JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got a damaged and open package today (not expensive and inside doesn't look like anything missing/damaged so no biggie) and recently they dropped an old shotgun in shipping and completely shattered the stock.

Also FYI according to the reputable gun retailer when UPS breaks something they automatically deny the insurance claim 100% of the time. Then if you fight them over several months you might get the insurance you paid for. He said they probably figure that x% of people won't fight it when they deny the claim right off the bat.

I'm not trying to whine in this thread but I'm just curious if anyone else has seen a higher number of damaged packages by ups lately?

A number of years ago my friend sent a brand-new aluminum Hemi block to Kansas to be polished for a hot-rod project. It came back with all four outer corners of the deck surfaces dented and a chunk broken out of the pan rail. UPS denied his damage claim because it was "Improperly Packaged." He had a friend who was an executive with UPS tell him to forget about collecting on the insurance unless he was ready to sue them because that was the only way they would pay out.
When I worked at Freightliner we sent a prototype dash to Indiana for testing via FedEx Overnight. It arrived with a pair of forklift holes through the box and the dash.
In reality, for the number of packages they handle I think the damage rate is pretty low. That said, they should still pay up when they F___ up.

Lately I have had terrible shipping outcomes with all 3 major shipping guys.

Stuff smashed beyond recognition, some rare one-of-a-kind stuff too. Fortunately, in all cases, the seller refunded me promptly.

It seems to be worse lately due to the extremely high shipping volumes occurring due to CCP virus.

If you have to ship anything expensive take it to a UPS or FedEx store and have them box it up and ship it. When they manage to damage the contents they cannot contest it as they "properly boxed and shipped it".

I have filed claims in excess of $40,000 and have never had an issue.

The other secret is to ship overnight with delivery no later than 10am. The less time they have custody of your package the better.

Had a cylinder head shipped from Wisconsin, arrived with a sizable chunk broken out of it and a gaping hole in the box, they paid the claim within 7 days with out so much as a wimper! :confused:
IMG_20200727_194710.jpg

In the last few months, with both business and personal combined, I've had countless letters/packages take an eternity arrive, several disappear, one damaged but useable, and two (for all intents and purposes) completely destroyed. I've had two priority mail packages, one sent to me and the other one I sent, take way longer than the normal 2—3 days; one was 9, the other is 16 days and still counting after they finally found the damn thing. Throw in the Soviet-style lines at our local post office, the mail system is pretty much a third world joke at this point.

We have community mail boxes and I frequently receive the mail of other people.

We have a mailbox at our residence, but don't really use it because people so routinely rip it off; however, the little mail that does show up there has the same problem you mentioned of getting other people's mail stuffed in the wrong box. (All our regular mail is done at one of two PO boxes — a personal one and one for my side business.)

Nope.....
My damaged package of lead bullets was from the USPS (received today). But, it's nothing new. The last one was also damaged.

BTW.....my bullet supplier put in some extra bullets. YES....he's an outstanding guy. Trying to kind of make up for what the USPS did with the prior package. And (in my book) it wasn't even his fault.

Aloha, Mark

I've shipped millions of pounds of product via LTL's and I can say who the worst carriers are when it comes to moving freight.

I'm batting 75% on claims payout. 25% loss was due to the receiver not taking proper photos upon arrival or notating the POD.

Nope.....
My damaged package of lead bullets was from the USPS (received today). But, it's nothing new. The last one was also damaged.

I noticed with the last couple shipments of bullets, the box was as soft and pliable as a moccasin, but still intact because the vendor had put so many wraps of shipping tape around it. :s0112:

In futuristic 2021, with transportation via sea, land and air, a workforce of almost a half a million, in the wealthiest nation on the planet, using a global always on 24/7/365 computer network to track commerce ... can't pull off delivering an (expletive) letter-sized envelop from a guy in Oregon to a brokerage in Pennsylvania in less than 16 days (and counting).

However, in the wild, wild west:

image-placeholder-title.jpg

:p

In futuristic 2021, with transportation via sea, land and air, a workforce of almost a half a million, in the wealthiest nation on the planet, using a global always on 24/7/365 computer network to track commerce ... can't pull off delivering an (expiative) letter-sized envelop from a guy in Oregon to a brokerage in Pennsylvania in less than 16 days (and counting).

However, in the wild, wild west:

View attachment 808375

:p
That's Nuffin
had a package ship from Czechoslovakia the long way round take less then 15 days, 4 of which were sitting in customs in N.Y! :confused:

I finally see on the tracking on that package that it is being returned undeliverable, after they attempted to deliver said at an address in a different city than is on the label. Un-Fing-believable. So, I get to recreate that packet and send it again. This time via UPS. :mad:

If you have to ship anything expensive take it to a UPS or FedEx store and have them box it up and ship it. When they manage to damage the contents they cannot contest it as they "properly boxed and shipped it".

I have filed claims in excess of $40,000 and have never had an issue.

The other secret is to ship overnight with delivery no later than 10am. The less time they have custody of your package the better.
I tried the less time in their custody and it still failed. Used fedex for 2 standard size pallets and one small pallet. They deliver the small one 4 days late and never bothered to deliver the larger ones. The receiver had to personally go down to the hub and inquire about them 6 days after promised delivery and pick them up himself as nobody had a clue what was going on.

A while back I found several boxes from Midway on my front steps, all opened, nothing missing. Later I got an email from a neighbor saying they had been delivered to his house and he had opened them without looking at the labels. Totally understandable and he was very apologetic. Some of it was tactical bolt on stuff, wrist braces and forends. He still waves when I pull into the driveway, so I guess we're good. :)

EDIT: And yes, I still get beat up packages every now and then, not sure if it's more than before. The bad one is when they leave stuff by the garage door where I won't see it from the entryway and might back over it with the car.

Good info here folks. I especially like the info regarding trying to get insurance. For me it's more the principle of, "they broke it, I paid for insurance, they should honor it." But instead with ups anyway it seems to really amount to a scam because you have the option of paying for insurance but they have no intention of honoring it. So they are up-selling something on each package (that u choose to pay for) but it isn't real.

I love the "have Ups or fedex package it" idea. I never thought of that. I'm going to use that idea next week on something I have to mail out!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top