JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have them for all my pistol calibers, but after some u tube videos I'm leary of the very tight fit on the 223 caliber snake.

I have the Vipers in pistol calibers, they have 3 brushes and work fine but if I got one for my AR it would be the standard single brush snake.
What's your take on it?

I've seen different packaging and fit descriptions for that barrel size.

22 /223
And M16/.225 caliber
WFT?

I've always run the same .22 caliber boresnake through both my .22lr guns and my AR's. Cleaned well enough and never got stuck. Two sizes seems an awful lot like a marketing gimmick to get people to buy two...

Bi mart had the M16 package and they were only 14 bucks. It was the standard single brush type.

But I'm still on the fence on it.

I knew some fellas who used bore snakes on their M16's while in the Army ... never saw any stuck.
Did see many a missed used or oversized patch get stuck.
Sorry but I can't remember the brand or models used.
Andy

Last Edited:
If the bore snake makes you leery, the Otis kit should work for you. Steel wire rope vs paracord.

I've used bore snakes in my ARs for years with no problems - I can see the concern, but then if you do get one stuck, it should come out with a push rod or hard wood dowel down the barrel.

If the bore snake makes you leery, the Otis kit should work for you. Steel wire rope vs paracord.

I've used bore snakes in my ARs for years with no problems - I can see the concern, but then if you do get one stuck, it should come out with a push rod or hard wood dowel down the barrel.

My son inlaw daugther and kids were in town last week for an early thanksgiving (army dictated time off) he is an armorer and said the snake us tight but use them anyway.

Also he said stay away from the Otis ripcord, as he has had them get stuck and break.

Looks like I need to find a snake that was not made on a Monday or a friday.
LOL

Last Edited:
I have used bore snakes of years in the AR and other Semi Auto Battle rifles and the ONE trick is to keep a small length of broom handle in your gear bag to wrap the pull cord end around and pull through the bore! Gives the extra grip needed to pull with out digging in to your hands!

No problems with mine, the Otis units are nice, but i find them looser than the bore snakes.

Most bore snake "double" versions are actually just pistol length versus rifle length.

I have used bore snakes of years in the AR and other Semi Auto Battle rifles and the ONE trick is to keep a small length of broom handle in your gear bag to wrap the pull cord end around and pull through the bore! Gives the extra grip needed to pull with out digging in to your hands!

Winner!
Even tho I had use the 9mm a bunch of times. When I pulled it through my AR carbine it hurt my hand because of the lenght of pull.

I'm putting a piece in my kit after posting this.
Great tip !
Thanks

Winner!
Even tho I had use the 9mm a bunch of times. When I pulled it through my AR carbine it hurt my hand because of the lenght of pull.

I'm putting a piece in my kit after posting this.
Great tip !
Thanks
HA, Glad to help! We had guys in our squad use 20 and 30 mm shell casings to house cleaning supplies like the chamber brush's and such, pretty neat idea, and they were used the same as my handle idea, but over time the solvents would make a real mess!

I have them for all my pistol calibers, but after some u tube videos I'm leary of the very tight fit on the 223 caliber snake.

I have the Vipers in pistol calibers, they have 3 brushes and work fine but if I got one for my AR it would be the standard single brush snake.
What's your take on it?

I've seen different packaging and fit descriptions for that barrel size.

22 /223
And M16/.225 caliber
WFT?
Yes I have, on too many occasions. I just decided to go with a carbon fiber rod for 22's. When you have to stand on the pistol grip and wrap the cord around a screwdriver or something else for added pulling leverage, kind a takes the fun out of cleaning. Not that its much fun to begin with, but does piss a guy off. I have no gripes with Bore Snake as a whole, but messed up too many times for my AR's. Love the Otis, and there is a neat little cleaning kit called the Patchworm that works nice also. Have heard of people having to pour solvent down the barrels to free Bore Snakes that snapped.

I do feel more apprehensive about the really snug fitting snakes for rifles. I went a little overboard by adding some extra sewing where the pull cord meets the main snake cord. I've never had a snake break. I'm still real careful when I use one on a rifle.

Just get the rifle one for 22 caliber.

Pistol has a shorter string. No regrets here. I have both by accident.

I've used a boresnake before but I didn't like how dirty they get, especially with lead ammo. I've settled on carbon fiber cleaning rods. Hard to get one stuck and if you do you can hammer it free.

The first time I used a boresnake, it was very snug and did hurt my hand when pulling through. I was using CLP with it. I fixed the hand issue by wrapping the end in a dowel rod and pulling it through. No issues since.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top