JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just like the title says, I'd really like to test ride one. I've always thought the naked ones were super cool looking. I'd love to get a cheap restoration project, which probably means it won't be running for a test ride. Looking for a ride somewhere in the Willamette Valley area.

LMK,
Bryan

Just like the title says, I'd really like to test ride one. I've always thought the naked ones were super cool looking. I'd love to get a cheap restoration project, which probably means it won't be running for a test ride. Looking for a ride somewhere in the Willamette Valley area.

LMK,
Bryan
Can't help you, sorry. Your post just brought up the memory of myself being the one out of six of us mechanics who got to uncrate and assemble the first Gold Wing we got at Pacer Honda in Murray Utah, sometime in 1975. It was yellow. Sweetest riding and sounding street bike I ever road. 60MPH in 2nd gear, as I recall. The rear of the bike would drop and rise when you shifted gears while gettin' on it.

Can't help you, sorry. Your post just brought up the memory of myself being the one out of six of us mechanics who got to uncrate and assemble the first Gold Wing we got at Pacer Honda in Murray Utah, sometime in 1975. It was yellow. Sweetest riding and sounding street bike I ever road. 60MPH in 2nd gear, as I recall. The rear of the bike would drop and rise when you shifted gears while gettin' on it.
Small world moment, my wife's mother, grandmother, brother, and sister in law all live in Murray, over by the city park.

Something about the boxer engine, kind of low and long bike look, it all makes me want one. I have an 03 Honda CB919 now. I really like it but something about those old wings...

Bryan

Good luck on your hunt! I see there are some Wings in Sheridan for sale and also Salem (I think). I remember my first ride on an early one and man, what a revelation after riding Harleys.

Luckily, I imagine there are a ton of you tube videos showing you how to fix most anything that needs fixing - one of the few benefits of living in our lifetime. Also, no doubt there are owners' groups to help answer any technical questions.

Small world moment, my wife's mother, grandmother, brother, and sister in law all live in Murray, over by the city park.

Something about the boxer engine, kind of low and long bike look, it all makes me want one. I have an 03 Honda CB919 now. I really like it but something about those old wings...

Bryan
Murray Park was a great park. Had an aunt that lived on Vine street right across the road pretty much from the park. Always a huge 4th of July celebration/parade at the park and parade went right down Vine St. Good Mormon family meant lots of people/kids on those holidays. Born and raised in Midvale, just a few miles South of Murray. Came to Portland in '83.

Even though that Gold Wing was a monster for the time, it was fairly nimble. That Valkyrie seemed ridiculous to me. But then the trails were my preferred riding areas. Road were too dangerous. Any motorcycle that needs reverse is just way to damned big, IMO.

Even though that Gold Wing was a monster for the time, it was fairly nimble. That Valkyrie seemed ridiculous to me. But then the trails were my preferred riding areas. Road were too dangerous. Any motorcycle that needs reverse is just way to damned big, IMO.

The Valkyrie was and still is a great bike. Never ridden one just heard stories. I have ridden the Triumph Rocket. That thing scared me a bit, more than any sport bike I've done dumb stuff on.
I had a friend that dragging the pegs on his gold wing was a regular occurrence.
Very nimble and agile bikes in the right hands.
The newer F6B is pretty sharp in my opinion.

I doubt you'll get any offers.
Your best bet is find one for sale.
If you scratch it, you'll have to buy it at asking price with the cash money you brought so don't scratch it.

Good luck with your search. The Goldwing is a great bike.

Came close to buying a new 1100 once. Got to take one for a test ride and decided before I got it back to the dealership that I was going to own a Goldwing one day. Couldn't quite make the payments back then. Finally managed to get a GL1800A in 2003 and I've loved every one of the 90,000+ miles I've put on it!

I need to get it cleaned up and ready to ride... and then sell it.

Age and health are telling me, "It's time."

Good luck with your search. The Goldwing is a great bike.

Came close to buying a new 1100 once. Got to take one for a test ride and decided before I got it back to the dealership that I was going to own a Goldwing one day. Couldn't quite make the payments back then. Finally managed to get a GL1800A in 2003 and I've loved every one of the 90,000+ miles I've put on it!

I need to get it cleaned up and ready to ride... and then sell it.

Age and health are telling me, "It's time."

I looked up GL1800. That with all the fairing and windshield, side bags.....When in the biz I never felt comfortable on the bikes with all that stuff hanging on them. Always had to test ride after a service though. Being I was a dirt/trail rider from a young age I needed to have the freedom to lay it down if need be. That's the quickest way to stop in an emergency!

