JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not trying to be funny, but the best way to cure this problem is to put an original 10-round magazine back in place and use strippers. Its a much faster and reliable reload method for this type of rifle.

Keith

My suggestion, and like trainsktg, not trying to be funny, is to buy an AK. The sks (other than the M(?) model designed to take AK mags) was designed to be run with a fixed mag and stripper clips.

I have some with tapco and some with original 10 round, all I can say if you keep the tapco is practice pradtice practice.

The ones with the tapco mags I find myself leaving them in and using strippers. I did find the extended release helped in speeding up mag changes.

There is a way... but you have to modify the bolt. Do some research on it, make your own decision. The short answer is you are modifying the bolt to look like the "M" model bolt. If you have a gunsmith do it, it will cost you around $50.

If you go to this website -- Survivors SKS Boards -- and do a search for "drop free bolt mod", there are some decent instructions and pictures showing how to do it, as well as plenty of discussion about it.

I didn't invent it, and I'm not personally recommending it, but that is one answer to your question.

I would also go back to the 10rd stripper clips. The removable mags tend to fall out if you're actually using the rifle for something other than posing on a bench

do the "drop free bolt mod" and you will be happy and ignore the elitist's that dont want you to touch your SKS there is some sks wierd cult crap that the head dude has an opinion and the lemmings follow

not only are the replaceable mags great when custom fit but the drum they all swear wont fit and is absolute junk is the best mag there is AGAIN IF YOU KNOW HOW TO CUSTOM FIT A MAG
the drum is a single stack and will feed 700 rnds per min ...if you could change drums fast enough

sorry I dont fit in the SKS box boys....and pretty much anything can be improved

Forgot to mention I made some "How To" videos on custom fitting the mags and drums...keep in mind there is no one size fits all after market HI Cap mags, with a gun thats been made in multiple armories & countries

pm me if you need a video

I also prefer the after market mags. I have 2 sks's and removed both of the stock 10 rnd mags. You can still use the stripper clips with the detachable mags. They are a bit of a pain to put in at first but with any thing it takes practice to swap mags with any finesse.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top