Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

anybody familiar with this kind of ammo?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by xm193, Aug 24, 2012.

1. xm193

xm193 seatac Active Member

.22 WESTERN SUPER -X W.R.F HOLLOW POINTS

Photo0425.jpg

Photo0425.jpg

2. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

It's Winchester Rim Fire ammo. They still manufacture wrf but it is spendy $0.25 a round or more. My buddy used to shoot 22 LR ammo out if his WRF because the lack and cost of ammo. I would'nt say it's safe as he would split a lot of cases but in his opinion it was better than not shooting at all. Your box of ammo is collectible but not too valuable I've seen that same box of ammo sell for around $10 a box but it's a nice conversation topic.

3. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Yes, it is .22 Winchester Rim Fire caliber. It is not much more spendy than .22 Magnum (WMR), and Winchester does a batch of it every few years because of all the old pump Winchesters (M1890) out there so durable and still in use. It is a line item in Midway, showing Winchester and CCI as manufacturers at 7.99 and 12.29 a box respectively. I believe one of the foreign manufacturers load this as well: Sellior/Belliot, Aguila or Wolf.

The market for your old box of ammo would be to someone with a good old Winchester pump gun that would like a box to display with it. If it is full, it could bring probably much more than $10.

An interesting and very useful piece of information about the .22WRF, is that it is the same diameter case and bullet as a .22 Magnum (just a bit shorter in overall length). It is of greater diameter than .22 Long Rifle, hence the split cases described above and poor accuracy (a bad practice to shoot Long Rifles in a WRF or WMR chamber). However, shooting a WRF cartridge in a WMR chamber is perfectly safe and quite accurate.

I always keep a few boxes of this around to use as a "low-power" load for my .22 Magnums, resulting in less meat damage.

xm193 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

Really interesting thread and thanks for posting and replying to all of you. This was all new information to me.

Best,

-Bill