JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last I heard they were trying to get it submitted sometime last week, so they could try and push it thru for a final vote by Feb 14th.
Who knows what's going on in the background. I am hoping (like during IP43) a lot of politicians don't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole since it would pretty much break any chance they have of passing any other gun-control legislation (my opinion), and there may not be enough support for it even in Blue Salem.

Last I heard they were trying to get it submitted sometime last week, so they could try and push it thru for a final vote by Feb 14th.
Who knows what's going on in the background. I am hoping (like during IP43) a lot of politicians don't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole since it would pretty much break any chance they have of passing any other gun-control legislation (my opinion), and there may not be enough support for it even in Blue Salem.
Can you share the source of that info? Do you know if they have found a sponsor?

Can you share the source of that info? Do you know if they have found a sponsor?

The February date and timeline to get it out is from one of the chief supporters (Pastor Knutson) that he said during their rally a week or so back, as well as a radio broadcast on KBOO.

As for finding a sponsor, that is just my opinion. I know last time a ban was proposed, about 12 reps jumped on it having not even read it. Many said afterwards they didn't agree with contents of it (like random police inspections in peoples homes), but it was "on the right track". It never left the committee, or even got a hearing (back in 2013). It is also the last rally I remember having well over 2,000 people attend as a result. And I believe I have heard some dem senators say things like they won't support a mag limit. Not to mention even some gun-control supporters in Salem think Ceasefire is just plain nuts (the 'lobby' arm of LEVO). Combine that with how much resistance dems have had trying to pass less restrictive and onerous bills, there may just not be an appetite to bite off so much in one session. Again, my opinion based on tidbits here and there over the last few months and years.

The February date and timeline to get it out is from one of the chief supporters (Pastor Knutson) that he said during their rally a week or so back, as well as a radio broadcast on KBOO.

As for finding a sponsor, that is just my opinion. I know last time a ban was proposed, about 12 reps jumped on it having not even read it. Many said afterwards they didn't agree with contents of it (like random police inspections in peoples homes), but it was "on the right track". It never left the committee, or even got a hearing (back in 2013). It is also the last rally I remember having well over 2,000 people attend as a result. And I believe I have heard some dem senators say things like they won't support a mag limit. Not to mention even some gun-control supporters in Salem think Ceasefire is just plain nuts (the 'lobby' arm of LEVO). Combine that with how much resistance dems have had trying to pass less restrictive and onerous bills, there may just not be an appetite to bite off so much in one session. Again, my opinion based on tidbits here and there over the last few months and years.

Interesting, thanks for the info. If it is going to get sponsored I would like to see Rep Bynum and Rep Williams sponsor it. They both had tight elections and maybe this would cause them to loose in next election.

Politicians respond to letters and phone calls. Lots of them. TV cameras show pious preachers. Office administrators count the calls and emails and tell the politician, "150 for, 750 against, make an excuse to vote NO".

When you write to or call the politicians, understand that they hear lots of people telling them that crime will drop if guns go away. Politiicans DO NOT KNOW that the street cops believe overwhelmingly that more gun restrictions will not cut crime. They listen to other politicians. You can quote statistics all day long. But when you refer them to STREET COPS who all say those laws don't help, now there is some credibility. Please review this material, reproduce in your own words and flood their inboxes and phone lines.

MYTH: Police want stricter gun laws
TRUTH: Police chiefs, mostly political appointees may echo their politicians. Police on the street overwhelmingly support gun rights for citizens without police records. These are links to recent survey information of street police and their opinions on gun laws.

https://www.quora.com/What-do-polic...ement-professionals-think-of-gun-control-laws

What do police officers think about gun control: National survey by PoliceOne tells all (Joe's Outdoor Office)

Police Gun Control Survey: Are legally-armed citizens the best solution to gun violence?

I asked Kevin at OFF if he had heard any news on the LEVO bills and he indicated he has been checking everyday and hasn't heard anything. To paraphrase he said that the last day to request drafts was Jan 18th and that unless somebody uses a priority bill that he didn't think we'll see anything new. I emailed LEVO directly to ask for an update on their bills and have not heard anything back from them. They might recognize my name from previous emails that were critical of their agenda so I may be on their do not reply to list:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top