JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anybody have any experience with any of the Mossberg 940 Pro semiautomatic shotguns? If so mention which one you have and tell me about it. Pretty please with a cherry on top?

I'm interested in a tactical for home defense and also something for deer hunting in areas where only shotguns are allowed or safe because of residential areas nearby. Would prefer if possible to get a tactical that's also good for deer hunting and as a general SHTF gun. I'm particularly interested in reliability. I'm attracted in part by adjustable length of pull and drop, as I will likely need to order the gun without ever having a chance to see or handle it. The fact that its adjustible for both lop and drop suggests that i should be able to make it fit me. But I'm also attracted to the fact that it is outfitted to take Mossberg's accuchoke series of chokes. Most tactical shotguns seem to have no ability to change chokes, thus are pretty limited for general purpose hunting or pest controll. I'm new to shotguns. And vision is not what it was once. The short barrel may be no disadvantage for me in hunting, as I may be able to see the high-vis front bead on the short barrel better than on a longer barrel. However, if I can't see the bead well enough, the gun is also drilled and tapped for a red dot optic .

Have had mine for 800+ rounds, not a single malfunction (so far), no cleaning and love it. I've fed it everything from oversees low brass to American made tactical rounds and so far so good. Not using the factory sights, tho the front does cowitness with the holosun red dot nicely…would recommend the red dot as the first upgrade, then a weapon mounted light (I used the Surefire scout mini w/ arisaka mount..) and a saddle! Good luck and def worth the buy!

Have had mine for 800+ rounds, not a single malfunction (so far), no cleaning and love it. I've fed it everything from oversees low brass to American made tactical rounds and so far so good. Not using the factory sights, tho the front does cowitness with the holosun red dot nicely…would recommend the red dot as the first upgrade, then a weapon mounted light (I used the Surefire scout mini w/ arisaka mount..) and a saddle! Good luck and def worth the buy!
Yours is the 940 Pro Tactical?

Don't own one, but I put a metric buttload of various rounds through a Mfg. sample when they were first introduced. I don't recall any failures. It patterned well, was very smooth and easy to handle. They are pretty popular in 3-gun circles for these reasons.

If I didn't have a Beretta 1301, I would have the Mossy.

Yes, it is, newer model with optic milled into the receiver. Would likely be the very last gun I sell… love it very much.
So I just picked up a 940 pro tac today. I need a sanity check. How many shells does yours hold? The box says 8 shot on the side, mossberg's website says 7+1 and mine only holds 6+1. My smallest shells are nominally 2 3/4 but actual length are 2 1/4 and only 6 will go in. So im wondering if I have issues with my tube or mossberg just says 7+1 for the worlds smallest shells.

So I just picked up a 940 pro tac today. I need a sanity check. How many shells does yours hold? The box says 8 shot on the side, mossberg's website says 7+1 and mine only holds 6+1. My smallest shells are nominally 2 3/4 but actual length are 2 1/4 and only 6 will go in. So im wondering if I have issues with my tube or mossberg just says 7+1 for the worlds smallest shells.
Confirmed, mine holds 6 + 1 too…

Confirmed, mine holds 6 + 1 too…
excellent thank you. I'm not crazy. Well capacity aside here is my unboxing review.

Well I haven't shot it yet but I can give you my first impressions. Its relatively light and feels very pointable so it handles well. I took the whole thing apart thinking there was a limiting dowl in the tube (there wasn't) and I was surprised how simple the whole mechanism is. To me simple can be reliable. But there was a fair amount of plastic in the push rod assembly and hand guard retainer. That does look like a potential point of failure but I doubt it will be an issue, but under insane extreme situations that's where its likely to fail. I did find a place that sells aluminum retainers and some other upgrades for the 940, below. I'm not rushing out to buy any of those upgrades until I test it.

So all in all the fit and finish is ok but I've seen nicer. As it stands now, I like it but I don't love it. We will see how a range day goes.

good luck my friend, can't wait to hear of the range report. I have yet to take my down for a cleaning, but was planning on doing so at 1000 rounds.. I'll let you know what I find when I do and we can swap notes?

