, it can't hurt.

Good luck and keep us informed of your choice. Pictures please!!

Well I got them down to $650otd. Here are the required pictures. Tell me how you think I did? Revolvers in the car but I'm pretty certain the S/N started with 28,xxx. There is little evidence it's been fired much in it's 55+ years.

Bryan

20161022_141344.jpg 20161022_141249.jpg 20161022_141321.jpg 20161022_124447.jpg 20161022_124457.jpg 20161022_124433.jpg

Those grips look comfy and the screw heads haven't been mucked up, so I think that after you clean the old oil out of the cylinders and barrel, it will be a nice shooter.
I'll take a look at my box of old grips and see if I have any wood ones that fit an "I" frame Colt.

I had a Colt Trooper MK-III that never did work properly. It had a real heavy double action pull, and when I had the springs replaced with after market springs it had a problem with a light hammer hit.
The one pictured is not a Trooper of any description. It is a regular Colt 357. Probably pre 1970. You may get a real nice revolver. I hope you do. If you do, don't mess with the springs.

Nice model, nice price. Don't screw it up by letting ANYBODY muck about inside the action unless they really are qualified Colt smith.

It is a bit more of a collector item because you just don't run across many of these models in shooter's hands the last 20 years.

When I got into LE, I couldn't afford the S&W-19,
so I bought a Colt trooper which looks almost identical to this Colt 357.
I carried it for many years and never had a problem with it and I regularly shot 98/100 on the PPC qualification course we shot back then. My main complaint about the Trooper was weight, other than that, nothing, it was just a reliable plain Jane revolver that I never really fell in love with.
Just personal preference.
Good luck with your new toy!
Enjoy,
Gabby

I took it out to a range and shot some paper today. I brought a couple Ruger 357 also. I shot about equally well with all three. The sight picture on the Colt seems a bit better somehow. I shot at 10Y and out to 25Y. I'd feel pretty good about taking a shot at least that far. Someday I'd like to go deer hunting with a handgun, I think this one would do well but maybe one of the stainless Rugers would be better suited.

Does anybody have a link to some good looking/feeling wood grips for it that won't break the bank? How about a nice leather holster that won't rub any more of the bluing off?

Thanks,
Bryan

In the right hands, it should take a deer out to 100 yards, with a heavy hunting load.
As for grips I would have to look, but I think you will find the Pachmeyer grips you have on it will grow on you.
They give great control and soak up some recoile when shooting full house ammo, they just aren't as pretty as wood.
I'll take a look around and see what I can come up with.
Gabby

First look,
http://www.ebay.tv/sch/i.html?_sop=12&_nkw=colt+trooper+mk+iii+grips&_frs=1

Second look, sounds good and looks good.
Herretts Colt Grips

Third and last look,

this guy has grips and holsters available for reasonable prices,
Original Grips & Holsters, Frequent Daily Additions,come and visit, buy me a beer

If you aren't happy with the holsters here look up El Paso Saddlery, one of the best holster makers for over 100 years John Wayne among other notables have bought their leather, not the cheapest for sure but not the most expensive either. Other makers are Bianchi (say Be yong kee) and De Santis and If you want to go crazy there are tons of more expensive makers just itching to take your money all you have to do is search. A lined holster (not with suede it traps dirt and grit) is a good idea if your gun has a particularly fine finish.
Good luck,
Gabby
Vote NO on Measure 97, y'all, they are fixing to stick it to us again!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top