Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Any Wildland Fire Fighters Out There ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 45alive, Jul 31, 2015.

1. 45alive

45alive South Douglas County- Orygun Well-Known Member

First I want to say a Big ''THANK YOU !'' From the bottom of my Wife's heart and My heart. :s0116: You brave Men and Women are Hero's to us and have stopped Wild fires that were very close to our home and spared us and our property. :s0069: :s0047:Being in a severe fire danger right now I want to ask some questions about Wildfires. Can any Wild land firefighters please tell me if it is possible for a wild fire to grow Thousands of Acres in a few hours ? :s0150: I know there are lots of variables, but do not know the info.:s0153: I am asking. Thank You to the ''Unsung Hero's !'' :s0155: You Folks have ''B@1!S !'' :s0160:

2. Roop

Roop La Grande Active Member

You are welcome.
    I have been working for the forest service for 12 years and i can assure you, 5000 acres in one afternoon is nothing. I realize that timber and logging slash is a slower burning fuel than grass, but in our current conditions, grass fires can grow 100,000 acres in an afternoon. When dry fuels, steep terrain and winds team up you get extreme fire behavior and can see things like the 2002 biscuit fire in your country.

3. oli700

oli700 Rogue Valley Well-Known Member

27 years here.....My team is taking that fire the Stouts fire this morning however I had to stay in Medford because we have let several folks leave our unit to initial attack the Stout fire.
    Since we are going into possible lightning after this heat wave and stripped the barn for Stouts and Cable Crossing I gave up my position on the team to stay behind and lead the charge into the possible lighting bust this weekend.
    We are stripped, no contract crews in Jack,Jo and Douglas, no heavy or medium helo's in Southern Oregon other than the couple we have cornered on contract.

ETA....6000 acres in a day is not out of the ordinary fire grown this time of year in grass and juniper.......6000 acres of timber in a day IS a big deal.
    We had Sugarloaf, Blue Basin,Schoolhouse and Corner Cr out of Dayville this summer already....35,000 some acres. We handed it back to the district in 10 days because it doesnt take much to put out grass and even less to mop it up, the crews in Douglas will be mopping up till the snow flies and it takes a little more than a couple SEATS to slow it down

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    U201491, clearconscience and 45alive like this.
  4. 45alive

THANKS AGAIN ! Please be Careful and come back Safe, Homes and Trees are replaceable, Your Live's are Not ! I figured the Douglas crews are gonna be Real Busy. The Cable Crossing is a tough one and the Stouts is a tough one. The Stouts is walking distance from our Home and at the rate it is burning we are concerned. I will add some pics of the smoke plume from the early stage of fire.

U201491 likes this.
  5. 45alive

fire1.jpg pics

U201491 likes this.
  6. oli700

Today I talked to a fellow Div Sup on the team on Stouts, He was scouting the Cow Cr area.......says resources are short right now and hoping more filter it.....tapping into Alaska, North Carolina , Florida.......grim

Good news is the conflagration act has been enacted. This takes the urban interface (homes) component out of the wildland teams hair. So rural fire departments from all over Oregon will start to filter into the area. Their job is to triage and defend individual homes and structures so wildland resources can concentrate on stopping the fire edge.
    It will be a State Fire Marshal team integrating with ODF Team 1. Team 1 will support their efforts......this is a good thing for the home and land owners.

7. 45alive

Thank You for the update ! ALL You Guys KICK bubblegum !:s0004::s0151: :s0160: :s0090: :s0134:

8. oli700

Your too kind......in case I get busy on initial attack pn the Rogue Vally you can keep up with the current situation here

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/state/38/

in the end you are in good hands out there just be patient and it will all come together.......right now its " controlled chaos"

U201491 and 45alive like this.
  9. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

oli700 thanks for what you do. I am not one in a fire danger as I live in town:(

But have to say those fires do suck for the people who live in the sticks as in 45alive. Stay safe everyone and hope for rain soon!

U201491 and 45alive like this.
  10. oli700

seriously you guys we are honored to serve the citizens of Oregon.....we are fueled by the support and gratitude we get from folks.
    Sometimes things don't go our way and we cant win them all but rest assured we are giving it everything we got and some.....there are some very tired firefighters sleeping in the dirt tonight:cool:

Sgt Nambu, U201491, spectra and 2 others like this.
  11. Provincial

Provincial Near Salem, OR Well-Known Member

Speaking as one who has worked directly with wildland fire fighters, I have nothing but respect and admiration for them. We had 9 helicopters based in our hay fields fighting a fire about 30 years ago. It was a pleasure to work with them.

