JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ah ... respectfully back on subject here, I only posted this because I did not feel any earth movement. None. Resting in bed awake and prone to feel any earth movement. Different from loaded logging trucks. No movement felt at all.

Important? Dunno. We have from time to time endured small to moderate earthquakes off the coast that were not felt. Just how big do the earthquakes need to be to feel them at all? I suppose the big one will be felt by all indeed. Yikes! :)

Ah ... respectfully back on subject here, I only posted this because I did not feel any earth movement. None. Resting in bed awake and prone to feel any earth movement. Different from loaded logging trucks. No movement felt at all.

Important? Dunno. We have from time to time endured small to moderate earthquakes off the coast that were not felt. Just how big do the earthquakes need to be to feel them at all? I suppose the big one will be felt by all indeed. Yikes! :)
I think about 4.2? and that's real iffy.
When you actually feel one, there'll be no wondering.

A magnitude 3 can be felt, so a 4 (about 10 times more energy on the Richter scale) can certainly be felt. But when it comes to earthquakes, there are multiple factors that determine whether you'll feel it, such as your distance from the epicenter and how deep the quake may be. Magnitude 4 earthquakes are fairly common around the globe and happen at least on a weekly basis.

The first quake I ever experienced was the Scotts Mills "Spring Break" quake in 1993, which was a 5.6. I was in bed at the time and woke up to my entire apartment shaking. What was really weird was the 2 distinct movements I could feel - there was the side to side motion - knocking things off of shelves, but there was also a wave motion, almost like being on a boat in the ocean. It was very unnerving since I had been asleep and had never felt one before. At 5.6 and only about 15 miles from the epicenter, there was no missing this event. I've since experienced a few smaller quakes, but in reality, they can come and go without ever noticing them.

Here is a Richter scale chart - it's a logarithmic scale, which means each bump up the scale is a large increase in the overall energy of the quake:

richter_scale_graphic_representation.gif

Growing up in Socal we used to get tremors all the time. Especially in the late 70s & early 90s. Most of the time a sizable quake didn't follow. If we ever did have a quake of any size, 3.5 or better, there'd probably be aftershocks for a while.

Growing up in Socal we used to get tremors all the time. Especially in the late 70s & early 90s. Most of the time a sizable quake didn't follow. If we ever did have a quake of any size, 3.5 or better, there'd probably be aftershocks for a while.

I grew up in Pomona... we used to feel quakes all the time. After awhile it was ho-hum. People get freaked out but I used to enjoy the ride.

Was on the freeway traveling to work in downtown LA when the 1971 Sylmar quake hit. The road got really crazy for a bit. When I arrived at work at the phone company building on 3rd street downtown, there was a lot of damage. Elevators were out. Had to use stairs but there were a lot of cracks and tiles fallen etc. The building had additions so when I crossed from old building to new building on the 13th floor, there was a 1 foot separation and I could see all the way down to the ground. Really spooky. We went out onto the roof to watch the firetrucks run around doing nothing, then the first of the aftershocks hit and the town got real quiet... totally spooky. We went home and I got reassigned to a different office.

What was really weird was the 2 distinct movements I could feel - there was the side to side motion - knocking things off of shelves, but there was also a wave motion, almost like being on a boat in the ocean.

As far as I know, quakes often have one or the other types of movements. Shaking is due to sudden lateral shift of the fault, rolling is due to sudden subduction movement. Buildings have to be designed to handle both. But both in the same quake is interesting. :)

The phone company building I was in had the older section on pylons/pinions/poles driven or set deep that withstand lateral movement but caused the building to sway. The newer section was on some kind of foundation, kinda like bearings, that moved the entire building laterally from top to bottom. The difference tore the two buildings away from each other. Not too smart. ;):D

We didn't feel it. But, We had something leaning up against the phone table that tipped over about then, and we both looked at each other with a !WTF! expression, wondering how that could have happened.

Seeing this thread now vindicates both of us.

I'm back to refusing to believe in ghosts again.
Thanks OP. :D

I think the shockwave from the MOAB just got to La Grande. A moment ago there was a big thump and the whole house shuddered. Not a sound barrier type boom but something like a house falling down. :eek:o_O

I grew up in Pomona... we used to feel quakes all the time. After awhile it was ho-hum. People get freaked out but I used to enjoy the ride.

Was on the freeway traveling to work in downtown LA when the 1971 Sylmar quake hit. The road got really crazy for a bit. When I arrived at work at the phone company building on 3rd street downtown, there was a lot of damage. Elevators were out. Had to use stairs but there were a lot of cracks and tiles fallen etc. The building had additions so when I crossed from old building to new building on the 13th floor, there was a 1 foot separation and I could see all the way down to the ground. Really spooky. We went out onto the roof to watch the firetrucks run around doing nothing, then the first of the aftershocks hit and the town got real quiet... totally spooky. We went home and I got reassigned to a different office.

My sister and brother in law moved down to Santa Ana, CA in the late 1980s and they lived in an apartment and I recall a few times where the apartment was moving up and down for a seconds when a mild earth quake hit. I was living in Sacramento 1989 when the Loma Prieta earthquake hit. It was a long rolling motion that hit Sacramento. I was working at a diagnostic lab so I called to see if the hard drives crashed on the BSD servers that we running. But nothing happened. I was watch the news at that time the EQ hit the sets were swing inside the newsroom. Some of my cousins where at the world series game at Candle Stick park.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top