JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been sick this last week (yes that is my forgetful excuse:eek:). My wife and I took the kids to Freddy Meyer's tonight. It wasn't until I got home that I realized I put on a different pair of pants and didn't have my wallet with me. Just curious, has anybody else done this too? Every run into problems?

Erik

I never leave home without my wallet, keys, or cell phone. That way I always have my certificates on hand. I got into that habit because of my flying, and I don't want to get ramp checked and not have all of my documents with me.

I would probably bubblegum a brick if I realized I was carrying without my CHL on me.

I never leave home without my wallet, keys, or cell phone. That way I always have my certificates on hand. I got into that habit because of my flying, and I don't want to get ramp checked and not have all of my documents with me.

Yeah I hear you. I haven't forgotten my wallet, key, etc in years. I was just in my pjs all day and threw on pants to go out the door. Remember carry piece but forgot my permission slip. That one won't happen again. Not worth the trouble that would cause me if a cop pulled me over:(

Been pulled over a few times before and had a gun with me. Told the cop when he approached that I had a concealed handgun with me, and that I had a permit. He wanted my drivers license, but never once have I been asked for the handgun permit. I've made a similar mistake about leaving the house without my wallet a few times and wondered what would happen if I got pulled over. Know my license number by heart and the first thing I would have done would have been to recite that!

Nope never happened to me yet. I think I fear that it might happen to much so I always check myself before leaving the house.

It's not that you will lose your CHL if you're carrying without it, it's that you might lose it. It is illegal to conceal carry with out it on your person that is true, but it is up to the discretion of the officer whether he's going to enforce and site you for it.

Regardless, I never know if the officer that pulls me over or what not is going to be cool or a jerk so I ensure I have it with me before I leave the house.

FWIW if you find yourself in that position(carrying concealed without your CHL) I'd sugest that you simply decide to OC it if at all possible.

Good point NK. Now that I think about it, the gun was in plain sight if one were to open the door. Then it just depends on where you are when you get pulled over.

i do believe in oregon its a crime and you will loose your CCW ... Don

Affirmative. That's why I was kind of in shock when I got home and realized what I did.

NK, I thought about OC when I got home. I could have just tucked in my shirt and then my gun would have been exposed. Fortunately there won't be a next time. I WILL have me CHL on me from now on!!!:s0155:

I happen to have this a few time late at night, my gf want to go grab something to eat or go to Winco/food4less (this is back when we were in pdx, now we moved to GP (Thank God we have no winco of food4less here!)) What I did when I found out I left my wallet at home but carry my piece was to let my gf drive the car and we find a nice quiet parking lot pulled over removed my firearm, unload the magazine, seperate them two and put in the trunk of my car. Never thought about OC, this is really good idea. I learn everything new from here everyday.... Do you have to have an ID to Open carry? Oh by the way PDX restricted on OC unless you have concealed carry permit.

I got called into work one night about 10:30pm to a vacant building (I do maintenance) and we had a fire sprinkler pipe that burst and was gushing water everywhere. I went in to get it shut down and carried my back up and when I got there the fire dept had shown up and I was afraid the cops would too. Took about 3 hours and got everything handled, but when I got home I just happened to check my CHL and it was expired by 3 months. I felt like a complete idiot.

That's a mistake that should never happen.

I'm pretty sure that the picture on the CHL is your ID.

I was at the PDX airport once and the address-change label on my driver's license had worn a bit from riding in my wallet. The expiration date was no longer legible. The TSA officer asked if I had any other government-issued photo ID. I showed her my CHL and she said have a nice flight.

I was at the PDX airport once and the address-change label on my driver's license had worn a bit from riding in my wallet. The expiration date was no longer legible. The TSA officer asked if I had any other government-issued photo ID. I showed her my CHL and she said have a nice flight.

I think he's asking can you open carry without your wallet and ID on you... FWIW I don't think it's illegal but I do think it might end badly. If a police officer checked you out and you are open carrying then tell him you don't have ID... I think he's going to be thinking only one thing, FELON!

The trickiest part for me is that I now live in a new hosue where the mailbox is a walk down the street. A lot of times I am carrying my piece and don't have my wallet. I never forget my wallet when I leave my house to drive, but there was a couple instances where I was about to walk to the mailbox with my piece and just realized that I would have been breaking the law by leaving my house with a concealed gun and no permit. On this note, I pretty much have made a rule that anytime I carry my gun, I also carry my wallet, so I don't make the grevious mistake that can cost me my freedom.

I live next to several law enforcement people, ranging from detectives to sheriffs and I worry that if they were in a bad mood one day watching me walk to the mailbox and decide to question me, that I could be in deep crap. I don't think it would happen, but better safe than sorry.

This is one of those cases, where commonsense may slip by you. If you decide to walk down the street with your gun, make sure you have a permit, because you never know when you may need to use your gun and when you will have to show your permit to the police.

My 2 cents.

Anyone know if it's possible to get a duplicate or triplicate of your CPL/CHL/CCW, and have alll three be valid?

The reason I ask is... If it were possible, just keep one in your car and one in your wallet/purse. Problem solved.

If it isn't possible, switch to OC for the moment. In Washington, as far as I know, it is still illegal to carry openly in your car without your CPL. That is a potential problem. If pulled over, I would be calm and honest. "Officer, I left my CPL at home and did not realize it. I am heading back in that direction right now, I was just looking for a place to make a u-turn." Sometimes honesty is the best policy. Remember, if you DID get stopped, and you had realized that you forgot your CPL, you're nerves are most likely gonna be shot anyway, and acting nervous is usually a good enough reason to get pulled out of your car.

For instance... When I lived in california, I was an armed guard. Carry to and from work in uniform with a handgun was perfectly legal. Well, one day, I had my pistol in my duty gear in the hatch of my car. My girlfriend at the time was driving my car. We got pulled over. Her ID was in the hatch of my car, with my gun, and I had left my wallet at home (laminated them the night before and totally forgot) talk about an "Oh Bubblegum!" moment. The officer never even followed her to the back of the car, as I think he was more worried about me and my BP Vest and assorted blades. Damn CHP.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top