JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Planning a flight to Grant County to visit Sheriff Palmer in about 2 week's the 22nd of February for my Oregon CCP

Sheriff Palmer is a true believer in the 2nd amendment, the right to carry, and the right to armed self defense. Where other counties in Oregon flat out refuse to issue licenses, require business reasons, and so on, Sheriff Palmer has said flat out that "Self Defense" is an "other legitimate demonstrated need".

Sheriff Palmer also even offered to pick us at the airport if he is available to do so and if he is not, The airport has a courtesy car at the FBO we can use to go to town if he is unavailable. No appointment necessary and he will issue to out of state residents he locks the door at 4pm on the dot.

I plan on departing from Vancouver early morning in a brand new 2010 cirrus it takes about 1.5 hours to get from Vancouver, Wa to the John Day area then figure myself and 3 others to be photographed and finger printed 2 hours 1.5 hours back to Vancouver. Fuel will run about $175 for the flight divide that by 4 about $43.75ea rider. There will be a weight limit of 200lbs per person.

If any one is ready for an adventure please PM me so we can get our schedule's sorted also bring your camera's.

I will be going with our without others but would hate to have to go alone.

Im an Oregonian but if you cant fill the seats I would love to go. I have been meaning get my ccp and this sound like it would be a great experience. I dont want to bump a Washingtonian though as i think this would be a great chance to get their things in order. let me know.

Per FAA rules we can only split the fuel costs equally between all riders so if its 1, 2, or 3 riders we split the fuel costs equally between us. You also must have your hand gun safety certificate and application. If your slightly over 200lbs it is ok. Just have to keep loading at or below gross weight and CG limits.

Application Can Be Found Here

The Sheriff requests that non-resident applicants include a stamped self-addressed envelope with their applications.

I'd love to go, but I need to take the course first. I'll see if I can get into one in time to make it work. I believe Fisherman's in Delta Park offers a course the second Saturday of every month. If so, I'll get it done this weekend and contact you via PM Sat. afternoon to find out if you still have a seat available.
I was planning on getting my Utah permit to avoid the headaches others have had with Oregon.
Oh yeah... 180lbs.:D

Im an Oregonian but if you cant fill the seats I would love to go. I have been meaning get my ccp and this sound like it would be a great experience. I dont want to bump a Washingtonian though as i think this would be a great chance to get their things in order. let me know.

natef as an Oregonian you might need to get your CWP from your own county, if I'm wrong someone will be along to correct me shortly. ;)

I believe if you are an Oregon resident you must apply at the sheriffs office in the county you reside.

Just FYI: I have a friend from Vancouver who got his CHL in Multnomah County, he put as his business reason that he "sometimes has to come to Portland for trainings, or meetings" they approved it, when he asked them what was a legitimate business reason, the clerk said that they get people who put "Because I believe it's my right to bear arms." or "Because I want One" And they approve it. I'm not sure if it's just certain people there (Multnomah County Sheriff off 122nd) or if it's the county, or maybe he got lucky, but that's what he was told when he applied for it.

Luckily I'm an Oregon resident and didn't need to prove a business reason or pick and choose counties.

What is needed to get the handgun safety certificate?
Nevermind, I see it just takes a NRA certified course with handgun safety.

Where can you find out information regarding that? I spend a lot of time in Oregon, and it sucks having to stow my popgun when I cross the Columbia.

Where can you find out information regarding that? I spend a lot of time in Oregon, and it sucks having to stow my popgun when I cross the Columbia.

You just need to have proof you have taken a NRA approved safety class that had pistols as the main component or at least an component of the course. Or if you are former LE or Military, the certificate proving you are handgun competent, I think it's a DD12 or DD14, something like that. IDK since I'm neither.

I know that you can get a class at the multnomah county sheriff's office, I believe they have it twice a month.

Also you can get a course a little bit cheaper as well. I got mine through Howard Baker, he's an NRA instructor out in Forest Grove, I think it was $30 for 1 person or $25/person if you brought a friend and the both of you took it. I lost his number, but got the referral to him from Powder Horn gun shop.

So is this trip postponed? If so, when?

yes, i dont know.

what i do know:

the current multnomah county sheriff danial staton is handing out concealed handgun licenses to washington residents. this is shift in policy from when bob skipper was sheriff.

this is the current policy and i am told it is going to change soon. you will need to write a letter stating that you "travel to portland often in the regular course of your business" and put it on company letterhead or provide a copy of your business license.

multnomah county issued me a renewal today. it should arrive in a couple weeks. it the past i have held license in multnomah county and clackamas county with a renewal in clackamas county that recently expired. the clackamas countie sheriff's current policy is doesnt issue or renew to out of state residents unless the individual either pays taxes in oregon or owns property in oregon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top