JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Saw an amazing aurora borealis late one night in the spring of 1990 or 1991 (been too long to recall exactly) right outside of Benton City of all places. Was coming back from a very late council meeting after a presentation for a road project I was inspecting for the city. Looked out my driver's side window, and about drove off the interstate. Started flashing my headlights at my co-worker in front of me to get him to pull over. He pulls over and stops, and I get out and walk up to his window and he says, "WTF, sobo? It's late and I wanna get home. What's up?"

Me: "Look to the north..."

Him: "Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..."

All manner of shades of greens and yellows rolling, swirling, and dancing up and down, almost like a chartreuse Guinness Draught right after the draw. We stood there on the side of the highway at midnight and watched it for about 5 minutes or so before it melted away.

I have never seen another one, despite spending three months in Anchorage in spring of 1997 for a project. But I got to see the Comet Hale-Bopp pretty darned clearly while I was there, and got to do some fantastic ice climbing in the Eklutna River canyon and ski mountaineering in the Chugach, and got paid to be there, too!

Saw an amazing aurora borealis late one night in the spring of 1990 or 1991 (been too long to recall exactly) right outside of Benton City of all places. Was coming back from a very late council meeting after a presentation for a road project I was inspecting for the city. Looked out my driver's side window, and about drove off the interstate. Started flashing my headlights at my co-worker in front of me to get him to pull over. He pulls over and stops, and I get out and walk up to his window and he says, "WTF, sobo? It's late and I wanna get home. What's up?"

All manner of shades of greens and yellows rolling, swirling, and dancing up and down, almost like a chartreuse Guinness Draught right after the draw. We stood there on the side of the highway at midnight and watched it for about 5 minutes or so before it melted away.

I have never seen another one, despite spending three months in Anchorage in spring of 1997 for a project. But I got to see the Comet Hale-Bopp pretty darned clearly while I was there, and got to do some fantastic ice climbing in the Eklutna River canyon and ski mountaineering in the Chugach, and got paid to be there, too!
Hale bopp? I'd forgotten about that, my friends dad listened to art belle on the radio, and was convinced a huge alien mother ship was hiding behind the comet (art convinced him of this)

This guy was an old hippie whos brain was a little fried from to much acid anyways, and he would go off on crazy long tirades of what was gonna happen when our new overlords arrived.

Good thing the interwebz wasn't big back then he might have found himself in with heavens gate, wearing a silk robe, and a pair of Nike.

That spot right there between Benton City and Prosser has so little light pollution. I have never seen a comet as big and bright as I did when I saw hale bop from the freeway in that exact spot.

Here is a fairly crappy pic of the comet we had last year. This was from west of Pdx. It was visible to the naked eye but not nearly as bright or large as hale bopp was.

4D7854E0-DD81-4ABC-AEFC-E22AD6A12B51.jpeg

That spot right there between Benton City and Prosser has so little light pollution. I have never seen a comet as big and bright as I did when I saw hale bop from the freeway in that exact spot.

Here is a fairly crappy pic of the comet we had last year. This was from west of Pdx. It was visible to the naked eye but not nearly as bright or large as hale bopp was.

View attachment 1065700
To be precise, the spot where I saw the AB and stopped to watch it was in the opposite direction from Prosser. We stopped along the interstate about halfway between Benton City and the first exit for Richland (where I-182 splits off from I-82). I would place us at Milepost 98 or 99 or so.

Back then, 30 years ago, it was totally desolate and just open fields of nothing but sagebrush and scrub. Today, it's still very low on light pollution, now being almost completely developed into vineyards.

To be precise, the spot where I saw the AB and stopped to watch it was in the opposite direction from Prosser. We stopped along the interstate between Benton City and the first exit for Richland, where I-182 splits off from I-82. Back then, it was totally desolate and just open fields of sagebrush and scrub. Today, it's still very low on light pollution, now being covered by vineyards.
Ah I see. Haven't been that way in a long while. Used to have a great shooting range on rattlesnake mountain (or whatever it's called) and also an old west mock town to do cowboy shooting at along the Yak Riv north of Benton City. I hope both those are still there. Never used the old west thing but admired it from afar while drifting by fishing the river. I love the desert areas over there. Used to love hunting mutant jackrabbits (kidding, kind of) near Hanford.

Ah I see. Haven't been that way in a long while. Used to have a great shooting range on rattlesnake mountain (or whatever it's called) and also an old west mock town to do cowboy shooting at along the Yak Riv north of Benton City. I hope both those are still there. Never used the old west thing but admired it from afar while drifting by fishing the river. I love the desert areas over there. Used to love hunting mutant jackrabbits (kidding, kind of) near Hanford.
That's my range. It's still there, and is billed as one of the best ranges in the state. Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facility.

Cheap, too. $50/year membership fee. I also RSO there, so that opens up a whole 'nother group of shooting areas to me. The cowboy town, the competition pistol bays, the HESA range, and also before- and after-hours shooting. I can go whenever I want, rain or shine, day or night. All active RSOs get issued prox cards, which open all gates and doors...

That's my range. It's still there, and is billed as one of the best ranges in the state. Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facility.

Cheap, too. $50/year membership fee. I also RSO there, so that opens up a whole 'nother group of shooting areas to me. The cowboy town, the competition pistol bays, the HESA range, and also before- and after-hours shooting. I can go whenever I want, rain or shine, day or night. Prox cards issued to active RSOs.
Holy crap that's awesome! I wish I lived closer to there! Makes me think it might be worth a trip next spring when the fishing is good.

Holy crap that's awesome! I wish I lived closer to there! Makes me think it might be worth a trip next spring when the fishing is good.
Fee for non-members, no matter where you come from, is only $10 for the whole day. C'mon up and gitchoosum! :D

Might be a slim chance to see them tonight. Peak predicted to be between 8-11pm Pacific time. But so far only kp index of 5-6. 7 is recommended min for a chance to see in PDX (farther north the odds are better). I almost went out of town to look last night but didn't bother. If index was 7 I would have went.

Kp index currently at 5. Needs to be 7 or above.

37850D63-B8DD-42D8-A9DC-283CC9BCCBD5.png

3 day forecast showing predicted peak of 6 between 8-11pm tonight.

89AB44FB-393A-497B-9220-16987F992F15.png
Map of what kp index needs to be to have a chance to see
CE4552FB-397C-4C74-B044-F0E30EAF2D7D.png

kp index just updated and its still at 5 so it's probably not happening tonight anyway it looks like.
Wildfire smoke is so thick up here, the only thing I could see tonight was the full moon in a nice, burnt orange shade.
The AQI was hovering around 150 for most of the day. My eyes are still burning from being out and about today.
Not gonna be seein' any aurora borealis here tonight... :(

EDIT:
Just noticed the date and realized the AB was s'pozed to be last week...

Oopsie.jpeg

ETA:
Hey, it's been a long week... :s0092:

Last Edited:
Wow k index at 7 right now . That's only the second time I've seen that. Must be that massive sun flare on the pole is finally reaching earth. Too bad it is coming at a time with no clear skies. If you happen to be somewhere with clear skies it may be worth checking the k index tonight.

91FFB7B2-6E46-4821-80ED-E8746EC40161.jpeg

Looks like new sun activity may enable viewing late this week. Just potentially at this point as forecast for k index is only 6. Needs to be 7 or higher to be able to see in most areas of wa and Oregon. Also the forecast can be totally wrong, only reliable measure is short term (ie next 3 hours) k index. So simply heads up at this point on the possibility it may be visible. Checking k index at the time is the only way to know.

FADC1CCD-560C-4B6B-9C0D-6AAA8E4427B2.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top