JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't used any Hornady pistol dies, I use mostly lee or dillon because I seat and crimp in 2 steps. Are you saying the expander doesnt come apart? That would be very annoying, I clean my dies quite frequently.

I would probably just try and clean it out with a q tip as best you can.

Not real familiar but the American Series says "Internal spindles, expanders and seating stems are interchangeable with other brands on the market."

I have one set of the hornady handgun nitride dies for 38/357 because I needed an extra set for doing .351 wsl and they were on sale and available on the shelf. They are okay but my Lee 4 die set gets the bulk of use on 38/357 because of the powder through expander. The sizing die works well for .351 wsl. since I load those on a turret and measure/weigh each charge. They are okay they work. I hose them out with brake clean over a pie pan with a rag and swab them out with a q-tip when they need cleaning.

I'm having a lot of trouble with these dies; I can't take the expander apart to clean, nor can I do the same to measure the expander ball. They are heavy but they just feel like crap to me.

I don't want to hear hate on Hornady! I've got a set on the way for 6.5x55 Swede. :(

I preferred them years ago when I purchased several caliber sets. Not current on latest and greatest, but they have been very good to me over time.
I have and use a variety of brands, but still find Hornady a favorite choice.

I don't want to hear hate on Hornady! I've got a set on the way for 6.5x55 Swede. :(
Every company that makes dies thinks they have built a better mousetrap. I suppose one would have to have something that looks unique in the field to advertize. I've yet to have a set in any brand that I can't make work. Not usually a matter of good or bad in my experience, just somewhat different approaches to the same goal.

Last Edited:
Every company that makes dies thinks they have built a better mousetrap. I suppose one would have to have something that looks uniqie in the field to advertize. I've yet to have a set in any brand that I can't make work. Not usually a matter of good or bad in my experience, just somewhat different approaches to the same goal.

Agreed. Also, I'm not one to form a solid opinion without some kind of specific info either.

It was 5.56 ROGR IIRC. Some said it was likely fed through an automatic but cannot corroborate that.
I was using some old RCBS Lube with a pad when I first started reloading and had those problems. I'm guessing that there was an air of inexperience in there also.
I'm sure you will do fine with the Hornadys.;)

It was 5.56 ROGR IIRC. Some said it was likely fed through an automatic but cannot corroborate that.
I was using some old RCBS Lube with a pad when I first started reloading and had those problems. I'm guessing that there was an air of inexperience in there also.
I'm sure you will do fine with the Hornadys.;)

The only rifle brass I've used lube on was .30 carbine, and I used the RCBS lube/pad. It worked fine for that.

The only rifle brass I've used lube on was .30 carbine, and I used the RCBS lube/pad. It worked fine for that.
For bottleneck stuff I'm a big fan of imperial or hornady unique. Neither will dent shoulders and they are super schlick. A little different to use than a spray or lube pad but I like the results and never a stuck case even reforming brass to a different caliber.

For bottleneck stuff I'm a big fan of imperial or hornady unique. Neither will dent shoulders and they are super schlick. A little different to use than a spray or lube pad but I like the results and never a stuck case even reforming brass to a different caliber.

Hornady unique is my preference, it removes easier than imperial. I am a big fan of dillon's lube, I make my own from 99% iso and liquid lanolin.

Yes with a passion. Worst dies I have ever used. Not just preference but had issues. I had a .38/.357 set that wouldn't size properly. After sizing the bullet would drop in and had zero neck tension. Bought brand new. Called Hornady and was told I was using them wrong. Second issue was with a set of .223 dies. Cases would stick constantly even using imperial wax. I sold the .223 dies to someone who I warned about them and turned out to have the same issues, .38/357s went in the trash and I don't use Hornady products due to the customer service I received.

That's said not all of their products are bad, some I've used have been quite nice. I won't deal with a company that won't support their product. So I stick with mostly Dillon and RCBS.

my hornady 300blk dies have loaded 1000s with no issues.

no problem with hornady here. especially since they said theyd stop ammo sales to NY agencies unsupportive of 2A

I have Hornady dies in 6.5x55, .270 Win. and .270 WSM and all 3 sizing dies scratch the crap out the case necks. I hate Hornady dies and their customer service sucks, too. Won't respond to emails, other than an auto response to call their customer service line. Their bullets are okay, but I won't buy anymore of their .223 or .308 ammo, since they crimp all their primers in those loads now. As for dies, RCBS, Dillon, Redding and even Lyman and Lee before Hornady.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top