:):)

U201491, oli700 and 45alive like this.
  12. oli700

Ended up up on Stouts .......everything going good. Took the evacuation notices down yesterday. Team 2 transitioning in tomorrow so team 1 is going home. The fire is flanked but one last burn on Saturday will button it up if team 2 can hold it......wish them luck

Sgt Nambu and U201491 like this.
  13. 45alive

Thank You, :s0067:You guys are doing an outstanding job ! :s0115:I know you said this fire could be going until the snow flies:s0099: but I feel it will be over soon !:s0155: :s0160:

U201491 and 41Slinger like this.
  14. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

The fire over here has burned over 200,000 acres. We look out our window and the mountains glow orange at night. Spooky looking.

15. oli700

I am home for a day off now......it should downsize personnel quite a bit over the next week but there will be smoke and hot spots, interior flare ups till a significant weather change happens.
    Its just big and there are unburned patches in the interior that might make a column from time to time.....or trees falling in interior ash pits igniting.....but after this weekend there should not be any significant perimeter growth

Speaking of trees, wait till the next big stormy blow before you venture into the fire this fall. .....green trees are starting to fall and until the wind blows on them real good it wont be settled in there or really safe for people to be in the heavy burned areas. I ate my lunch up on top of The Drew Rd , sat there for an hour and heard 8 big green hooters come down in that time, other divisions were reporting the same activity.

Sgt Nambu, 45alive and BoonDocks36 like this.
  16. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

Seven year back, I walked into the Street Ministry I worked for... I soon noticed "Pilot Jack" was not Present... So I asked about him.... He was flying Borate Planes... Side flash... On another forum, I had friends who were giving Hour by Hour reports, of two California Fires, one in Butte County, the other in Del Norte.... I told them about Pilot Jack, being "On Mission" and they said they of course would Pray for such a man...

Turned out, Pilot Jack was flying the East/West runs on the Del Norte Fire... Dropping right ON the property of the one Lady up there who knew me... Knowing Jack....

I am sure ~45~ Is doing the same... But it is uniquely interesting how closely tied we are to one another....

30+ years ago, I arrived at my school at 6:00am, to start working, except our Entire Parking lot had been made into a Kitchen & Aid Station, plus whatever else supplies.... Our fields out back were covered with Orange sleeping bags, maybe three football fields???? And me, living Only across the street heard NOTHING in the setup stages.... But knew the Fire, for the smoke... Just east of the Russian River, Sonoma County....

philip thank you to all Fire and Medic teams out there in the brush.... :)

45alive likes this.
  17. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Thanks to you wildland guys..you earn the respect of structural guys fast. I worked the Gerrish Valley conflag back in 1978, where we had few structures to defend, but we had to use our structural equipment to fight wild land. I was on that fire for 48 hours straight and hauled probably 20 loads of water. A very weird feeling driving around in that complete smoke cover and seeing fire all around me.

Stay safe !!

18. Oathkeeper1775

Oathkeeper1775 Coast Range Well-Known Member

I fought a wildland fire in Korea (Rodriguez Range) back in 1980; it was one of the most difficult things I ever had to do.

My rough terrain jumping never worked-out very well either...

So, I too have much-respect for fire-fighters.

Sgt Nambu and 45alive like this.
  19. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

What if we limited fighting wildfires to just ones near communities, or at least back off dramatically and let them burn more and fight them less?
    Wouldn't there be less of them eventually as dead trees and brush are removed/burnt by nature?

A lot of people have been saying the over management of forests has created conditions that allow these massive fires. Also the beetle population would be kept in check.

Seems to make sense, but what do I know.

20. oli700

Along with most the green trees. Since organized fire suppression started in Oregon it has left 110 years of fuel build up. Once it catches it burns everything that would normally survive in a forest that has been allowed to self clean every 5 years or so.
    The fires that burn now are predominantly "stand replacement" . So in a since you would be right but eventually your view would be vast burn scars choked up with non-native weeds and fire adapted brush that grows much faster and steals water and nutrients from any tree that tries to grow back

A lot of people don't know what they are talking about. It is under/no management of unburned fuel that allows massive fires
    Since people have been suppressing fire Mother Nature can't do her job. People have done a poor job at forest clean up......especially since the environmentalists have all but shut down logging on Federal lands in Oregon
    Forests in the Pacific Northwest need to burn, are designed to burn.
    Either we cut , pile and burn on our terms or Mother Nature does it on hers.