I had one of the first ones in Portland back in 1975, very nice bike. Traded it in for a brand new 1977 Harley low rider.

Jack

Being in the biz back then Harleys and 2-strokes were poo-pooed. "Hardley Neversons" "You only need to worry when they STOP leaking oil". And "Ringy-Ding...Ding... Ding Dingy's" LOL. They've all come a long ways since then. One thing I never got a chance to play on/with were BSA's and Triumphs. But damn, I still think those are some of the neatest bikes. I drooled over the Trident back then. I do recall the Honda Shop getting one to work on and only one of the "Wrenches" there had a set of "Whitworth" tools.

I looked up GL1800. That with all the fairing and windshield, side bags.....When in the biz I never felt comfortable on the bikes with all that stuff hanging on them. Always had to test ride after a service though. Being I was a dirt/trail rider from a young age I needed to have the freedom to lay it down if need be. That's the quickest way to stop in an emergency!
I always thought using the brakes was the quickest way to stop in an emergency and laying it down was the same as having an accident. ;):D

Many differences between the 'Wing and a dirt/trail bike, which I've never had a chance to ride. I never felt uncomfortable on the GW unless I was alone in heavy traffic - Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia = Nightmare, even on a big, highly-visible bike. Felt safer when riding in a group, but you still need to watch out for idiots and road-rage. Not many of those on the trails, I hope! I'd love to ride a dirt bike, but I'm too damn old now. :( Maybe another quad someday.

Being I was a dirt/trail rider from a young age I needed to have the freedom to lay it down if need be. That's the quickest way to stop in an emergency!

Sorry to muck up the whole thread.
I gotta say that i was taught completely different on how to stop in an emergency. I have always been told and taught that keeping the bike under control even in an emergency braking situation is the safest way to do so. Bad things happen when a bike is sliding down the road. No control over the direction it travels, including over cliff sides, into medians, into oncoming traffic, etc etc. No control over what catches and suddenly high sides the bike into multiple flips with rider entangled in the bike, potentially causing more damage to rider. I was taught that if your only way out is to "lay a bike down" you aint got your head on a swivel. Your planning for an emergency was not part of your situational awareness.
I have dodged horses, deer, and other vehicles. I have also done numerous stupid things on bikes. I always had an "out".
I lost one friend to a deer strike. OSP stated that he did everything right including a review from a moto officer. They stated that he kept the bike upright and rode "through" the animal, not a single sign of locking up the brakes to only lose control. It was the impact of landing against the rock wall that killed him. Responding officers said they would have ridden the exact same way.

I apologize for the unrelated information.
I hope you find a GW to take for a test ride. If I could help, i would. I do own a VTX 1800 if you want to test ride that.
Keep the rubber side down and enjoy the miles of smiles.

Sorry to muck up the whole thread.
I gotta say that i was taught completely different on how to stop in an emergency. I have always been told and taught that keeping the bike under control even in an emergency braking situation is the safest way to do so. Bad things happen when a bike is sliding down the road. No control over the direction it travels, including over cliff sides, into medians, into oncoming traffic, etc etc. No control over what catches and suddenly high sides the bike into multiple flips with rider entangled in the bike, potentially causing more damage to rider. I was taught that if your only way out is to "lay a bike down" you aint got your head on a swivel. Your planning for an emergency was not part of your situational awareness.
I have dodged horses, deer, and other vehicles. I have also done numerous stupid things on bikes. I always had an "out".
I lost one friend to a deer strike. OSP stated that he did everything right including a review from a moto officer. They stated that he kept the bike upright and rode "through" the animal, not a single sign of locking up the brakes to only lose control. It was the impact of landing against the rock wall that killed him. Responding officers said they would have ridden the exact same way.

I apologize for the unrelated information.
I hope you find a GW to take for a test ride. If I could help, i would. I do own a VTX 1800 if you want to test ride that.
Keep the rubber side down and enjoy the miles of smiles.
Yeabut when you stupidly crash because of raked front geometry and no front brake by design, you pretty much have to say you laid it down on purpose.
Get a BMW K bike. Wings are for butterflies, not men.

Yeabut when you stupidly crash because of raked front geometry and no front brake by design, you pretty much have to say you laid it down on purpose.

Ride what you wish and reassure yourself with that decision with whatever justification you want. That is the great thing about freedom. You do whats best for you and i will do whats best for me.

BMW's are for people who don't like riding... unless it's in a tow truck.

Screenshot_20210511-182918_Opera.jpg

Lol... worse rated than an Italian brand, they really have to be trying to get that bad.

-Robert

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads