JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a .44 Mag Bounty Hunter with a strange problem.

When I pull the hammer back to full cock, sometimes the sear catches it and sometimes not. If I am careful it usually catches.

I thought the sear notch would be screwed up somehow, but I finally took it apart and that looks fine. What I think is happening is that a bump on the hammer farther down is bumping the sear out of the sear notch. I could file it down but I wondered first if anyone else had encountered this and how they fixed it, if they did.

You should name it, "Dog" (the bounty hunter) :D

IMG_3651.JPG

Last Edited:
I found that it's not being bumped out of the notch, but instead, (with the grip on) I can't pull the hammer back enough to catch the sear notch unless I am forceful. So I have to investigate some more with that.

I'm starting to remember why I just left this gun in my gun safe. Besides the above problem, the trigger has a weird angle to it. Maybe that is standard with SAA Colts, I don't know (this is supposed to be a clone).

The hammer spring curves around the rear curve of the front strap as you cock the hammer. Toward the end of the cocking motion it is basically lying on the front strap and the only part that has room to bend further is the tip of the spring, and this is where the resistance is. It looked like I needed to file down that portion of the front strap to give the spring more room to curve around at that point, which I did. I think I made it work easier and may go back and file a little more. Anyway as it is now I just have to pull the hammer back with some authority to make sure it catches.

I kinda like the design of the grip on this gun, makes lots of sense. For one thing, no screws to hold grip panels on.

I don't want to send a $250 gun through the mail. I think I'm set now.

I'm glad I looked anyway. I was getting some rust in and around the firing pin that needed removal.

This gun I think is the only Bounty Hunter in existence with a Belt Mountain cylinder pin. I asked Kanye to make one for it, and he was able to modify a Ruger pin to do the job.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top