Ps. I added this choke/brake to mine and love it..mostly for the looks 🤩

My 930 holds 7 +1 + 1 (that's nine total) 2-3/4" shells (ghost loaded)…. HA HA!!

82D95495-6E86-4A71-A516-096502A3BBE7.jpeg

I have the 940 JM Pro 9+1 and works well. No issues so far...Although i dont like the "Yellow" color parts. I wish i could get them in Black from a 940 Pro Tactical.

930 JM Pro owner
No complains. Keep clean and only real failure I've had was when I accidentally, no clue how loaded a shell backwards.

20" version. It's probably a better shot than I am.

Shotgun Shells are measured when the shell is unfolded, so a folded crimp is actually shorter than a rolled-crimped shell. This comes into play when you load rolled crimp shells into a firearm. You may find that a shotgun that is rated for seven shells can only load six rolled-crimp shells because they are slightly longer.

I got the 940 field version. I want to shoot trap with it but I can't find anything to catch the shell from ejecting out so it doesn't hit the guy next to me. Anyone got anything that works

I have the 940 JM Pro 9+1 and works well. No issues so far...Although i dont like the "Yellow" color parts. I wish i could get them in Black from a 940 Pro Tactical.
Maybe just use a magic marker on the yellow parts? If you don't like you can remove with rubbing akcohol. The magic marker will wear of from finger pressure so you would need to touch up occasionally.

I think the OP has a good idea of the versatility the gun offers for set up and shooting. It used to come with the chokes but now you buy them separately. It's lightweight and the gas gun has some recoil. But that's mitigated with learned technique.

940 Tac here. Like the gun. Lightweight. Handles nice. Eats everything. Home load or store bought, old stuff I had laying around or 00 or slugs. It's never not gone bang. I might get around to putting a red dot on it but I've always shot a bead. Comes with a fiber front sight. I'd be just as happy with a freakishly large lit bead up front.

Getting that spring back in the after cleaning is a PITA.

Never owned Benelli or Beretta so I can't compare.
Been happy with my Mossie 590a1 and this 940 Pro Tac.
Mossberg is the oldest family owned arms manufacturer in the US.

FWIW I got on the notification list with Kygunco.
IIRC it landed in Eugene for something like $912 including shipping insurance.

Last Edited:
Thanks for your reassurance on the 940s. I just ordered a 940 PRO Tactical with a mounted Holosun red dot via Gunbroker for $1,039. $1,079.99 for everything including shipping. I waited a bit so I could get the version with the mounted red dot.

Where do you get your shotgun ammo?

Any suggestions about a good light to put on the 940 PRO Tactical? It includes a barrel clamp with M-LOK mounting slots. Would be nice if flash could be controlled from the shooters end of the gun. If you have to turn it on with hand on flash itself it gives away position and spoils night vision.

As for ammo, you can order it off of Gunbroker, too. Gotta watch for deals, but they're out there. I ordered a 250 case of RIO 00 buck when I got my Benelli M2 Field and they've worked in a most excellent manner.

My 930 holds 7 +1 + 1 (that's nine total) 2-3/4" shells (ghost loaded)…. HA HA!!

View attachment 1309167
Any issues with yours? I have around 250 shells through it, and dealing with random failures to feed. Cleaned and lubed per JM's instructional video after each session and still having issues. Slugs, buck, magnums, target: no difference. Looking into some stuff from or3gun, but figured I'd ask someone else with experience on the platform before I throw another $200 at it.

Wondering if I should have held out to find a 940 in stock.

Any issues with yours? I have around 250 shells through it, and dealing with random failures to feed. Cleaned and lubed per JM's instructional video after each session and still having issues. Slugs, buck, magnums, target: no difference. Looking into some stuff from or3gun, but figured I'd ask someone else with experience on the platform before I throw another $200 at it.

Wondering if I should have held out to find a 940 in stock.
I have run several hundred rounds of 2-3/4" high-base (00 and slugs) and low-base rounds (cheap trap and dove loads) through my 930 and have never had a single malfunction.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top