JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked one up and it is very nice, but things aren't adding up in regards to the configuration of the rifle.

I have quite a few questions about sights, bbl lengths, magazine lengths and finishes. I collect older Winchesters (1873s, 1876s, 1895s) but this is my first 1894 and according to Madis it was manufactured in 1898, but the polishing room records at Winchester say 1901. It is chambered in .25-35 WCF.

I am in the process of getting a factory letter from the Cody Museum, but between now and then I just thought I would ask you guys...

1. Is 21" a barrel lenth Winchester used? The barrel does not look to be cut down. At least none of the tell-tale signs are there.
2. Is 14" a magazine lenth Winchester used? Would this be considered a 2/3 magazine?
3. Did Winchester ever ship firearms with Marbles peep rear and Marbles Sheard front sights along with a flip up adjustable rear sight?

I have found no other pictures online of other rifles set up with this same configuration which worries me. Could it be a special order rifle?

I forgot to add that the wood to metal fit is quite literally perfect!

Thanks ahead of time for any help anyone can provide!

34xg9dy.jpg

1znv31g.jpg

24y8vox.jpg

wjb04p.jpg

dfhfl.jpg

n68i8o.jpg

1zp7e4z.jpg

v7gor8.jpg

eledds.jpg

vpht04.jpg

a32v51.jpg

2qkuj5x.jpg

1zp3334.jpg

the reciever may have been made '98 and not made into a rifle until '01, I don't think that would be too unusual. Winchester made many rifles and carbines to order, so your combination of barrel length (rifle) and magazine tube may be correct. Just wait for the letter, records are pretty good for winchester, I am sure they will shed light on your gun.

Pretty sure the sights are and afterthought by an owner, probably not factory.

Pirateer not many people know this but the US Military used Model 1894's for guarding the Logging industry here in the NW. The details of these rare rifles are just starting to filter out through the collector market. Now your rifle most likely had nothing to do with that. But while reading up on how this unusual chain of events happened. It was mentioned that there was 1. a shortage of Springfields and Enfields during the early years of WWI. 2. Winchester had a HUGE back log of Model 1894 rifles they couldn't sell (due to the economic conditions and the war call up) 3. Winchester contacted the War Dept. And suggested they could help out arming the Men who were being hired and tasked with protecting the Logging industry (mostly Sitka Spruce used in Aircraft) from Strikes and Labor disputes. Or anything else that might hold up production and delievery of the wood.

<broken link removed>

It is not unlikely that the slow build up of Model 1894s could have started 15-18 years before. And that is the reason you have two dates.

And maybe not but I enjoyed sharing.

I can tell you that Winchester DID use other manufactures sights case in point the Model 1985 was offered with an options LYMAN receiver mounted peep site. And I have seen Marbles tang sights on a number of models from that era.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top