JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I enjoy mine. As a gunsmith/rifle builder, I like it because it has the features I wish a Remington had, such as a better extractor, one-piece bolt, and integral recoil lug. As a shooter, I like it because it's becoming more widespread, so aftermarket support is expanding (triggers, bottom metal, stocks, etc). The sight bases are the same as Remington 700, so that's easy as well. My go-to elk gun is a Howa 1500 that I re-barreled into .300 Wby. Standard tuning (faced front ring, lapped lugs, chased receiver threads, etc), and the gun is a tack driver. Most of the ones I've seen shoot very well straight out of the box.
I wish it said "Made in the USA" on the side instead of Japan, but that's the only negative I have found. I generally prefer it over the other rifles I have owned. I like Rugers and Remingtons, but prefer my Howa.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 06 (which is still made for them) & a 1500 in 22-250. Both are excellent guns. Tack drivers both. theh 06 has bagged me alot of animals. It is now my back up rifle. I got a model 70 with B.O.S.S. a few years back & use it primarily. Howa also made the rifles for S&W, Ithaca & Mossberg (I think on this one) quite a few years ago. I think they are better than Rem's. If I could not find a Winchester, I would take a Howa. They come with 3 position safies, which I dearly love on a rifle, the triggers on both really good out of the box. You cannot go wrong buying one. I do agree with the I wish they said Made in USA.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 06 (which is still made for them) & a 1500 in 22-250. Both are excellent guns. Tack drivers both. theh 06 has bagged me alot of animals. It is now my back up rifle. I got a model 70 with B.O.S.S. a few years back & use it primarily. Howa also made the rifles for S&W, Ithaca & Mossberg (I think on this one) quite a few years ago. I think they are better than Rem's. If I could not find a Winchester, I would take a Howa. They come with 3 position safies, which I dearly love on a rifle, the triggers on both really good out of the box. You cannot go wrong buying one. I do agree with the I wish they said Made in USA.

+1

I own a Howa 1500 in 7mm Rem Mag.....came to me with a trashed stock and rust speckles all over it....had it reblued and it now resides in a Boyd laminated stock, glass bedded and the barrel is floated, with hand loads it shoots far better than me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top