JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nope, I can't imagine that would be something I'd want to do, EVER...
...it sounds like it would burn something awful and keep you from sitting for a week!

Sorry if that's not what you mean, but I'm not familiar with all the current abbreviations used on twitter, etc...
AR (Anal Region?). I guess we'll have to expect this type of thing though, now that more liberals are buying guns.

Last Edited:
Bore snake? This is better and it wont get stuck.

ACME .22 - .223 .556 Bore Cable - Rifle Bore Cleaning Tool - Replaces Bore Snake | eBay

Steel nylon covered cable with screw on brush. Comes with a plastic guide tip, you just feed through the chamber and out the muzzle. Also come with a wood ball handle if needed. Pulls brush or patch. Does not get dirty like a bore snake as with patches, you discard after use.

Yes a bore snake is a little faster but does get dirty, everything is a trade off. Quick and dirty or a little slower but with replaceable brush and patches.

~

That's just a bronze brush on a cable as opposed to a rod, nothing particularly special, and as you said, it doesn't replace the bore snake, it's just a pull brush instead of a push brush.

That's just a bronze brush on a cable as opposed to a rod, nothing particularly special, and as you said, it doesn't replace the bore snake, it's just a pull brush instead of a push brush.

I never used a push brush, I have always pulled them through, even with a standard cleaning rod. I have tried pushing, did not go well. Maybe I was just not doing it right? hmmm...? What ever works I guess.

~

Bore snake? This is better and it wont get stuck.

ACME .22 - .223 .556 Bore Cable - Rifle Bore Cleaning Tool - Replaces Bore Snake | eBay

Steel nylon covered cable with screw on brush. Comes with a plastic guide tip, you just feed through the chamber and out the muzzle. Also come with a wood ball handle if needed. Pulls brush or patch. Does not get dirty like a bore snake as with patches, you discard after use.

Yes a bore snake is a little faster but does get dirty, everything is a trade off. Quick and dirty or a little slower but with replaceable brush and patches.

~

The bore snake is supposed to get dirty as it functions as a "longer stroke" patch... IMHO they're suitable for field use so you don't have to carry a bunch of loose patches in your kit, but shouldn't be used exclusively when "bench cleaning". ;)

I always use a boresnake of rifles.
I had one get stuck in the barrel of an AR once and it was hell getting it out. Just put a glove on, wrapped the string around my hand and pulled like heck one inch at a time.
I thought somehow I got the 30 cal and .22 mixed up, but brass end wouldn't have gone through.

I'm putting that broomstick idea in my back pocket!
Thanks

I have an Otis cleaning kit and I have small round patches. I forgot one time since I also cleaning the bore of my 12 gauge shotgun and uses the Otis large round patches instead. I did not think about it at first but and the large patch for the AR15 but I got the large patch stuck. I had to buy a rod cleaning kit and soaked the stuck patch with CLP for a few days. It did not take a lot force with the rod cleaning kit to push the large patch out. So I keep my rod based cleaning kit for a backup now. Have not made that mistake again.

I do have an Otis bore snake as well and it is good for clean out the barrel but I don't use any solvents when I use the bore snake.

I always use a boresnake of rifles.
I had one get stuck in the barrel of an AR once and it was hell getting it out. Just put a glove on, wrapped the string around my hand and pulled like heck one inch at a time.
I thought somehow I got the 30 cal and .22 mixed up, but brass end wouldn't have gone through.

I'm putting that broomstick idea in my back pocket!
Thanks
Never used a boresnake nor do I necessarily plan to but that got me thinking.. barrels can get seriously messed up with prolonged use and would then tend to tear and fray a boresnake one would think .. perhaps to the degree that it wouldn't easily pass through the bore any longer.

One thing to remember to do...is wash your boresnake from time to time*
I put mine in a old sock to keep it from getting a tangled up while its getting washed**
Andy
* Yes I know that this post will end up in "that" thread...
** Yeah the same for this one...:eek::p:D
Andy

One thing to remember to do...is wash your boresnake from time to time*
I put mine in a old sock to keep it from getting a tangled up while its getting washed**
Andy
* Yes I know that this post will end up in "that" thread...
** Yeah the same for this one...:eek::p:D
Andy

So you put your bore-snake in the washer? I have a gun cleaning mat that I put in the washer so I will save an old sock and wash the bore-snake when I wash my gun cleaning mat.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top